Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Of the top 10 largest shopping malls in Connecticut, which one do you like the most?
Danbury Fair (Danbury) 18 34.62%
Enfield Square Mall (Enfield) 1 1.92%
Westfarms (Farmington) 18 34.62%
Shoppes at Buckland Hills (Manchester) 5 9.62%
Westfield Meriden (Meriden) 1 1.92%
Westfield Connecticut Post (Milford) 2 3.85%
Stamford Town Center (Stamford) 5 9.62%
Westfield Trumbull (Trumbull) 1 1.92%
Brass Mill Center and Commons (Waterbury) 1 1.92%
Crystal Mall (Waterford) 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Ah, Crystals! I was there earlier this year and it was like a ghost building. The only people shopping there were wealthy Asian couples. If I ever go back, it'll only be for the high end lingerie store. Everything else was kind of generic. Love the Fashion Show mall for the specialty Bettie Page boutique!

As for malls in the area, I really only go to the Westchester in White Plains to do serious shopping. Blows the malls in CT that I've visited out of the water.
I think I need to check it out. Other CT malls are too far away from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 07:23 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yeah - I've noticed that most people are voting for the mall that's closest to them.

I haven't voted, but I sure won't vote for the one near me!

I'm torn. I grew up near Westfarms, when it had all the cool little shops. But as a previous poster mentoned about one mall, the got rid of stores like that to get rid of that "teenage attraction" thing. Westfarms did the same and I could take it or leave it now.

I do like Buckland Hills (Manchester).

I can't say much else as I've only been to Enfield, Crystal Mall, Danbury and Waterbury once each, and that was YEARS ago. I do remember the Enfield one seemed too empty to me.

Never been to Milford or Trumbull.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 PM

834 posts, read 2,277,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The 70's??? The Buckland Hills mall opened in 1990. It is a classic amll design with anchors on each end and at key points along the main concourse. West Farms has the same general layout as do many of the malls in this country. It has some nice detailing and the roof over the mall is designed to look like a tent. I would not call that 70's. Jay
Well for a mall that opened in 1990, it looks like a 70's- 80's type layout.
Just my opinion, Jay. And I know a lot of other people who agree with me. Mention Buckland Hills and you'll usually get an "eh". Most people where I am go to WF. If they make a trip, it's to go to Danbury or even The Westchester.
The shopping around Buckland Hills is fantastic, but the mall itself is nothing special. Certainly not anyplace I'd recommend for shopping unless a person lived right there.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:24 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
I voted Danbury.
I'm not showing that you voted any mall.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Well for a mall that opened in 1990, it looks like a 70's- 80's type layout.
Just my opinion, Jay. And I know a lot of other people who agree with me. Mention Buckland Hills and you'll usually get an "eh". Most people where I am go to WF. If they make a trip, it's to go to Danbury or even The Westchester.
The shopping around Buckland Hills is fantastic, but the mall itself is nothing special. Certainly not anyplace I'd recommend for shopping unless a person lived right there.
Did you go after the remodel and redesign and expansion? It made a world of difference.

It's not an upscale mall, but it fits the area perfectly. Middle class mall for middle class burbs.

Macy's, Penny's, Sears, Dicks, Barn's and Noble etc with some middle of the road infill. I didn't vote for it, but IMO it doesn't suck either. The old theme was more 80's with a circus tent feel.

This is basic look of the mall now:

They made it feel more "upscale" and brought the decor to a modern era. They replaced the old multi colored tiles with marble etc.

Architecturally speaking, I like it a ton better than WF. WF reminds me of a 70's mall that hasn't really been updated much.

This is the "tent" top that Jay was talking about.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:12 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
Buckland Hills has only been around since 1990? Wow, didn't know that!

Old 08-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not showing that you voted any mall.
That's weird. Not sure what happened. I voted Danbury just now.

Jviello, that part of the mall in the photo is the prettiest part. The rest of it looks like the malls in NJ when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's. Maybe NJ was ahead of its time and building 1990's malls back in the 70's? lol I don't know.

It's a matter of preference. I like the more modern feel in the newer malls. I didn't say the mall was a dump. It's just a mall. I'm just saying that it has an older feel. I guess I'm comparing it to malls in Florida that feel more open and modern.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:02 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
My opinion won't mean much as I haven't been to 50% of these malls! But, I'll say Danbury for my tastes. It has great shops, but the size isn't overwhelming. I grew up going to Trumbull and Milford, but really can't stand either now and consider them a great big mess. Brass Mill works for me because I'm more of an "in and out, get what I need" shopper. If you like to stroll malls and find things, that's not the place.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:09 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Jviello, that part of the mall in the photo is the prettiest part. The rest of it looks like the malls in NJ when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's. Maybe NJ was ahead of its time and building 1990's malls back in the 70's? lol I don't know.
I'm honestly thinking you probably haven't been there since the remodel because that's the way the whole mall looks now.

THIS was the old style:

http://www.hannoush.com/locations/stores/S-07-1e.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 PM

I don't know when they remodeled. Last time I was there was a couple of years ago. After we moved here I checked it out, wasn't nuts about it. Not that it was bad, mind you. Just not worth the 45 minute drive for me. Then I went and saw it again and thought the same thing. It looked very much like a mall I used to go to when I lived in NJ. It was kind of nostalgic for me. It's a nice mall, and if I lived out there, I'm sure I'd go there. Like I said, I'm not a mall person. So if I go, I like a mall like Danbury or The Westchester. I think it's the shopping around the mall that is very impressive. I hate driving all over the place for errands so I like the shopping like they have in Manchester.

btw when I was there it looked like the first photo you posted. I don't know if that is before or after the remodel.

Last edited by Yankeerose00; 08-14-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut