Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:08 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
My points of reference were all relative to specific circumstances. Norwalk, CT only permits restaurants to serve food outside within a certain date range. Sherwood Island doesn't allow frisbee, footballs or rafts in the ocean. There are no 24 hour grocery stores (e.g. Walmart, Meijer) in Norwalk.
And you're making a argument against ALL of CT based on your extremely limited experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 03:14 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
The winter is the same as Minnesota ? Maine??? Have you ever been to MN/ interior Maine in winter ? Nothing like CT. In fact south central and south east CT. are different in winter than northern CT. CT winters are mild compared to other northern states. Most of CT has barely a 10 -12 week winter season.

You can't take tubes, rafts to the beach in most places in CA or in most other states It's for safety. Keeps the non swimmers, children and assorted idiots from drifting out to sea or getting caught in rip currents in non-sea worthy pieces of plastic or over estimating their abilities to stay afloat in lakes.

You can play volleyball at Hammonasssett/ Rocky Neck/Sherwood Island state parks, etc. Ocean Beach Park in New London has water slides, arcades and tons of other stuff. Please do try tubing on the Farmington River. It's regulated but great fun in appropriate vessels.

No where are all stores open 24/7 anywhere in this country other than supermarkets. And there are plenty of supermarkets in CT that are open around the clock or close to it. By the way, opening 24/7 requires more, staff, more overhead, etc. Are you willing to have those costs passed on to you to have the opportunity to buy a shirt at 1 AM on Wednesday night ? I've traveled extensively- everywhere retail stores close at 9-10 PM max ( that includes the major stores in NYC) , except for some supermarkets.

Yes, our highways are congested- so are most other metro areas.

One of the beauties of living in CT is that it is only a quick ride to NYC or to Boston/ RI, etc. Don't forget, this is tiny state in land area. A two hour ride in Los Angeles county and you can still be in Los Angeles county. Same for Houston or other places that sprawl. In CT. you can be in a variety of other states in two hours.

Why do I suspect your only experience with CT has been lower Fairfield county. Have you ever done theater, shopping ,museums, dining, bar hopping in New Haven, West Hartford, Hartford ?

Although I agree with you --- different strokes for different folks. If you don't like it here, please do go somewhere else. But don't complain about things when you haven't tried very hard to find them here or when you have expectations that don't exist anywhere else either.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Last post on this thread - it's spiralling out of control.

The OP questioned why someone from GA wouldn't like CT. I just gave my reasons as an outsider. In no ways, is it inferring anyone is less of a person for living here.

Someone from GA would think the weather in Maine, Minnesota or CT is the same. Only someone living here would appreciate that Buffalo's weather is different than Wiltons.

Someone who is used to have 24 hr shopping options would find it inconvenient to not have that availability. That option is avialable all over Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Florida, Georgia.

Someone who lived in San Diego would note that restaurants can have sidewalk sitting year round. Norwalk, CT has regulations in place that only permit outdoor sitting on Washington St between set dates (e.g. Memorial Day to October). Even if there was a sunny day in March - you couldn't sit outside.

My point is that you won't convince me that CT is the best state and I won't convince you otherwise. We'll agree to disagree. A confident person would say "different folks for different folks". Choose whatever place makes you happy. An insecure person would lash out at all the reasons the other person is wrong.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
I disagree. My point is that people in CT shouldn't take it personally when people don't like their state. You may not want to live in GA. Or Michigan. Those people don't want to live here either.

It's like dating. A girl may tell you that you're not her type. That doesn't mean your worthless - it just means different people like you. Same goes for states. Some people love CT. More power to them. Others love GA. Others love Ohio. They can all be right.

My points of reference were all relative to specific circumstances. Norwalk, CT only permits restaurants to serve food outside within a certain date range. Sherwood Island doesn't allow frisbee, footballs or rafts in the ocean. There are no 24 hour grocery stores (e.g. Walmart, Meijer) in Norwalk.

Your points aren't rebuttals but are insecure attacks on my views. Ignorance is no excuse.
You keep referring to CT, the people in CT, the state as a whole, and now you claim you only refer to Norwalk, exclusively? That's like complaining that California sucks because the hilly streets are too steep for anyone sane to walk more than 4 blocks without getting winded...

when really, what you mean, is that you've only been to San Francisco, once in your life, for a week's vacation, and have judged the entire state on the inconvenience of one city - and even that inconvenience is due to your own lack of fitness.

How about we say Hawaii sucks because the volcano keeps spitting lava all over the place, based on the fact that we once flew over the volcano on our way to Japan, and have determined the entire state's worth based solely on that flyover.

Or hm..what state are you in, Texas? How about those damned ugly hideous drilling oil thingies ruining the view of everything and making it impossible to drive in a straight line? Or hey we can go nuts on Arkansas with their filthy horses slowing down traffic..

And that woman who's not your type? She really IS your type. But because her left pinky has a bandaid on it, you've chosen only to see that flaw, and haven't noticed how utterly perfect she is. Your loss really. She'll find someone better in no time.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:39 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So we have this consultant from Atlanta who comes up here quite often and stays in the Marriott hotel at Rocky Hill. This guy is probably in his mid to late 20's. When asked if he would ever consider moving to CT, he flatly replied, "no!" His reasons?
  • Winter is a pain to deal with
  • It's too expensive
He has lived in the Atlanta area since he was 4 years old. I find it funny, because a couple months ago I made a thread entitled "Glad to be back from Atlanta!" My main reasons were the out-of-control, ugly cookie cutout sprawl and severe traffic congestion.

Are people biased in preferring the place where they are already familiar with?
Yup, People from Atlanta think less than 75 out is cold, and they make terrible pay, so they think anything north of VA is overpriced.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM

Adding: there's nothing wrong with not liking Connecticut. If it weren't for the weather, I'd love to stay here. But because of the weather, I hate living here. It's not for me. And I was born and raised here, and spent almost all my life in New England, mostly in Connecticut, and mostly in New Haven county.

But at least I'm not liking it for reasons that make sense. It isn't because the weather is like Minnesota. It's because the weather is like Connecticut. Your reasons for not liking CT, are excuses, and not reasons. There are many totally valid reasons to dislike Connecticut. Other than the traffic, which exists at all major city hubs, nationwide, you haven't listed a single valid reason, because your reasons are based on things that just simply are not true.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:49 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Someone from GA would think the weather in Maine, Minnesota or CT is the same. Only someone living here would appreciate that Buffalo's weather is different than Wiltons.
Absolutely NOT. Southeast CT has a mid-atlantic climate with 25 inches of snow for the year. That's like central VA for crying out loud. Daily high temps in January are in the mid 30's, not 10.

Interior Maine gets over a 100 inches of snow per year. I'm pretty sure someone from GA would be able to tell the difference.

Quote:
Even if there was a sunny day in March - you couldn't sit outside.
Wait, what? March is actually pretty Sunny, and are you telling me you can't sit out side in 60-70 degree weather and enjoy it? In fact CT has as many sunny days per year as Miami.

You might want to take a look at weather history for Norwalk. There were 7 days over 60* and 11 days over 50* in 2010.

History : Weather Underground

Your perception is not lining up with the facts. Also, I don't think anyone is saying CT is "best" what we are having a problem with is your (mis)perception and of the place.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 PM

He's claiming that there's an ordinance in Norwalk whereby restaurants are prohibited from offering al fresco seating on a particular street, except during specific months. March is not one of those months.

That is a zoning law, it's not a violation of anyone's rights. If you wanted to, you could still sit down outside the restaurant in March. But the restaurant is not allowed to provide your seating.

It's also a really stupid excuse for not liking Connecticut.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
Quote:
So the rest of CT is perceived as even more boring than a spot in suburban Atlanta. Even when my parents/friends come to visit CT - I spend a day going to the beaches - but quickly realize there's nothing else to do that an outsider couldn't go where he's from - beauty. In short - we all like to think we turned out the best way possible
What? Are you actually freakin kidding me... whenever I hear people say it's boring around here I notice they're the ones that got nothing to do, nothing productive with their lives... For the love of god I even hear some people from Florida that find Florida to be boring to them and I think they're the ones that cause it, and believe me I really think some just being stubborn and choose to be bored. So if you got nothing to do around here go look around more, and ask.

Connecticut got enough things to do, what more can I ask.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:

My point is that you won't convince me that CT is the best state and I won't convince you otherwise. We'll agree to disagree. A confident person would say "different folks for different folks". Choose whatever place makes you happy. An insecure person would lash out at all the reasons the other person is wrong.
No one is trying to say CT is the best state. If it weren't for my work and family here, there are many other states I would love to try and live in. I personally don't believe there is a "best state", they each have their plusses and minuses. If I had a ton of money I'd gladly have homes in CA, CO, UT, ME, NH, FL, SC, USVI and maybe a penthouse in NYC. But alas.

What we are trying to point out is your unfair (and fairly petty) generalizations of the entire state based on your limited experience in/around Norwalk. It doesn't benefit outsiders looking to this forum for research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut