Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:33 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Hi everybody. Just some curiosity questions.

I was born in New Haven, but raised and still live in the Va burbs of Washington DC.

I spent many summers in New Haven and have very, very fond memories of my grandparents house. It was on West Park Avenue across from Edgewood Park. My grandfather was a successful attorney and paid $25K for the house in 1926...which was a LOT of money in those days. The Pepe pizza family lived nearby and I remember playing with their grandkids. They sold the house in 1966 or 67 and moved to a retirement place in Hamden.

Is it still a fashionable neighborhood? Do the same houses still stand?

My aunt owns a gorgeous house right smack on the Sound in East Haven...(Morgan ave) they used to refer to it as the "South End". The house is built on a huge rock with the Sound for a "back yard". She still lives there part of the year. I learned to water ski there!

Does waterfront property in East Haven cost megabucks like it does most places? My grandfather bought the place for a summer home during the Depression for $10K!

Thanks!

I'm going to have to take a ride up one day and reminisce...and visit the relatives in St Bernard's and St Lawrence.
You won't find prices like your grandfather paid, but skytrekker is correct in that this area is more affordable than other coastal areas. Don't get us wrong, you will still pay a lot, but there are locations along the coast that are a lot more expensive. Generally as you go east from New York, the prices drop. There are a few higher and lower priced areas along the way but that is generally how it works.

To answer your question about New Haven, the Edgewood Park area is still very nice and considered one of the better neighborhoods in the city. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 02:53 PM

131 posts, read 447,020 times
Default Best of Luck

Hi, I too grew up in NH, and visit yearly still. If you do take the job you may enjoy living in what we called the "College Park" area going north from Elm St. on Orange St. It's still beautiful though rents may get a bit pricey. Walking distance into work and many cultural spots. A nice park at "Brewster Estate" I believe really called Egerton Park, there was Shakespere in the park a few years back. I must say I miss the city, I believe that a dedicated few really try to keep it special. Sadly far too many have little if any appreciation for those efforts. I also don't know how this (Host or Amnesty I can't recall the terminology) is working out. It has to do with immigration issues and is no doubt a dividing issue. If you are looking to buy check it out taxes in NH are high already. I must say some part of me is happy that NH is involved in this issue. It is truly a city of immigrants and a facinating place. I used to work on the R.R. there and drove a cab when times were lean and can say also it can be a very dangerous place so please be aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut