Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:58 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,566 times

Advertisements

Controversial Tuition Law Signed | NBC Connecticut

Unreal. If someone is illegal, and the state knows it they should be deported not given rights of a legal citizen. Does the term illegal mean anything?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:09 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,219 times
Does that surprise you????? We have made the decision to leave, if I can find a buyer for my home. I know I will get flack for this, between insane car taxes, new liberal gov't, increasing taxes on everything, etc etc us "middle classers" are getting squeezed to death, the rich don't care cause they are rich so it doesn't hurt them as much, and the poor or illegals get extra fringe benefits. Blast away at me if you so desire, doesn't make me any less disgruntled as I sign over $900 on car taxes for something I already paid taxes for when I originally purchased them.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:57 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
This is pretty unbelievable. What's the point of being a legal citizen now?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:05 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
This has been discussed already...

In any case, I am all for it. While undocumented, these are the exact people who we want on a path to citizenship.... People who have done all the right things-- Graduated high school and done so with sufficient academic achievement to be admitted to a state university.

These children did not come here of their own accord-- They were brought here by their parents illegal. They have no fault for the situation they are in.

This country was built on the backs of immigrants. There is nothing special, superior, unique or privileged about being American. There is, however, something special about being able to attend college. I don't see why we wouldn't give them the same tuition break that we give every other high school graduate in Connecticut...

I know that some think that these "illegals" are taking all our jobs (if you want to pick apples for a living), and some think that it's just plain wrong because they did not immigrate legally (almost impossible to do if you are an agrian worker from Mexico). However, they serve a necessary economic role in the US.... Unless you want to pay $8 a pound for Oranges, that is.

In any case, mazel tov to the Connecticut State government for being humane and decent and on the side of welfare of ALL peoples instead of the close-minded, hard-edged and cut-throat attitude that has (sadly) become embedded in much of our citizenry.

This is the humane, moral and right thing to do.

Congratulations to all those who have the door of college (and a better life) opened to them due to this law.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This is pretty unbelievable. What's the point of being a legal citizen now?
Really? Really?

How about living life without constant fear of deportation?
How about being able to have a social security number, establish legal credit and own a home?
How about having all the opportunities that have led to you being in your 20's and being offered 80K a year in salary?
How about being able to get a speeding ticket without fear that it lead to deportation?
How about being able to easily leave the country and return?
How about not being discriminated against?
... and it goes on...

If you think it's so advantageous to be an illegal alien, why don't you renounce your citizenship and move back hear illegally so you may take advantage?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Really? Really?

How about being able to have a social security number, establish legal credit and own a home?
How about having all the opportunities that have led to you being in your 20's and being offered 80K a year in salary?
How about being able to get a speeding ticket without fear that it lead to deportation?
... and it goes on...

If you think it's so advantageous to be an illegal alien, why don't you renounce your citizenship and move back hear illegally so you may take advantage?
How about ILLEGAL means ILLEGAL. You broke laws to come here. You broke OUR laws. Now we are suppose to cater to these people?

Spare me the sob story about how hard it is to be an illegal citizen. They arent suppose to be here in the first place. If they werent here ILLEGALLY, then they wouldnt have to "worry" about your list.

Go back to your own country and fix the problems there.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
This has been discussed already...

In any case, I am all for it. While undocumented, these are the exact people who we want on a path to citizenship.... People who have done all the right things-- Graduated high school and done so with sufficient academic achievement to be admitted to a state university.

These children did not come here of their own accord-- They were brought here by their parents illegal. They have no fault for the situation they are in.

This country was built on the backs of immigrants. There is nothing special, superior, unique or privileged about being American. There is, however, something special about being able to attend college. I don't see why we wouldn't give them the same tuition break that we give every other high school graduate in Connecticut...

I know that some think that these "illegals" are taking all our jobs (if you want to pick apples for a living), and some think that it's just plain wrong because they did not immigrate legally (almost impossible to do if you are an agrian worker from Mexico). However, they serve a necessary economic role in the US.... Unless you want to pay $8 a pound for Oranges, that is.

In any case, mazel tov to the Connecticut State government for being humane and decent and on the side of welfare of ALL peoples instead of the close-minded, hard-edged and cut-throat attitude that has (sadly) become embedded in much of our citizenry.

This is the humane, moral and right thing to do.

Congratulations to all those who have the door of college (and a better life) opened to them due to this law.
What part of ILLEGAL do you not understand?

And they serve a necessary economic role? Like what, modern day slavery, which is really what it is when you can pay them crap wages to do hard work.

We need to enforce our damn laws and crack down on businesses. But hell, if the friggin government is going to go out of its way to cater to them, what can we do?

If we cracked down on businesses, started enforcing laws, and STOPPED catering to ILLEGALS then theyd have less incentive to stay here in the first place. Yes we are a nation that prospered due to immigrants, but we are also a nation of laws. Its too bad people like you and the governor and the illegals do not give a damn about our laws.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:47 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
This is a very bad law.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
How about ILLEGAL means ILLEGAL. You broke laws to come here. You broke OUR laws. Now we are suppose to cater to these people?
No doubt that coming here was an illegal act. Keep in mind that it immigration is under the auspices of civil law-- not criminal law. People don't go to prison for illegal immigration. This may be of little comfort to you... I also try to keep in mind that almost everyone breaks the law... Traffic law, copyright law, municipal codes, tax law, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Spare me the sob story about how hard it is to be an illegal citizen. They arent suppose to be here in the first place. If they werent here ILLEGALLY, then they wouldnt have to "worry" about your list.

Go back to your own country and fix the problems there.
Sorry, I'm big on sob stories.

WHen I hear a sob story, my inclination is try to improve the situation... Make it better... Not make it worse.

The fact is these people are in an untenable situation, and American's are all to happy to avail themselves of cheap produce, low new construction home prices in places like Phoenix and Texas, and cheap landscaping services when it advantages them. (This somehow, never gets mentioned in the debates). Their lives in Mexico, Haiti, etc. are filled with poverty. They are (for the most part) simply trying to make a better lives for themselves.

But you seem to be a law and order guy. I respect that. The law is important and we should all strive to follow it.

I just wonder, for such a law and order orientation, where is your diatribe against the American citizen employers who illegally enable the undocumented residents by providing them employment? Where's that screaming? Where's the righteous indignation for them? (It seems that in these discussions the disgust for the American enablers only surfaces when reminded...) One might interpret your respect for the civl law as xenophobia if you don't have equal contempt for the illegal employers who enable the activity.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Really? Really?

... and it goes on...

Um. The difference is that I was a legal natural born U.S. citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut