Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:05 PM

155 posts, read 193,448 times

Advertisements

You will just fine in downtown New Haven.
It is more active now than it's been in generations.
You are arriving at an interesting time when more activism, and partnerships are happening than ever before downtown.

Crime-wise, just be street smart like anywhere don't be clueless wearing an ipod around town so you are blocking out those around you. There is so much beauty in New Haven.

It is unfortunate, that too many kids experience gun violence in neighborhoods such as Newhallville, Dixwell, the Hill, and parts of Fair Haven. Overall, New Haven has a reputation that proceeds it. There is a lot of unnecessary fear in people. It is an urban area and has urban issues like anywhere else. You can be in any US city and have the same observations. One difference here is that every violent and gun incident gets front page and top news coverage. So everyone becomes inundated with it more so than in other cities.

Also, separate thought re Temple Medical Center-

Don't let anyone fool you about Yale. Many people think New Haven is Yale, and they are wrong. Our beautiful central New Haven Green park, is just that a New Haven park, well technically not- but trust me it is not Yale's. Yet, I often overheard someone unknowlingly referring to it as a Yale "quad." It is very important to remember that New Haven's identity is much more than Yale. I always get upset when their is an overdosing of the Yale name.

The Temple Medical Center is not a Yale Building. The Connecticut Tennis Center where next month's New Haven Open USTA Tournament takes place, is NOT "at Yale." We can also all laugh at all the New Haven hotels that feel the need to be called "...at Yale." Finally, I presume all the local signs for discounts for Yale students, etc will be broader once Gateway College opens, as it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:09 PM

21,473 posts, read 27,712,350 times
I think the South Bronx and East Brooklyn are much worse than the bad parts of New Haven, but it doesn't get the same publicity because NYC is such a huge city and so diverse economically (with a lot of very wealthy people in Manhattan) that the overall statistics aren't as telling.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 PM

21,473 posts, read 27,712,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcus View Post
The Temple Medical Center is not a Yale Building.
It is.

Yale-New Haven Hospital | Temple Medical Center

While I don't want to downplay the identity of New Haven without Yale, fact of the matter is it brings A LOT of water to the town and is a big reason that downtown is doing so well lately. Would an Apple Store or Ikea have been built if it weren't for Yale, or all the surge of upscale restaurants opening? Probably not at such a level as it is. Yale is also involved in a lot of improvement plans, owns most of the museums in the city, much of the prime real estate downtown and is responsible for much of the town's unique architecture.

While New Haven is not Yale, Yale has made New Haven. That cannot be denied.

That said, everyone should absolutely welcome other businesses and institutions, such as Gateway. Yale makes for a solid foundation, but when other good things come to town and diversify what it offers - that's when it becomes a world class city.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:15 PM

155 posts, read 193,448 times
Default Temple Medical Center

I don't want to give Yale an inch more claim on anything than it already has. While I haven't been in there for a few years, I'm pretty sure it is correct to say that Temple Medical Center is still an independent medical facility which I'm sure has a portion of Yale-related Yale Hospital and Health System operations that have moved in. But, I say that is the same as the Yale Hospital and Health services affiliation with Greenwich Hospital and Bridgeport Hospital and their services at 1 Long Wharf. It doesn't mean that any of the above are Yale buildings.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,622,995 times
The building you're in, is in a lovely area of New Haven. It's near Audobon and the spot where Church changes its name to Whitney. Some of the prettiest architecture is right behind your building, including St. Mary's Church, I believe just 2 or 3 blocks away. There's also the courthouse across the street, so as a law student, that would probably be of great interest to you.

Pizza joints are close, as is Breugger's Bagels (unless they've closed since the last time I was there). Broadway is just a few blocks away, where you can get burgers and croissants and books and suits and such.

Everything you need is in walking distance, except for the supermarket.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 PM

23 posts, read 44,305 times
AnonChick,

Recently, Elm market was open in New Haven. Have you heard anything good or bad about it? I know it cost $200 to join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut