Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 05:42 PM

12 posts, read 54,987 times

Advertisements

OK, I am looking to relocate to CT probably next June. My boyfriend is heading up there early with a job in East Hartford. I work in Manhattan, and currently live in Queens with my 6 year old.

We're both figuring on an hour or so commute to work for each of us so we're thinking of Trumbull. There's before and after school care and we'd be renting so we're thinking Avalon Gates.

I'm just looking for a little insight on the area. Is there anyone who lives in Trumbull that can give me some pros and cons on the town? Is there anyplace in the vicinity that might be better or worse to look? I've read some negative reviews on the apartment complex but there's really no other complex to rent in Trumbull with the amenities.

I've been doing all my research online but we're planning a weekend up there in August to take a look around.

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. I know I'm a little all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:48 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Think this through carefully. Things on a map are not always as they are in real life. Your boyfriend can probably make it to East Hartford in about an hour if there is no traffic, accidents, bad weather, etc. On his part it's a do-able commute.

Your commute to NYC will be tough. You'd have to drive to Bridgeport to take the train, then get from the train to your office. Just getting to the train/parking, etc. will take a good 15-20 minutes minimum, the train is about and hour and 15/20 minutes, then from train station to your office is whatever. So you should figure on a hour and 45 minutes absolute minimum or longer each way for your commute.

Many people do this commute, but I suspect most of them aren't the moms. Very tough decision to make with a small child to consider.

Good luck

Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I agree that this will be a tough situation. Your boyfriend is facing a long drive each day but note that there are carpools from Trumbull to Pratt & Whitney in East hartford. I had a friend who took it for a couple of years and he said it was not bad. Eventually though he moved closer to his job.

I know people that also commuted from Trumbull to Manhattan and they found it long but not entirely bad. A lot will depend where you work. If it is near Grand Central it should not be a problem. If it is far from GC then you will have a very long day.

Trumbull is a very nice town but it is mostly single family homes. That complex is right on the Bridgeport border and is not too far from a somewhat tropublesome public housing project. That is not to say the area is dangerous, but you never know.

I would recommend considering living in Fairfield. There are a number of condos in town so you may be able to find a rental there. You would be a little closer to New York and there is a train station right in town so the ride to it would not be far.

Finally I would recommend you consider relocating to the Hartford area. It is very nice and would make your quality of life a lot easier. Jay

Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Trumbull is a fine town. Suburban in character with not a whole lot to do, but Fairfield is near - which has plenty of shops and restaurants.

I would also recommend looking at Fairfield, closer to the train station. You don't want a 15 minute drive to a train station and then have to find parking. The commute is long enough as it is. The area around the train station is really nice and walkable, if you can find a place there.

Other "inbetween" towns to consider are Stratford and Milford. There are a lot of nice apartments in Milford within walking distance to the train station. It's a safe area and a very nice walkable town center. Spinnaker runs many: Spinnaker Apartments. You're only adding minutes to your commute on the train compared to Fairfield, so it's all relative to how close you live to the train stations.

Did I mention how important being in walking distance to a station is? Parking is not easy at train stations.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:54 PM

12 posts, read 54,987 times
Thank you all so much. I've been concerned about the travel time into Manhattan. I am only 2 blocks from Grand Central in the city which makes metro north a good choice.

It is a hard decision at the moment. Truthfully I'm waiting for an opening within my company up closer to the Hartford area but as of right now, this is the plan. I haven't checked too much into Fairfield yet but will, thank you! I looked at Milford and Stratford but both are further out than Trumbull and I didn't see any before and after school care that would work for me. I work from 9 - 5 with very little wiggle room and my commute into the city right now is about an hour each way from Queens.

Thank you all for the suggestions, I will definitely look into Fairfield and Milford, and check out the apartment complexes. Jay, thanks for the info on the carpool. I will look into it.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNIN View Post
I looked at Milford and Stratford but both are further out than Trumbull and I didn't see any before and after school care that would work for me.
If you're near the train station, they will be a quicker commute than Trumbull. Trust me.

There are plenty of school care options. Milford is a decent sized small city and has most services you'll need. Stratford is not far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut