Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I wonder if most of "them" realize that Hebron has passed Glastonbury in HH income.
I really don't think most of the people in Glastonbury care. Glastonbury has always had a diverse housing stock. There is a town owned housing project for moderate income families. There are many apartments. There are many modest homes. It hasn't stopped people from buying upscale homes here and I doubt it ever will. If thye were that concerned about they would buy a home in Avon instead. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:35 AM

46 posts, read 72,308 times
Jay I'm not certain where you read that we spent all of our time at Starbucks, but we went all over. Restaurants, banks, grocery stores, town hall. The lady at the community events desk at town hall was really crabby.

I'm tired of the attitude that "I'm better than you". CT has so much of it that you don't even realize it!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firengineer View Post
Jay I'm not certain where you read that we spent all of our time at Starbucks, but we went all over. Restaurants, banks, grocery stores, town hall. The lady at the community events desk at town hall was really crabby.

I'm tired of the attitude that "I'm better than you". CT has so much of it that you don't even realize it!
If you went to the Stop & Shop on Glastonbury Boulevard and found it snobby, then you and I have very different definitions of snobby. It is about as down to earth as you can get. First half the people in there are from East
Hartford and the other half are people of more modest means from the North End of town. I do not find anyone there snobby. Maybe they are not in your face friendly but they certainly aren't there putting on airs like people would at Somerset Square.
Also I am not sure what Community Events Desk at Town Hall you are talking about. Do you mean the front desk on the lower level when you walk in? I have always found the people there to be very nice. They even say hello when I walk in the front door and go upstairs instead of down ot their level. Maybe you are confusing someone who is reserved as being snobby. Jay

Old 08-12-2011, 06:44 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
I am heading back up to CT next week and one of the things I am looking forward to is visiting Glastonbury since it is such a nice town. Taking a drive to some of those nice farm stands in South Glastonbury and meeting some friends out for a drink or dinner.

Just a wonderful town.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
First half the people in there are from East
Hartford and the other half are people of more modest means from the North End of town.
How do you know this? I've been in that Stop and Shop many times and i'm not able to discern who lives where...

Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
From what I have seen, been living in Glastonbury for 7 years now, stop and shop on Glastonbury blvd has a greater "mix" of people than the other stop and shop off of oak street. Greater diversity....hence, I would believe since it also close to the E. Hartford border, many people from the southern end of E. Hartford shop there.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
How do you know this? I've been in that Stop and Shop many times and i'm not able to discern who lives where...
Actually I have a good source for this marketing information. You are right that you can't tell where people are from looking at them but you can see that there are not many people dressed up in designer clothes or driving fancy cars. Jay

Old 08-23-2011, 01:07 PM

Visited Glastonbury a couple of times last week and took a nice drive out through the orchards and along the river plus I drove by my old place (miss that place). Went to Plan B and Gilbert's with friends and didn't find any apparent snobs or attitudes at all. It was quite nice and I am surprised to see how booming the downtown section is now.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Visited Glastonbury a couple of times last week and took a nice drive out through the orchards and along the river plus I drove by my old place (miss that place). Went to Plan B and Gilbert's with friends and didn't find any apparent snobs or attitudes at all. It was quite nice and I am surprised to see how booming the downtown section is now.
Gilberts. Good food.

I've never seen "snobbery" outright in public. What I have seen is an heir of superiority about WHERE people live in more personal settings and conversations.

Glad you got to come back, hope you enjoyed your stay.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Gilberts. Good food.

I've never seen "snobbery" outright in public. What I have seen is an heir of superiority about WHERE people live in more personal settings and conversations.

Glad you got to come back, hope you enjoyed your stay.
Jay, I did. Visited with the family and enjoyed some of the cooler weather (cooler than NC) and some golf and lots of time with friends. Downside: airlines lost my golf clubs on the way home (I got them back finally), some woman rolled into the bumper of the car I was driving (brand new) .

So I guess in the end it all worked out and everything is good.

BTW, the bartender at Gilberts, Sam is one of the best. I honestly think he brings in a ton of business there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut