Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Great. At least he wasn't arrested but it still stinks to hear cops say we shouldn't resist because it could turn things violent. Robbing a person is violent itself, insinuating that the victim could be at fault for the degree of violence is ridiculous, as is worrying about the perpetrator's safety. The reporter should have asked the police spokesman if that applies to police as well, or are they somehow elevated to a status worthy of self preservation denied us mere mortals.

At any rate we seem to be moving in the right direction, some day getting hurt by your victim might be considered simply an occupational hazard of being a violent criminal.
I was thinking the same thing about those comments. Oh okay, so this guy who stepped aside to let them by, just starts getting punched out of the blue, and he's supposed to take his gun, toss it in the gutter and just take the assault. WTF? The assault was ALREADY taking place!

Perhaps they feel as if they are the only one's allowed to defend themselves with force. The rest of us are just supposed to drop our pants and take it.

What's worse is he uses for example the guy who was going to get stabbed in Wooster square, but pulled out a gun and shot the perp as how NOT to act. LOL You can't make it up. Okay, so that guy should have just ran into the knife and not used his gun. Holy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
The safest place in New Haven is Southbound on 95 at about 80mph.
HAAAAAAAhahahah, that's funny right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
There should be more of this kind of thing going on. Maybe if a few punks get dropped in their tracks, others will think twice.
Bingo. They didn't call the Colt a peacemaker for no reason. When people are armed, everyone is more safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inetlom View Post
Exactly - there really is nothing there, and it's more than a few blocks from the Green and what most people would consider 'downtown'.
Wait, what?

If you walk two blocks you will be STANDING on the green. Is the "downtown safe zone" that small?

I wouldn't call this a deserted back lot. It's one block from city hall, two blocks to the library, and a block from the buildings on Church! It's a few hundred feet from Wooster square for crying out loud.

wall street new haven ct - Google Maps

Hell in Hartford you can walk a half mile outside of the downtown without issue, but two blocks away in New Haven and it's not safe? Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I was thinking the same thing about those comments. Oh okay, so this guy who stepped aside to let them by, just starts getting punched out of the blue, and he's supposed to take his gun, toss it in the gutter and just take the assault. WTF? The assault was ALREADY taking place!

Perhaps they feel as if they are the only one's allowed to defend themselves with force. The rest of us are just supposed to drop our pants and take it.

What's worse is he uses for example the guy who was going to get stabbed in Wooster square, but pulled out a gun and shot the perp as how NOT to act. LOL You can't make it up. Okay, so that guy should have just ran into the knife and not used his gun. Holy...

HAAAAAAAhahahah, that's funny right there.

Bingo. They didn't call the Colt a peacemaker for no reason. When people are armed, everyone is more safe.

Wait, what?

If you walk two blocks you will be STANDING on the green. Is the "downtown safe zone" that small?

I wouldn't call this a deserted back lot. It's one block from city hall, two blocks to the library, and a block from the buildings on Church! It's a few hundred feet from Wooster square for crying out loud.

Hell in Hartford you can walk a half mile outside of the downtown without issue, but two blocks away in New Haven and it's not safe? Yikes!
I personally would walk that block, but not necessarily alone late at night. It's not a rough area by any means, there's just no foot traffic and little car traffic late at night. No businesses, etc. It's not like there's hoodlums hanging around all the time, that guy just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Look at it on Street View. There's nothing there for a few blocks on State Street. Above Kumho and below 91 there's not much. Above 91 and it's much more vibrant.

state street new haven, ct - Google Maps

I don't think downtown New Haven is any different from downtown Hartford as far as safety.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:10 PM

220 posts, read 525,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Wait, what?

Perhaps you are not familiar with this particular part of New Haven - there is no pedestrian traffic during most of the day on that section of State, and it is very quiet. Once you cross over Orange on Wall, moving toward State, there really is nothing there but a few buildings, the parking lot, and the railroad tracks. I wouldn't choose to walk there alone at 9:45 pm. During the day? Maybe, but I'd still be nervous.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Perhaps you are not familiar with this particular part of New Haven - there is no pedestrian traffic during most of the day on that section of State, and it is very quiet. Once you cross over Orange on Wall, moving toward State, there really is nothing there but a few buildings, the parking lot, and the railroad tracks. I wouldn't choose to walk there alone at 9:45 pm. During the day? Maybe, but I'd still be nervous.
Yea I'm familiar with it, I guess I just didn't know what walking down the street near downtown, even if there are not a lot of businesses etc on that few block section would mean it's dangerous. It's not in the hood or anything.

There have been attacks in Bushnell park for crying out loud, so I don't think this is specifically a New Haven thing...I just didn't realize you could be a couple block off Church and have it be considered "nervous area".

Old 08-03-2011, 12:50 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:

I'm not sure I understand WHY a person should not be able to walk down any street they choose whenever they choose. I do understand that some areas are more dangerous than others but that in no way lessens the crime or switches responsibility for it to the victim. Its always bothered me to hear people say of a mugging or other violent attack victim "what were they doing there?" Who cares what they were doing there as long as they were free to go there.
There are places I choose not to walk most of the time, but I go where I want when I want. I dont look for trouble but if I need to go into the heart of South Norwalk to pick up some grape juice so my dad can make wine I go & if I need to walk a block to get there I do.
Its a very sad thing to hear people accept that there are places in their cities they are afraid to go. The gentleman in this story showed us how a person can with reasonable saftey go where they choose. You can listen to the police & choose to be a victim, or you can act responsibly & refuse to be one. I choose the later myself.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,587 times
Big deal. Obviously he was looking for some glory, and he got it. He's lucky they didn't have a gun. He was asking for trouble, and now that the toxic media got their story, and everyones pumped up, someone will pay a larger price in the future. I walk the city streets all the time, and there's only one group I'll cross the street for -teenagers.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 PM

462 posts, read 737,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
Big deal. Obviously he was looking for some glory, and he got it. He's lucky they didn't have a gun. He was asking for trouble, and now that the toxic media got their story, and everyones pumped up, someone will pay a larger price in the future. I walk the city streets all the time, and there's only one group I'll cross the street for -teenagers.
Considering he was well versed in handguns, I highly doubt those thugs, holding their guns sideways, would have stood much of a chance.

BTW, when nobody is around like that, you can cross as many streets as you want, you're still getting attacked.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM

220 posts, read 525,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I'm not sure I understand WHY a person should not be able to walk down any street they choose whenever they choose. I do understand that some areas are more dangerous than others but that in no way lessens the crime or switches responsibility for it to the victim. Its always bothered me to hear people say of a mugging or other violent attack victim "what were they doing there?" Who cares what they were doing there as long as they were free to go there.
There are places I choose not to walk most of the time, but I go where I want when I want. I dont look for trouble but if I need to go into the heart of South Norwalk to pick up some grape juice so my dad can make wine I go & if I need to walk a block to get there I do.
Its a very sad thing to hear people accept that there are places in their cities they are afraid to go. The gentleman in this story showed us how a person can with reasonable saftey go where they choose. You can listen to the police & choose to be a victim, or you can act responsibly & refuse to be one. I choose the later myself.
I think there's a difference between being afraid to go somewhere and being smart about what you realistically can and cannot do to remain safe. If this guy had walked into the middle of Newhallville at 9:45 pm, even carrying a gun, people would be shouting about how much of an idiot he was and how he should have known better.

I wouldn't walk alone at night in the small town where I grew up, which is MUCH safer than New Haven. There have been two sexual assaults in the evenings there in the last week or so in very safe neighborhoods. When I am walking around alone as a single woman, both in New Haven and elsewhere, I don't take unnecessary risks.

No one is saying this person can't walk around on their own on any street that they choose at any time of day. My version of 'acting responsibly' doesn't include walking alone on that part of State Street in New Haven at that time of night. Maybe this guy's version did - good for him that he was well-prepared - but just imagining that you can freely go anywhere you want at any time without consequence does not strike me as terribly responsible or realistic. In an ideal world, sure, that would be great. In the real world, it doesn't work that way.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
Typical & exactly why we have the troubles we do. Why is a citizen asking for trouble or looking for glory when they dont run like scared children? Who'd pumped up? Do you really think this will cause anyone to do anything they werent doing before? Those of us who care to be able to protect ourselves still will & those who think being able to cross the street is sufficient will still act the same way.
The truth is THEY are lucky they didn't have a gun. This guy was well within his rights & has gone thru the hurdles CT places in the path of excercising certain rights. The thugs on the other hand would just have been that much more illegal had they had guns & the punishment for their crimes that much more severe. What we should be doing is drilling the very real dangers of acting like they did into the heads of young misguided people. Not telling law abiding citizens to run & hide.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I think there's a difference between being afraid to go somewhere and being smart about what you realistically can and cannot do to remain safe. If this guy had walked into the middle of Newhallville at 9:45 pm, even carrying a gun, people would be shouting about how much of an idiot he was and how he should have known better.
I dont know where Newhallville is or if its smart to walk there. I'm not saying that its not smart to avoid some places if you can. I'm saying that if you choose to do so nobody should fault you for it. I imagine people live in this Newhalville, shouldn't they be able to walk around?
This guy decided for whatever reason he was going to walk the way he walked & thats it, its not for me to decide why he did or if its smart.

Quote:
I wouldn't walk alone at night in the small town where I grew up, which is MUCH safer than New Haven. There have been two sexual assaults in the evenings there in the last week or so in very safe neighborhoods. When I am walking around alone as a single woman, both in New Haven and elsewhere, I don't take unnecessary risks.
This guy wasn't a woman. I'd hazard an opinion that a place with 2 sexual assaults in a week is NOT a safe place. See, there really is no safe place. WE make places safe by what we allow & how we deal with things.
I dont know if you have a pistol permit or not, but IMO if you dont then you take unnecessary risks all the time.

Quote:
No one is saying this person can't walk around on their own on any street that they choose at any time of day. My version of 'acting responsibly' doesn't include walking alone on that part of State Street in New Haven at that time of night. Maybe this guy's version did - good for him that he was well-prepared - but just imagining that you can freely go anywhere you want at any time without consequence does not strike me as terribly responsible or realistic. In an ideal world, sure, that would be great. In the real world, it doesn't work that way.

I think we are in agreement here mostly. I didn't say it was responsible to walk in bad places just to do it. I said I think its wrong to fault someone who did walk in a bad place & get victimized. Its not for us to decide who goes where, the law is the law & a crime is just as bad in the middle of the projects as it is in Greenwich. Thats all. Who can say what might cause you or I or anybody to end up in a crappy neighborhood. I'd sure be upset if my wife was raped because she got a flat tire in the wrong place and people said it was her fault for being there.

The bottom line is that ultimately we are each responsible for ourselves & families, and despite all the rhetoric to the contrary, a personal handgun gives us a huge advantage. All the more so because most people cant be bothered so we are usually assumed to be helpless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut