U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-25-2011, 01:41 PM

992 posts, read 1,048,909 times
I have electric heat in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment. The highest cost for electric last winter was $220-ish/month. We keep the heat at 68 as well.

Rich, we also have washer and dryer in our apartment. Unless you have a huge 1 bedroom I would expect that your electric bill will stay below $200 in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-25-2011, 02:02 PM

718 posts, read 915,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I have electric heat in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment. The highest cost for electric last winter was $220-ish/month. We keep the heat at 68 as well.

Rich, we also have washer and dryer in our apartment. Unless you have a huge 1 bedroom I would expect that your electric bill will stay below $200 in winter.
Best answer thanks.

Unread 07-25-2011, 02:14 PM

9,405 posts, read 5,823,641 times
Quote:
Unless you have a huge 1 bedroom I would expect that your electric bill will stay below $200 in winter.
If the apartment is in a very old complex or house with dated windows and insulation, and the heating system is old - it could easily be over $200. A lot of factors come into play.

Unread 07-25-2011, 03:00 PM

274 posts, read 289,707 times
Holy moly! Thank god heat and hot water are included in my apartment. My most expensive bill is electricity in the summer, which maxes out around $40.

Unread 07-25-2011, 04:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 9,807,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Even the heat's electric. How much would I pay in the winter with the heat set at 68? $300?
Had a 1100 sq ft, 3 level, 2 BR condo. 8 rooms including basement. Had electric heat. I used the heat in just 3 of the rooms....and at night only...daytime would be on 55, night at 65. Bathroom heat would only be turned "on" if we were in there. I was very conservative making sure it was off and not just at 65. Winter electric bill was $280-320 a month.

Once by accident I left the basement heat on at minimum 55 and it constantly went on. Bill was $420. Thats how I found out it was the basement.

BTW - Is your stove electric? Doing any cooking? How about Ts computers? Hi-Hats. All add up.

Unread 07-26-2011, 08:40 AM

992 posts, read 1,048,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Had a 1100 sq ft, 3 level, 2 BR condo. 8 rooms including basement. Had electric heat. I used the heat in just 3 of the rooms....and at night only...daytime would be on 55, night at 65. Bathroom heat would only be turned "on" if we were in there. I was very conservative making sure it was off and not just at 65. Winter electric bill was $280-320 a month.

Once by accident I left the basement heat on at minimum 55 and it constantly went on. Bill was $420. Thats how I found out it was the basement.

BTW - Is your stove electric? Doing any cooking? How about Ts computers? Hi-Hats. All add up.
I have heard to only turn the heat down 5 in the winter when you're not home because the cost to ramp up the electric heat 10 or more when you get home is more costly than leaving the house a little warmer and slightly upping the temp when you get back. Is this fact or fiction?

Also, to Cambium's point, my $220 estimate didn't include the stove (my stove runs on gas) but an electric stove would play a large role in upping your bill if you cook a lot.

Unread 07-29-2011, 06:37 AM

583 posts, read 468,633 times
Not sure would anybody believe me but my ex bf payed 25 dollar on electric, sometimes higher but no more than 50 dollar... all utility are included with the rent, only 700 a month for a one bedroom. Very nice apartment in Norwich.

I think some people dont even know that we can have a good deal in this state

Unread 07-30-2011, 05:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 9,807,247 times
Quote:
I have heard to only turn the heat down 5 in the winter when you're not home because the cost to ramp up the electric heat 10 or more when you get home is more costly than leaving the house a little warmer and slightly upping the temp when you get back. Is this fact or fiction?

Also, to Cambium's point, my $220 estimate didn't include the stove (my stove runs on gas) but an electric stove would play a large role in upping your bill if you cook a lot.
No quick answer without getting scientific but I think the heat going on and off 10 times while at work to obtain a certain temp wastes more then the heat stay on for 30 minutes straight to get back to the temp you want.
plus homes retain heat. The trick is to go below what it typically can hold the temp at. My house holds the temp pretty good at 55 so I lower it to 50.

Another trick is not to want it to be 80 in there. Then your theory is correct becuase it would have to stay on constantly to achieve the 80 degree temp.

Unread 07-31-2011, 03:24 PM

171 posts, read 362,486 times
My 1br apartment (700~ sq. feet, townhouse style) is all electric (plus washer/dryer and stove), drafty old windows, and we kept the very inefficient central blown-air heat around 62-63 and supplemented the living room heat with an electric space heater...averaged $300/month from Dec - March.

Electric heat sucks. Congrats to everyone who has the "deal" of having heat/hot water included with the rent, even though this is not the OP's situation

Unread 07-31-2011, 05:56 PM

1,734 posts, read 3,366,181 times
I have a large 1 bedroom condo listing, 950 square feet, single story in Danbury for sale. It is on the 1st floor, with a 2 story unit above him. He pays about $180 a month in total for electric, which includes heat, applicances and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut