U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,732,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
That's a pretty lofty generalization, given that the wealthiest towns in CT tend to go Republican - while the cities that are the most impoverished and uneducated go Democrat. Explain that?

Full disclosure: I align with neither party, but find statements such as yours baseless.
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
THIS...

It just so happens, the worst parts of most states tend to be the most populated, and tend to swing left. Bridgeport cost us a (R) governor and a (R) state rep in Fairfield county...the rest of which voted heavily Republican. Figures...the folks who actually PAY for this stuff, end up with the least say in how it's spent.
x3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:37 PM

102 posts, read 36,055 times
Quote:
That's a pretty lofty generalization, given that the wealthiest towns in CT tend to go Republican - while the cities that are the most impoverished and uneducated go Democrat. Explain that?

Full disclosure: I align with neither party, but find statements such as yours baseless.

Right. Because Connecticut is the only state in the union with such alleged polarization.

Newsflash: Connecticut has one of the lowest rates of poverty (and % of African Americans) in the country so to attribute the high approval numbers to inner city poors is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, most Connecticut residents are middle class, not rich or poor so i'm not sure what "wealthiest" and "poorest" has to do with anything (even though the richest people in Connecticut and US are democrat voters, but that's another story all together). Fact is, Connecticut is a blue state. Period.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:17 PM

10,430 posts, read 7,471,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreetmafia View Post
Right. Because Connecticut is the only state in the union with such alleged polarization.

Newsflash: Connecticut has one of the lowest rates of poverty (and % of African Americans) in the country so to attribute the high approval numbers to inner city poors is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, most Connecticut residents are middle class, not rich or poor so i'm not sure what "wealthiest" and "poorest" has to do with anything (even though the richest people in Connecticut and US are democrat voters, but that's another story all together). Fact is, Connecticut is a blue state. Period.
First off, you're putting words into my mouth. I never said Connecticut wasn't a blue state. I also never said that the high approval numbers should be attributed to inner city poors. Also, nowhere was the factor of race an issue, so thanks for the unnecessary "polarization".

I said the wealthiest towns tend to go Republican. Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Fairfield, Madison, Ridgefield, Wilton, Weston. These are towns with average HHI above $100k.

I also said the poorest cities tend to go Democrat. Bridgeport, New Haven, Waterbury, Hartford. HHI under 40k.

FACTS. And facts stated to counter a generalized statement that "It's no surprise his ratings are highest in the wealthiest and most educated states and lowest in the poorest/dumbest states."

Your condescension is totally unnecessary.

Let's see your statistics that the richest people in CT and the US are democrat voters.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 PM

46 posts, read 9,937 times
Quote:
First off, you're putting words into my mouth.
Let's see your statistics that the richest people in CT and the US are democrat voters.
Actually the wealthy in Connecticut voted for Obama, and by a large margin.

Quote:
The table below shows the election returns from 3 affluent towns outside of Hartford and 9 wealthy suburbs of New York City in Fairfield County.

Only two of Connecticut’s wealthiest towns voted for McCain. New Canaan (53.1% McCain) and Darien (54.6%) gave the Republicans a rare victory.

In a change of pace from many recent elections, Greenwich, the epicenter of hedge funds and splashy wealth along Blue Blood estates, voted for Barack Obama (53.8%). Westport, a suburb well know for its arts scene and culture vultures, was an outlier as Obama took a healthy 65.3% of the vote. Only the much more socio-economically diverse and larger suburb of West Hartford gave President Obama a greater margin of victory (70.2%). As West Hartford is an older suburb, it’s voting pattern is consistent with the fact that the inner suburbs, even the most affluent, are trending Democratic.

http://higley1000.com/archives/121
Nice try.

Again, it's no secret that the wealthiest and most educated states are D voters. The President has the lowest ratings in Louisiana, Alabama, West Virginia, Mississippi, Kentucky, and Arkansas. Why exactly is it "ignorant" to point out the common themes amongst the states that seem to strongly dislike him? They're all poor/uneducated/backwards cesspools. There, I said it.

And in the case of wealthy folk, it's no surprise that the absolute richest people in the US are D. Pick up Forbes magazine and check out their political contributions. A fairly simple task. All of Connecticut's billionaires are Democrats. Wall Street = Democrat.

Here are the richest counties in the United States per top 5% income in the United States

Wealthiest by top 5% Household Income:

1. New York, NY: $857,643 - FLAMING BLUE
2. Fairfield, CT: $822,708 - BLUE
3. Westchester, NY: $793,134 - BLUE
4. Somerset, NJ: $625,869 - BLUE
5. Marin, CA: $624,762 - FLAMING BLUE
6. Montgomery, MD: $567,190 - BLUE
7. Hunterdon, NJ: $554,015 - BLUE
8. Morris, NJ: $546,982 - BLUE
9. Nassau, NY: $538,307 - BLUE
10. San Francisco, CA: $523,744 - FLAMING BLUE

In fact, Obama won wealthy voters nationwide per exit polling in 2008. Especially in Connecticut which is a very blue state across all socioeconomic levels.

Last edited by andover11; 08-08-2011 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 11:49 PM

That election also saw a lot of traditionally red areas going blue. 2004 was a different race and 2012 will be too. I was citing the gubernatorial race, and my statement still stands. For instance, it's a fact that there are more registered Republicans in Greenwich than Democrats, despite Obama winning that town in 2008. That was a big swing.

Why would you quote a statistic of the top 5% of earners? It's the bottom 95% that decides elections in those counties.

The point is that you cannot generalize income and education status to party preference. It's ridiculous. I'm not saying there aren't wealthy Democrats or poor Republicans. I'm just making the point that it's not nearly as clearcut as you're suggesting.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
That election also saw a lot of traditionally red areas going blue. 2004 was a different race and 2012 will be too. I was citing the gubernatorial race, and my statement still stands. For instance, it's a fact that there are more registered Republicans in Greenwich than Democrats, despite Obama winning that town in 2008. That was a big swing.

Why would you quote a statistic of the top 5% of earners? It's the bottom 95% that decides elections in those counties.

The point is that you cannot generalize income and education status to party preference. It's ridiculous. I'm not saying there aren't wealthy Democrats or poor Republicans. I'm just making the point that it's not nearly as clearcut as you're suggesting.
Um, I quoted top 5% statistic because if I'm not mistaken, it was you who brought up rich people and who they voted for. Fact is, the wealthy in Connecticut voted for the President. With the exception of Darien and New Canaan, every other wealthy $150,000+ household income Connecticut town voted heavily for him.

Weston, for instance, is just as rich as New Canaan ($180,434 vs $180,321 HHI) and Obama won overwhelmingly, 63% vs McCain's 37%. If the President still holds onto a high 60% approval rating in Connecticut, I doubt these numbers have changed much. But According to Kidyankee and JViello and the other R's on this forum, these numbers were probably boosted by recent politically active underprivileged African Americans living in Weston, LOL.

Last edited by andover11; 08-09-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andover11 View Post
Um, I quoted top 5% statistic because if I'm not mistaken, it was you who brought up rich people and who they voted for.
Do you know how to read statistics?

That top 5% statistic you listed takes into account the average HHI of the top 5% of earners in that county.

Again: the top 5% does not decide the outcome of an election.

In addition, some areas are known for wealthy liberals, and some areas are known for wealthy conservatives. You're really not making much of a point and your original statement doesn't hold much water.
Quote:
1 City of Falls Church, Virginia $113,313
2 Loudoun County, Virginia $112,021
3 Fairfax County, Virginia $104,259
4 Hunterdon County, New Jersey $102,500
5 Howard County, Maryland $101,003
6 Los Alamos County, New Mexico $100,423
7 Douglas County, Colorado $99,522
8 Morris County, New Jersey $96,316
9 Somerset County, New Jersey $96,233
10 City of Fairfax, Virginia $96,233
11 Arlington County, Virginia $93,806
12 Nassau County, New York $92,450
13 Montgomery County, Maryland $92,213
14 Calvert County, Maryland $90,621
15 Stafford County, Virginia $90,586
16 Prince William County, Virginia $88,850
17 Williamson County, Tennessee $88,358
18 Forsyth County, Georgia $88,040
19 Putnam County, New York $88,036
20 Marin County, California $87,728
21 Charles County, Maryland $86,141
22 Santa Clara County, California $85,569
23 Delaware County, Ohio $85,054
24 Poquoson city, Virginia $84,688
25 Suffolk County, New York $84,530

Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 AM

Again, in keeping with your original argument about the voting patterns of the rich, point still remains that the richest counties in the United States vote D. I don't really care what the top 5% determines, facts remain that the richest most enlightened areas in the country are D.

The vast majority of the counties you posted are D voting counties. $80,000-$113,000 income households do not decide elections either as only a tiny fraction of Americans make such, so what purpose did that list serve other than to prove my original point?

Counties by % 200,000+ income earners.

1. New York County, NY 19%
2. Somerset County, NJ 17%
3. Hunterdon County, NJ 17%
4. Westchester County, NY 16%
5. Fairfield County, CT 16%
6. Fairfax County, VA 16%
7. Nantucket, MA 16%
7. Marin County, CA 16%
8. Loudon County, VA 16%
9. Morris County, NJ 15%
10.Montgomery County, MD 15%
11. Nassau County, NY 14%
11. Pitkin County, CO 14%
13. Howard County, MD 14%
14. Santa Clara County, CA, 13%
15. San Mateo County, CA 13%
16. Williamson County, TN 13%
17. Bergen County, NJ 12%
18. Norfolk County, MA 12%
19. Chester County, PA 12%
20. Rockland County, NY 11%
http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer

Williamson County, TN is the ONLY red county on the list.

Last edited by andover11; 08-09-2011 at 12:31 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 AM

24,490 posts, read 12,975,619 times

Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 AM

3,269 posts, read 2,584,830 times
Connecticut has been privy to corrupt politics for decades (see the Dodds) so I am not surprised that they fell for the Celebrity-In-Chief and his political line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut