U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,016,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No disrespect JV, but I think it's more the person feeling unfortunate than anything. Like I said before, it seems more like an inferiority complex from people in East Hartford and Manchester over a superiority complex on Glastonbury's part. You can definitely live in Glastonbury if you want to (borrowing a little more from the bank for a home is definitley cheaper than paying 8 mills more per year in property taxes).

I live in Branford. There are people here living in 500k Branford homes saying "oh those people in Guilford and Madison are snobs." My question to them is, are they REALLY snobs, or are you just mad your home is worth 50k less?
There may be people in working class towns who have preconceived notions about the ones who live in wealthy areas, but believe me, there ARE people in upper-class places who do look down on others like they're second class citizens. I've met more than a few people from Simsbury who have a really condescending attitude once I told them where I live. My buddy's GF lives in a really nice condo in WH right off FarmingtonA ve and they've told her she lives in "the ghetto." I'm not making this up. Now, I'm no psychiatrist, but I do own a couch, and IMO these people are just suffering from a major case of Farmington Valley elitism and they need to deflate their big heads and float down to earth with the rest of us. The more I hear ridiculous comments like this, the more I appreciate where I live and grateful I am that idiots like these don't live here. For all its pastoral charm, low crime and high quality of life, FV is not what I consider a racially sensitive place. They should get over themselves and admit they're no better or worse. There are still people there who really say they're immune to things like crime and teen drug use because they're further away from the city. But IMO, if you really believe that ,you should either be packed off to Bellevue or asked to co-host The View.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 08-05-2011 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 12:28 PM

3,276 posts, read 2,669,148 times
I have met people from Simsbury who made comments about me living East of the River when I was in Glastonbury. And the snobs and "keeping up with the Joneses" attitudes I have run into in the Raleigh, NC area make Glastonbury seem like the veritable welcome mat. Just a matter of perspective.

Seriously, if you go looking for attitudes, you will find then, if you ignore them, they suddenly go away. So in that regard, I don't see Glastonbury as snobby at all. And just ask the fur wearing women in the middle of the Stop & Shop aisle how my grocery cart feels too. ;-)

It is just a nice town that has a ton of amenities and is a good place to live. Who wouldn't be proud of that?

Old 08-05-2011, 12:30 PM

10,692 posts, read 8,076,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I have met people from Simsbury who made comments about me living East of the River when I was in Glastonbury. And the snobs and "keeping up with the Joneses" attitudes I have run into in the Raleigh, NC area make Glastonbury seem like the veritable welcome mat. Just a matter of perspective.
I think Glastonbury has turned into a town to prove all those snobs wrong that east of the river is lower class. It's developed into a town that can hold its own with any in the Hartford area.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:44 PM

12,056 posts, read 12,843,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
A) I never said, EH or Manchester didn't have problems, nor did I say that Glastonbury has more problems, but thank you for putting words in my mouth. If you go back to the original point of the post, I was answering an OP's concerns about living in glastonbury based on my experiences, which certainly exceed yours.
I'm comparing EH and Manchester because those are the two working class towns that you and JV live in (the two claiming Glastonbury to be disgusting snobby). So, it's okay for you two to compare them, but not me?

Your experiences with Glastonbury "exceed" mine? I didn't realize we were challenging each other's experiences, instead offering opinions based on them. But if we're going to do that - when did you live in Glastonbury?

Quote:
B) where did I say that divorce means dysfunctional? Again, thank you for putting words in my mouth.
It can certainly be perceived from your post, where in the same paragraph you concluded "richies" are dysfunctional:
Quote:
Why don't you find out about divorce rates, kids on drugs and in therapy and then let me know about it.
Each paragraph represents a topic, as we learned in grammar school, right? Topic of above paragraph: why "richies" are dysfunctional.

Quote:
C) Oh - are you the CD ethics police now too? Thank you for discrediting my friend, who 1) is a female, 2) speaks in general terms when we discuss these things, but again, thanks for going over the top and questioning the professionalism and knowledge of someone you don't even know.
Let's stick to our own experiences over our "therapist friend's".

Jeeze, I see having a civil discussion with you is out of the question, as always.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
It is just a nice town that has a ton of amenities and is a good place to live. Who wouldn't be proud of that?
Exactly.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,340,699 times
Quote:
I'm comparing EH and Manchester because those are the two working class towns that you and JV live in (the two claiming Glastonbury to be disgusting snobby). So, it's okay for you two to compare them, but not me?
I was answering the OP's request for info - You are/were not.

Quote:
Your experiences with Glastonbury "exceed" mine? I didn't realize we were challenging each other's experiences, instead offering opinions based on them. But if we're going to do that - when did you live in Glastonbury?
Actually I am challenging your experiences because your opinions are based on limited exposures. Mine are not. I "lived there" from 1996-2002, with my soon to be wife. Get it?

Quote:
It can certainly be perceived from your post, where in the same paragraph you concluded "richies" are dysfunctional:
You can perceive whatever you want - doesn't mean you are perceiving what I said as accuarate.

Quote:
Each paragraph represents a topic, as we learned in grammar school, right? Topic of above paragraph: why "richies" are dysfunctional.

C) Oh - are you the CD ethics police now too? Thank you for discrediting my friend, who 1) is a female, 2) speaks in general terms when we discuss these things, but again, thanks for going over the top and questioning the professionalism and knowledge of someone you don't even know.

Let's stick to our own experiences over our "therapist friend's".

Jeeze, I see having a civil discussion with you is out of the question, as always.
Again, the OP asked for info and I provided what I know, experienced and have heard, not sure what that seems to be hard for you to grasp or what business it is of yours where I get my info. Your info can be deemed as just and unrealiable as you are claiming mine is - wouldn't you agree?

Yes, you are one to talk about having civil discussions with anyone when you start throwing around terms like "baby daddy" and putting words in peoples mouths. Classic.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, you are one to talk about having civil discussions with anyone when you start throwing around terms like "baby daddy". Classic.
I'm sorry you're offended, but that's reality man.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:02 PM

2,820 posts, read 2,958,855 times
Glastonbury has a lot to offer with its central location, access to highways, proximity to Hartford, and a quick drive to two major hospitals. The driving force however for most is higher performing schools than other 1st-tier suburbs east of the river. I grew up in East Hartford. Most of my friends and cousins who grew up in East Hartford and stayed in the Hartford area after college picked Glastonbury because they wanted good schools for their children. My younger cousins were especially determined to find good schools as they were in high school in East Hartford in the late 80s and early 90s and saw how their school declined especially in comparison to what their older siblings experienced.

It is self-fulfilling. As educated people flee places like East Hartford, Manchester, Vernon, etc., those communities are left with less economically- diverse populations. My aunts and uncles still live there and many of the neighborhoods are still as attractive as they were years ago but it is a hard sell for educated families with school-aged children or those looking to start a family because of the importance people place on schools.

It's hard to argue with someone wanting the best educational opportunities for their children. However, sometimes the perception is greater than the reality.

As time goes on there are fewer people willing to stick it out and fight for a community that is experiencing decline. For most people it is less painful to move since they recognize that many of their neighbors won't be sticking around for the fight and the longer they stay the more difficult it is going to be financially as property values decline.

I'd bet if you asked people in Glastonbury where they grew up you'd find a lot were from East Hartford, Manchester, Wethersfield, Hartford, etc.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:03 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,340,699 times
Oh, I'm not offended that you are picking up terms when you watch Jerry Springer. Thats your choice.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:13 PM

14 posts, read 9,010 times
WOW - I certainly set off a firestorm! I'm just as confused as I was when I began this post! I guess I am seeing that Glastonbury is much like other towns in that you have down to earth people and people with their nose in the air, and that the people who are "snobby" (for lack of a better word) wouldn't want to be friends with me or my family anyhow. Which suits me just fine! Right? I wish you all knew ME and could tell me if I'd do okay there! ha ha. Actually, I wish you all knew me so I'd at least know SOMEONE in Connecticut before I move all the way up there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut