Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times

Advertisements

All things being equal, I'd take the Milford job at 80K. It's a big move up, and that's what you're looking for. Look for your next job to put you in the 100K+ range.... 85K in Stamford is not going to improve your lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
All things being equal, I'd take the Milford job at 80K. It's a big move up, and that's what you're looking for. Look for your next job to put you in the 100K+ range.... 85K in Stamford is not going to improve your lifestyle.
I agree with everyone that Milford for $80K is the superior and more feasible choice. However, my co-worker just told me that the same recruiter called her about the SAME job. What dirty business this is. Recruiters are just salesmen. I'm not so sure I want to work with this recruiter after all. I don't like others choosing my career path. They make every single job sound like it's a "great opportunity" and "great worklife balance" and "great people to work with," etc. Sigh.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree with everyone that Milford for $80K is the superior and more feasible choice. However, my co-worker just told me that the same recruiter called her about the SAME job. What dirty business this is. Recruiters are just salesmen. I'm not so sure I want to work with this recruiter after all. I don't like others choosing my career path. They make every single job sound like it's a "great opportunity" and "great worklife balance" and "great people to work with," etc. Sigh.
Recruiters are just salesmen.

Some have been known to recruit for jobs that don't exist to add you to their "list." In my opinion they offer nothing but saving some leg-work. I never used them-- preferring to manage the vital hiring process myself.

In any case, for you, I would recommend that you go with it. The recruiter who brings you in is no reflection on you, and you could be passing up an excellent opportunity without reason. Yes they are salesmen, but they are often key to getting in to good companies and there are opportunities you will never hear about without one. You're not marrying the recruiter... Just availing yourself of their services to improve your own situation.

I would also recommend you keep the fact that you are considering other opportunities very quiet at your current job. When I heard that my employees were working with a recruiter I stopped considering them for internal promotions, important assignments, etc., knowing that their loyalties likely lay elsewhere.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:35 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Don't be discouraged. If you showed any doubt about the Milford gig, he's going to continue looking for people to staff it. Tell him you WANT IT.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Recruiters are just salesmen.

Some have been known to recruit for jobs that don't exist to add you to their "list." In my opinion they offer nothing but saving some leg-work. I never used them-- preferring to manage the vital hiring process myself.

In any case, for you, I would recommend that you go with it. The recruiter who brings you in is no reflection on you, and you could be passing up an excellent opportunity without reason. Yes they are salesmen, but they are often key to getting in to good companies and there are opportunities you will never hear about without one. You're not marrying the recruiter... Just availing yourself of their services to improve your own situation.

I would also recommend you keep the fact that you are considering other opportunities very quiet at your current job. When I heard that my employees were working with a recruiter I stopped considering them for internal promotions, important assignments, etc., knowing that their loyalties likely lay elsewhere.

Good luck.
Every single job I ever had after college was obtained through a recruiter, sometimes with a little networking or direct application. That's usually how it is in the accounting field. Most accountants get their jobs through recruiters, while the remainder get it through networking or direct application.

The particular job that this recruiter is trying to sell me is also available for application directly on the internet, on the company's website or Simply Hired, etc. So even if I applied to it on my own, it would trigger the involvement of a recruiter regardless. Again, that's how jobs in the accounting/tax profession are filled.

You are correct, however that recruiters can be a great service to job seekers. They often help prepare you for interviews and tell you what to expect and what types of questions you will face. They also tell you information about the company that the employer may not tell you directly. But in my experience overall, I have had one great recruiter and a few bad ones who will do anything to sell the job. I've even had staffing firm lie to me about the worklife balance at a job I interviewed for. And another recruiter told me that that recruiter was lying. In reality, the job ended up requiring at least 60 hours a week. NO THANKS!

Last edited by nep321; 07-11-2011 at 02:29 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 04:49 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
80K in Milford or 85K in Stamford.

You honestly need to ask us which one is better?

If Milford is 80K, then the Stamford position had better be no less than 100K.

Actually, i'm not even sure that a 25% premium would be worth going to Stamford. Avoid it like the plague, IMHO.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
80K in Milford or 85K in Stamford.

You honestly need to ask us which one is better?

If Milford is 80K, then the Stamford position had better be no less than 100K.

Actually, i'm not even sure that a 25% premium would be worth going to Stamford. Avoid it like the plague, IMHO.
That's what I figured. The recruiter was telling me that it would be rather easy to find a 1 br apartment for $1,350 in Stamford, with a washer & dryer included. Something inside my brain was telling me that he's lying.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
A very small, older 1BR, and w/d is unlikely. Just look at realtor.com listings.

A friend of mine has a studio for that price, but it's tiny and no W/D.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
nep321, The critical question is whether or not you trust the Milford corp and opportunity long-term. Recruiters will say anything to get the sale, so your gut feel matters more than anything they tell you about any corp.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
nep321, The critical question is whether or not you trust the Milford corp and opportunity long-term. Recruiters will say anything to get the sale, so your gut feel matters more than anything they tell you about any corp.
Yeah exactly. I am probably going to decline the interview, if I get one. I'm not wasting a vacation day for that. Just because a recruiter found me as a potential candidate for this job doesn't mean that I have to go along with it. Heck, for that matter, I could look for a job on my own, wherever I want, whenever I want, and still get a significant salary increase, etc. A wise job search should be self-directed and not to fulfill the needs of the recruiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut