Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 PM

231 posts, read 595,259 times

Advertisements

There cannot possibly be over 3 people in the U.S. who understand Economics. Increasing taxes always results in LESS Government revenue--its been tried before many times. Additionally, if the Govt. confiscated ALL the yearly earnings of those making $250,000 and over, it wouldn't nearly equal the deficit for one Year. The problem is overspending-this cannot possibly be corrected by even more spending. It is impossible to borrow yourself into solvency or to spend yourself into prosperity--I tried that in my youth and it didn't work. U.S. citiznes are going to learn a hard lesson about this--ti's already in the cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times
Fear not, this will bring things into perspective...

YouTube - Brother, Can You Spare A Trillion?: Government Gone Wild!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I mostly agree with this but want to note that if you interpret the chart correctly, it's only the early Reagan years that are higher in tax than the 1990s. Using 1981-83 as a baseline is a bad idea as the economy was almost as bad as it is now and actually supports the argument that lowering tax rates from 50-28% is "economic juice".

Now that said, I think 50% is too high, but 39.6% (what it would go to from 35% if tax cuts expire for those over 250K or 500K or $1M or whatever) isn't. I do find it astonishing that top tax rates were 90% in the 1950s, I can't imagine THAT being an incentive to make any money (interesting side note, it was JFK of all people who agreed with that and lowered it to 70%.....but personally I think once you're taking half or more of anyone's income no matter how rich it is counterproductive....40% should be the max).
ITA. I would just like to give some historical perspective on the 90+% tax rate in the 50's.

We just came out of WWII where we stopped evil from ruling the world. We spent like CRAZY to do that, and in fact our debt was over 100% of GDP. However, it was a short term spike in debt, not a systemic problem like you see today.

It's like having a fiscally responsible household and you have an emergency and take on some debt. Well, after the emergency has passed you use your fiscally conservative policies and allocate all your funds to pay down that debt.

Today, we are paying for a bunch of fluff and bloat, not an emergency to save the world from tyranny. Big...HUGE difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I didn't click on the link but if it's the sight putting $100 bills into specifics, it's a great link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I'm afraid raising taxes on the rich wont do much but put a dent in our problem. And the so-called debt crisis we just experienced is just a taste of the brawls DC will be fighting over the next 10-20 years. It's going to get ugly.

[/font][/color]
Absolutely see my Greece reference and reply below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
We shouldn't get anything back from Washington anyway. We need to rid the country of the concept of giving the feds money & then begging for it back.
Agreed, and that was my point about the system being redistributive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalako View Post
There cannot possibly be over 3 people in the U.S. who understand Economics. Increasing taxes always results in LESS Government revenue--its been tried before many times. Additionally, if the Govt. confiscated ALL the yearly earnings of those making $250,000 and over, it wouldn't nearly equal the deficit for one Year. The problem is overspending-this cannot possibly be corrected by even more spending. It is impossible to borrow yourself into solvency or to spend yourself into prosperity--I tried that in my youth and it didn't work. U.S. citiznes are going to learn a hard lesson about this--ti's already in the cards.
Bingo bingo bingo! That's why I put the figures in my original post that I did. I did the math in the past and if we liquidated every millionaire over 10 million and billionaire and bankrupted them it would equal a net worth of about 7 trillion dollars. HALF our national debt. It's THAT bad.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
Washington CD is part of the south anyways... they must hate the yankees LOL
Nah, it's as "Yankee" as NY or Philly....the south begins just before Richmond nowadays....and DC was hardly ever "dixie country" anyways (contrary to popular belief, nearby Baltimore has been "yankee country" since maybe 2 decades after the Civil War when the same "white ethnics" who make up most of the population of the Boston-Philly region immigrated there as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalako View Post
Increasing taxes always results in LESS Government revenue--its been tried before many times.
Not quite true, the trick is to find the tax rate that optimizes revenue. I'm sure if the top tax rate were 5% even you would disagree with your statement above, at that low a rate no amount of so-called "trickle down" would make up for it. In my view that optimization is a top rate of 40%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: