U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:02 PM

247 posts, read 313,363 times
Default Plumbing Issue - Shower Hot then Cold then Hot

Turn the shower on and let it warm up, hop in and not too long after the water starts getting colder until it's ice cold.

I then turn off the shower and turn it back on and wait about a minute and it will usually switch back over to hot.

When this occurs, keeping the shower on and trying to turn it up (i.e. hotter) has no effect on the cold water coming out.

The hot water heater doesn't appear to be running out of hot water on us, it seems more like a sensing issue?

I don't really know much about plumbing, but had someone come by and they're recommending a new hot water heater to the tune of $2,500-3 grand.

Anyone with plumbing knowledge know if we are getting ripped off here or if this sounds like the legit problem and cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,239,117 times
LOL Holy crap! I'll put in a HWH for about half that. I doubt it's your hot water heater...but maybe.

All jokes aside, couple ? before giving an educated reply.

1. Do you have a tank style hot water heater? (The typical cylinder that is electric or gas fired.) Or do you have a hot water coil in your furnace?

2. Do you have a tankless HWH, and if so do you know if you have hard water?

3. (Okay more than a couple) What kind of faucet is in your bath. Single knob with separate temp control, three knobs with shower or tub selector etc.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
LOL Holy crap! I'll put in a HWH for about half that. I doubt it's your hot water heater...but maybe.

All jokes aside, couple ? before giving an educated reply.

1. Do you have a tank style hot water heater? (The typical cylinder that is electric or gas fired.) Or do you have a hot water coil in your furnace?

2. Do you have a tankless HWH, and if so do you know if you have hard water?

3. (Okay more than a couple) What kind of faucet is in your bath. Single knob with separate temp control, three knobs with shower or tub selector etc.

I'll get you the answers on the first two tomorrow. On the third one, the multiple knobs with shower/tub selector

Old 07-06-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyfromMA View Post
I'll get you the answers on the first two tomorrow. On the third one, the multiple knobs with shower/tub selector
Okay cool. The hot water heater in #1 looks like a round white tube about 6 feet tall and 2 feet around.

A hot water coil means your furnace is the source of hot water. When you take a shower, do you hear the furnace fire up?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:10 PM

22,296 posts, read 11,211,966 times
Could it be the hi/low on the furnace? I remember that was happening to me and realized the hi temp was 160. So the water wasn't warming up enough. I turned it to 180 and there weas enough hot water to run shower with. I'm not too familiar with plumbing but just giving another possibility.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 PM

74 posts, read 68,697 times
isolate the problem. turn hot water on in kitchen or bath faucet. does the same thing happen? if so, problem with supply

if the water stays hot, your shower valve is probably effed up

Old 07-07-2011, 07:25 AM

13,838 posts, read 21,172,860 times
$2,500 for a regular hot water heater is a rip off. I paid less than half that in an emergency situation recently and that was over-priced by a few hundred bucks. Get other quotes if you do decide to get a new heater.

That said since there is hot water, I am not sure if it is the heater. Does this happen anywhere else in the house (sinks, other tubs...)? If not it sounds more like the shower valve. You should get a plumber to look at it. Not sure where you are but I have used Aeillo in emergency situations and they were decent but pricey. Jay

Old 07-07-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
$2,500 for a regular hot water heater is a rip off. I paid less than half that in an emergency situation recently and that was over-priced by a few hundred bucks. Get other quotes if you do decide to get a new heater.

That said since there is hot water, I am not sure if it is the heater. Does this happen anywhere else in the house (sinks, other tubs...)? If not it sounds more like the shower valve. You should get a plumber to look at it. Not sure where you are but I have used Aeillo in emergency situations and they were decent but pricey. Jay
Definetly agree with that.

The reason I was asking what type of system he had is boiler fired tankless have a mix valve. Sometimes those mix valves go bad and the water temp fluctuates a lot. If it's a wall mounted tankless, they have a "flow" valve as well, and most times I've seen hard water deposits screw with them as well...and or it could be the fixture in the tub itself, but I'd probably argue against it as there's really nothing in there that can change on the fly like that. It either works, or it doesn't.

The issue I would have using another fixture in the house to see if the same thing happens is water flow rates will not be the same. This may only be a problem for that mix valve for instance, at certain water flow rates that a kitchen sink may not meet or go past.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 AM

Only happens in the shower, nowhere else, which is why I didn't think we needed a new tank.

We have a tankless water system that is GAS operated. Any advice appreciated!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Also, my bad, it's a single knob that you turn to select cold or hot water, with a separate slider beneath for the tub or shower faucet switching.

Not sure about the "hard water" and if we have that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut