Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 AM

502 posts, read 1,391,525 times

Advertisements

You may want to have someone be on the ready to use a "roof rake" on your roof in the winter after heavy snowfalls. Removing the first few feet of snow from the edges of your roof surface can save your house from extreme water damage due to ice damming. (Ice forming on shingles, expanding the gaps between shingle layers, allowing water to back up under shingles when it melts, and run down the inside of the walls, soaking insulation and flooring).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 02:09 PM

83 posts, read 226,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
If it is a worry for you, while being gone that long even with landscaping kept up and timers for lights it's still pretty easy for someone unscrupulous to know that the house is empty.
Yeah, I know the timers and landscaping/etc isn't going to fool anyone who sees the house on a regular basis. The timers do have a "random" function though, so they turn on and off at random times within 30 mins of the preset time. That should help. I just figure it's pretty much the most we can do. The house is mostly empty anyways, and save the TV there isn't really anything valuable inside. I guess maybe the appliances? I would hope things don't get that far. We were thinking about doing an alarm system, but it is awfully expensive. I think for now we are just going to have the neighbors keep an eye on it and have family/friends drop by as often as they can.

Any other suggestions as far as keeping utilities in check, safety, etc?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:45 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
I agree with others, drain the pipes dry, shut it off from the street and let the house get cold, it won't hurt anything and you'll not have to worry about ice dams. Be sure the fridge is empty and OPEN as well.

Also if you have a sump pump in the basement that can be an issue. Before I type for 20 minutes, I'll let you confirm if you have one or not.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:26 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
When a property is vacant there are other living things that could use it for a home, meaning creatures. So seal up any hole or possible entrance critters could use to come in including fireplace damper.(make sure its shut and tightly closed).

How about smoke and C/O detectors. you dont want your house burning down so make sure they work. And if you're shutting off the electric then make sure you have battery operated smokes. Before you shut off the electric make sure you dont have a sump pump like J.V mentioned.

And yes, dont let people scare you about needing to keep the heat on...as long as you do what J.V said, you'll be fine. Bleed, drain, shut at main. (including garden hoses). If that all scares you then leave the heat on 45. I think it takes more than 3 days of inside the home under 32 for pipes to burst. That means outside needs to be like under 15 degrees for a week. Inside of homes dont drop to 30 as fast as outside does.

And lastly, what about the gasoline? empty the lawnmower and tanks. You dont want to store un-used gasoline.

Good luck and congrats.

edit: If you want to look at your home from overseas you can always buy a camera security system which you can view from a software with computer.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:29 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
And lastly, what about the gasoline? empty the lawnmower and tanks. You dont want to store un-used gasoline.
Good call on the power equipment. Bad gas makes things get ugly. Drain all tanks and run them dry.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 PM

625 posts, read 2,049,615 times
Congrats on med school!

Make sure you tell your insurance company that the house will be vacant. They'll need to change your policy somewhat, most likely. You always want them to know, as homeowners insurance is to cover "owner occupied" dwellings. If you're not there and there is a problem (burst pipes, fire, etc.) and they didn't know that the house was vacant, they may not cover a claim.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 PM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Congratulations on getting into Med School. Have you considered renting the place out for a few months while you and your wife are away and hiring a professional management company to oversee it? It will not be cheap but the home will be watched and will cost you less than if you peft it vacant. Just a thought. Jay

Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 PM

898 posts, read 597,322 times
Try to rent the house out while you are away. Otherwise you'll get back to find that somebody broke in, ripped out the copper piping, including in the walls, and the water meter gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: