Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:22 PM

9 posts, read 16,910 times

Advertisements

You're correct in that you have to look at cost per x BTU. Pellets can be bought from big box stores for $197 (decent quality), and a 10% coupon can be found on ebay for $2, bringing the price to ~$170.

Wood is definitely the way to go if you have the property to harvest the wood.

Pellets are nice because I get to store them all in the garage, so come winter time I don't have to worry about heading outside and bringing in wood and any insects etc that come with them. When needed, I just rip open a 40lb bag and fill up the hopper, and I don't have to worry about it for another 24 hours.

Regarding electricity, stoves (once running) use about 75W. You're right about them definitely needing electricity, but I have a generator with a low total harmonic distortion that I run off of propane when the lights go out.

Doing your homework is always the most important part!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 02:36 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Wife & I purchased a house this year that uses heating oil for heat + water.
I haven't had to purchase heating oil since 2006 when I was in a rental unit.

Since then my favorite heating oil company (CF Oil) in New Britain has gone out of business. In my experience CF always had the lowest cash price for heating oil.

My question is who has the lowest cash price for heating oil that will deliver to Rocky Hill ? I am not interested in any price contracts or contracts to clean/inspect my furnace. I only want the cash price. Minimum 150 gallons is OK. I can pay cash money or with a check on delivery day.

I can not find any reliable cash prices on the internet. If you know of a good source for pricing that is also acceptable and please let me know.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
My question is who has the lowest cash price for heating oil that will deliver to Rocky Hill ? I am not interested in any price contracts or contracts to clean/inspect my furnace. I only want the cash price. Minimum 150 gallons is OK. I can pay cash money or with a check on delivery day.

I can not find any reliable cash prices on the internet. If you know of a good source for pricing that is also acceptable and please let me know.
Try Piro...Not sure how far they go but worth a call. Frank Piro.
203-846-3835. Low prices, no contracts and able to pay with CC.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,124 times
$3.54/ gallon this year. Ouch! Fortunately I only have to do one large fill-up per season.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I call around when I need oil, I don't do contracts. Cheapest I found yesterday in my area (Glastonbury/Marlborough) was $3.39/gallon from Advantage Fuel in Manchester. My coworker just filled up on Tuesday from Advanced Oil in Salem for $3.31/gallon.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM

879 posts, read 1,660,162 times
I've been really wanting to do a pellet stove, but I just can't figure out a way to make it worthwhile when the place it would fit best is the dining room. We don't have a huge house (1424 sq ft), but with all 3 bedrooms upstairs, how would we circulate the air well enough to make it so that our dining room wasn't 80 degrees with everything else at 55?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
I've been really wanting to do a pellet stove, but I just can't figure out a way to make it worthwhile when the place it would fit best is the dining room. We don't have a huge house (1424 sq ft), but with all 3 bedrooms upstairs, how would we circulate the air well enough to make it so that our dining room wasn't 80 degrees with everything else at 55?
Not sure your exact floor plan but there are a Few ways to do it but keep in mind you wont be able to get that same temperature everywhere.

- If you have central heating vents you can turn the thermostat to "fan only" this way it circulates the air throughout the home trying to regulate the temp.. It doesnt work for me since the air handler is in the basement and cold air comes through vents.

- If you have a stairway nearby chances are the temp difference wont be that much. 75/65 is more reasonable. You always want it warmer at the main living area and slightly cooler upstairs anyway.

- Cut out a pass through vent in your ceiling downstairs that will help the heat pass through to go upstairs. Do a couple of them.

- Keep Ceiling fans upstairs on to draw the heat up easier.

- having it in the Dining Room is probably not necessary when it will give same results in a fireplace or a corner somewhere else. Heat convection is a thing of beauty.

I have to remind people because I come across many that forget... With a pellet stove you need electric to run it. So if power goes out, you have no heat.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 AM

879 posts, read 1,660,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Not sure your exact floor plan but there are a Few ways to do it but keep in mind you wont be able to get that same temperature everywhere.

- If you have central heating vents you can turn the thermostat to "fan only" this way it circulates the air throughout the home trying to regulate the temp.. It doesnt work for me since the air handler is in the basement and cold air comes through vents.

- If you have a stairway nearby chances are the temp difference wont be that much. 75/65 is more reasonable. You always want it warmer at the main living area and slightly cooler upstairs anyway.

- Cut out a pass through vent in your ceiling downstairs that will help the heat pass through to go upstairs. Do a couple of them.

- Keep Ceiling fans upstairs on to draw the heat up easier.

- having it in the Dining Room is probably not necessary when it will give same results in a fireplace or a corner somewhere else. Heat convection is a thing of beauty.

I have to remind people because I come across many that forget... With a pellet stove you need electric to run it. So if power goes out, you have no heat.
Thank you!

We don't have a fireplace. And now that I think of it, the dining room is no longer optimal now that we put a buffet in the corner I was thinking of anyways

Old 12-15-2011, 02:52 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I call around when I need oil, I don't do contracts. Cheapest I found yesterday in my area (Glastonbury/Marlborough) was $3.39/gallon from Advantage Fuel in Manchester. My coworker just filled up on Tuesday from Advanced Oil in Salem for $3.31/gallon.
Yes just like you I don't do contracts.

I called advanced, but they don't deliver to Rocky Hill.

Went with Advantage in Manchester since they do deliver to Rocky hill price was 3.399 COD. I can pay with a check, altho they took my check's routing number over the phone. Never had anyone ask that before.

Called another company in Portland they wanted 3.89 and wanted to get me into a contract for auto deliver. No thanks. I find that when I have to write a check for $500+ for oil that encourages me to conserve. Checks like that are painful to write.

What's funny is the company in Portland wouldn't even deliver COD. Must be nice to be in a position to turn down business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut