U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 AM

199 posts, read 173,566 times
How do Monroe and Orange compare to Trumbull, Milford and Fairfield? Are they much small, less shopping, etc... or is there still an adequate amount of shopping, etc. but they are just a bit farther from the main highways?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 11:50 AM

10,332 posts, read 7,229,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1r View Post
How do Monroe and Orange compare to Trumbull, Milford and Fairfield? Are they much small, less shopping, etc... or is there still an adequate amount of shopping, etc. but they are just a bit farther from the main highways?

Thanks.
Monroe feels a bit more isolated since it's located between 84 and the Merritt. The shopping there is not great and you'd need to travel to Trumbull, Danbury, Stratford, Milford etc. for a variety. There's not a whole lot going on there, and it's not convenient enough to places where there is activity. The taxes are also high for what you get in return. I'm not a fan of the town at all but I'm sure I'll be contended on that by someone.

Orange is a great option depending on your commute. If you have kids, the school system is one of the best in the state. Orange is a tiny town. It shares the Milford/Orange mega shopping area on Route 1, so it's convenient. It has direct access to both 95 and 15. There is a very small historical center with not much there. It doesn't match Milford and Fairfield on activities, walkable downtowns, beaches/parks, etc - BUT you are close to Milford if you want to use them.

The only person I would not recommend Orange to is the train commuter, since it'll add quite a bit of time to your commute.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:59 AM

199 posts, read 173,566 times
Thanks so much for the info. Wife and I both work at home so commute is no problem. We do have a 3 year old so good schools is a huge plus. I'll definitely take a look at Orange.

Thanks again.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:44 PM

Go for it, the high school is rated even higher than Fairfield's. You're so close to Milford so you can take advantage of all its qualities, except for maybe legally parking at town beaches. But some aren't checked for parking passes too often (unfortunate for us taxpayers).

Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 PM

326 posts, read 586,043 times
MILFORD!!! FTW

You could always send the kids to private school if you want to stretch their minds, else like everyone said its a decent school system and if you push them in home to excel in school you won't have any problems.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 PM

4,772 posts, read 7,553,123 times
Monroe has an abundance of restaurants, grocery stores, and shopping centers along both Rt. 25 and Rt. 111. The only thing lacking are big box stores and malls. Trumbull has a few shopping centers and restaurants, plus a Home Depot and a few malls which are located on the Bridgeport and Stratford border. Trumbull and Monroe are suburban in character, and both are very family-oriented towns with numerous activities and parks, and very good schools. I remember you mentioning you wanted a larger lot size; most of Monroe has one acre or more zoning, and Trumbull has a wider mix of lot sizes. Orange is rather rural by comparison, (not sure of the typical lot size) but there is a LOT of shopping along the post road in Orange, and you would be very near the commercial area of Milford. Since all those towns have good schools and commuting isn't an issue, your deciding factor will be whether you prefer rural or a more suburban town. You should have a complete look at all the towns (not just drive through the main roads as that would be an inaccurate assessment) and decide for yourself which is more appealing.

Editing to say that if you want a more rural feel, look into Oxford, which has good schools, and the zoning there is one and a half acres. You would have more limited shopping there, though.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Monroe has an abundance of restaurants
Your definition of abundance is clearly different from mine.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:07 PM

4,772 posts, read 7,553,123 times
I can think of a dozen right off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are more.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I can think of a dozen right off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are more.
I should apologize, you're right. There is a good quantity. I guess my beef is more that the quantity of quality and unique places to eat is very small. I've eaten at a bunch and been impressed by few. This is a trend for upper FFC for me. El Coyote is a standout for me in Monroe.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 PM

14,153 posts, read 22,021,694 times
Monroe has many stores too now. It does not have a major mall or any of the big box retailers but then again how often do you need to go to them. You can easily drive to Trumbull or Danbury.

As for Orange, I would not call it rural or small. Orange has about 14,000 people so I would not consider that small. I would say it is very suburban in character. It does have a lot of shopping and you would be close to New Haven for entertainment and culture.

While both of these towns are nice, I would have to recommend looking into the shoreline towns east of New Haven. They are beautiful and offer a more relaxing lifestyle IMHO. check into Branford, Guilford or Madison. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut