Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Bingo! That's exactly it. Like I said, we can both own similar homes and drive the same car, but mine is "there" so it can't possibly be as worthy.
There are certainly people in Glastonbury like that, but I really don't think it's the majority. I've gotten to know many in the town this and last summer and they are some of the nicest people I know. I don't think they're nice to me because I live in a nice town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
And please, if you move there, please don't move to one of the "upscale neighborhoods". I think those are probably some of the snobbiest, most dysfunctional people/families that I have ever met.
Dysfunctional in what way? If anything, these are the most traditional and conservative people. Hardly dysfunctional IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:13 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There are certainly people in Glastonbury like that, but I really don't think it's the majority. I've gotten to know many in the town this and last summer and they are some of the nicest people I know. I don't think they're nice to me because I live in a nice town.
Oh I never said they were not nice, in fact I said just the opposite. I'm just, you know...not fortunate enough to live in their town.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Oh I never said they were not nice, in fact I said just the opposite. I'm just, you know...not fortunate enough to live in their town.
No disrespect JV, but I think it's more the person feeling unfortunate than anything. Like I said before, it seems more like an inferiority complex from people in East Hartford and Manchester over a superiority complex on Glastonbury's part. You can definitely live in Glastonbury if you want to (borrowing a little more from the bank for a home is definitley cheaper than paying 8 mills more per year in property taxes).

I live in Branford. There are people here living in 500k Branford homes saying "oh those people in Guilford and Madison are snobs." My question to them is, are they REALLY snobs, or are you just mad your home is worth 50k less?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
No disrespect JV, but I think it's more the person feeling unfortunate than anything. Like I said before, it seems more like an inferiority complex from people in East Hartford and Manchester over a superiority complex on Glastonbury's part. You can definitely live in Glastonbury if you want to (borrowing a little more from the bank for a home is definitley cheaper than paying 8 mills more per year in property taxes).

I live in Branford. There are people here living in 500k Branford homes saying "oh those people in Guilford and Madison are snobs." My question to them is, are they REALLY snobs, or are you just mad your home is worth 50k less?
Absolutely not, I'm perfectly happy where I am. I usually just laugh it off when it happens, and trust me, it happens and it's not "perceived."

Maybe you don't notice it because...

P.S. I have no problem with a town being tony. In fact, if we do stay in CT we'll probably be purchasing in Avon.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Absolutely not, I'm perfectly happy where I am. I usually just laugh it off when it happens, and trust me, it happens and it's not "perceived."

Maybe you don't notice it because...

P.S. I have no problem with a town being tony. In fact, if we do stay in CT we'll probably be purchasing in Avon.
Easy there.

Avon!?!? Weren't you trying to find somewhere cheaper??

Old 08-05-2011, 10:22 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Quote:

Dysfunctional in what way? If anything, these are the most traditional and conservative people. Hardly dysfunctional IMO.

Yes, clearly because you hang out with one rich guy in town, you would know everything. Why don't you find out about divorce rates, kids on drugs and in therapy and then let me know about it. FYI, my in laws live in one of those "upscale" neighborhoods and I have a friend who was a therapist in town for 5 years - yup, mostly the richie families are the ones with issues, perhaps they just do a better job hiding it. And if you look back to my post you would see how much interaction I have actually had with different families, neighborhoods through various things.....Lets see, I have stories on cheating, suicidal kids, kids on drugs - traditional, conservative, perhaps, doesn't mean they aren't dysfunctional.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviello View Post
maybe you don't notice it because...
Yeah, thats what I think...

Ohh, so now "i feel unfortunate", interesting...and here my wife and I combined earned almost $200K last year...How do we manage to live in EH when utopia is calling to us from the south....

Here is a trick, try this at the next big party you go to in glastonbury. Introduce yourself to someone you know lives in town. When they ask you where you live - tell them you live in EH or Manchester. Do this a few times, then let us know what kind of responses you get.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, clearly because you hang out with one rich guy in town, you would know everything. Why don't you find out about divorce rates, kids on drugs and in therapy and then let me know about it. FYI, my in laws live in one of those "upscale" neighborhoods and I have a friend who was a therapist in town for 5 years - yup, mostly the richie families are the ones with issues, perhaps they just do a better job hiding it. And if you look back to my post you would see how much interaction I have actually had with different families, neighborhoods through various things.....Lets see, I have stories on cheating, suicidal kids, kids on drugs - traditional, conservative, perhaps, doesn't mean they aren't dysfunctional.
And clearly because you know someone who lives in an upscale neighborhood and "have a friend" who is a therapist, you would know everything?

Mostly the richie families are the ones with issues? Where are you getting that from, or are you just pulling it out of thin air because you "have a friend" who is a therapist (who, by the way, must not be a very good one if he's sharing the problems of his patients).

Do we need to compare how many baby daddys are running around East Hartford and Manchester as compared to Glastonbury - and they're "functional"? Or to be a little more PC, how many single mothers there are without deadbeat fathers around? I can look up the stats and post them, as I'm SURE they would tower over the amount of divorced, or "dysfunctional" families out there. People in middle class towns don't cheat? They never have suicide in their community? No drugs?? For the record, a divorced family is not a dysfunctional family.

Look, I'm not saying the upper-middle class doesn't have issues. I'm saying they don't have any MORE issues than the upper, middle, or lower classes. If you want to talk stats, then lets see the numbers.

Quote:
Yeah, thats what I think...
Ahh, I see what you did there.

Lets see -

I work in a blue collar profession.
I drive a crappy car.
I own a 1998 crappy pick-up.
I fish, hike, do my own landscaping and fix my own vehicles.

Jeesh, what a snob I must be, huh?? I choose to see people for who they are vs where they live. But that's me...

Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
And clearly because you know someone who lives in an upscale neighborhood and "have a friend" who is a therapist, you would know everything?

Mostly the richie families are the ones with issues? Where are you getting that from, or are you just pulling it out of thin air because you "have a friend" who is a therapist (who, by the way, must not be a very good one if he's sharing the problems of his patients).

Do we need to compare how many baby daddys are running around East Hartford and Manchester as compared to Glastonbury - and they're "functional"? Or to be a little more PC, how many single mothers there are without deadbeat fathers around? I can look up the stats and post them, as I'm SURE they would tower over the amount of divorced, or "dysfunctional" families out there. People in middle class towns don't cheat? They never have suicide in their community? No drugs?? For the record, a divorced family is not a dysfunctional family.

Look, I'm not saying the upper-middle class doesn't have issues. I'm saying they don't have any MORE issues than the upper, middle, or lower classes. If you want to talk stats, then lets see the numbers.

Ahh, I see what you did there.

Lets see -

I work in a blue collar profession.
I drive a crappy car.
I own a 1998 crappy pick-up.
I fish, hike, do my own landscaping and fix my own vehicles.

Jeesh, what a snob I must be, huh?? I choose to see people for who they are vs where they live. But that's me...
No - you're just one of the wanna be's

And once again thank you for taking a post and twisting it for your own purposes....lets see...

A) I never said, EH or Manchester didn't have problems, nor did I say that Glastonbury has more problems, but thank you for putting words in my mouth. If you go back to the original point of the post, I was answering an OP's concerns about living in glastonbury based on my experiences, which certainly exceed yours.
B) where did I say that divorce means dysfunctional? Again, thank you for putting words in my mouth.
C) Oh - are you the CD ethics police now too? Thank you for discrediting my friend, who 1) is a female, 2) speaks in general terms when we discuss these things, but again, thanks for going over the top and questioning the professionalism and knowledge of someone you don't even know.

Last edited by Uconn97; 08-05-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
No - you're just one of the wanna be's
I'm not the only peasant who hangs with them. Honestly though, they're great people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut