Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,710,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Obama Job Approval 50% or Higher in 16 States and D.C.

60% of CT people approve of Barack Obama's job performance. The highest of any state in the nation (other than DC).

I actually believe this. So far I have already seen quite a few Obama 2O12 bumper stickers, even in the parking lot at my work. And remember, CT was one of the only states in the nation that voted almost 100% Democrat in the midterm election of 2010.

Thoughts?
I would not be too proud of that stat............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 07:04 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
By increased government socially, I meant having them tell us who/what we can/can't do in our private life.
Quote:
Yeah - angry at anyone who doesn't agree with them. I know three people who are TEA Party members, all of whom I work with. They are disgusting, loud-mouthed douchebags who will claim anyone who doesn't agree with them a liberal.

Those three a-holes aside, I'm all for reducing taxes, spending, debt and upholding the constitution, but the TEA party has gone so far right that it goes past that. As I said, these are hypicrites who "favor" reduced government fiscally, but are for increased government socially. It's known that just under HALF of those who identify with the movement are Born Again Christians. This isn't a bad thing, but when they start shoving the "less government for me, more government for you" down our throats, that's when people start to back away and say, wait a minute. And that's exactly what's happening.

With the extremism in this country on both sides, it simply won't work. Again, a great movement in theory, but bad in practice.
I have to agree with you on this wholeheartedly. The problem is, the Tea Party represents a minority of the country (albeit enough of one to make some noise), but still very much a minority. But what I find with friends of that ilk is that if you try to have a debate with one there is absolutely no "hmm, I never thought of it that way" no matter what, just simply what you said that anything that even deviates say 5% from their agenda makes you a "dirty liberal", etc. And unlike those on the "far left" who feel this way (and I grant they certainly don't represent a major slice of the American populace either, probably even a little less of one than the Teabaggers), they will not simply disagree once, but keep going on and on (more later).

Another aspect that I despise is that most of them really take on this kind of "I don't give a damn if I'm the only person around who thinks this way I need to save you all from 'yourselves'" attitude. It's not said in those exact words but it's very obvious and really pisses people off.

The three perfect examples of this I find are on Facebook. My wife has FB friends on both extremes and the 3 or 4 "major lefties" will post something once every day or so, but her 3 or 4 "Tea friends" are posting things almost every hour they are up, literally. And most of their other friends are not of that persuasion and ask them to cut it down as they respect "hearing their voice" and don't want to block all their posts but that it is just too much and they will still not.

I posted on FB an article, I don't remember exactly what it was but it was about the unfair way someone got fired and was not too political (i.e. it wasn't about age discrimination or anything racial), in fact so unpolitical that my "left" friends didn't even jump on it, most outside of "Tea" simply said something like, "a sad sign of the times". My 3 "Tea" friends literally 'hijacked' it; it became a giant debate about everything in the workplace and they even said things like, "there should be no minimum wage at all; everyone would have a job (yeah, like people having jobs at 25c/hour is a good thing for America), especially teens and nonwhites (yes, this was said)". I eventually deleted it because it was just getting too much.

Finally, a childhood neighbor of mine (who also happens to be black, more on why I say this later), posted something simple about Michael Jackson's death (like, "RIP MJ your music touched my soul"). A mutual childhood neighbor of ours, a set of brothers, both very active Tea Partiers, simply went on and on in multiple comments about what an amoral child molester he was (which while possible was never proven) and how dare she post this to them (especially as she was someone who has small kids and they even noted how they think she is 'corrupting' them) and the world and how they wished FB would ban such posts. She had not heard from them in years outside of FB and actually called me in tears over it. Now to be honest, I think MJ was quite out there in his "personal life" and I think there was a lot of overhype after his death, but it doesn't take away his musical contributions and this was completely uncalled for, especially after the first comment on it. I mean Babe Ruth was a drunk and a womanizer, but it doesn't mean he doesn't belong in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Anyway, before I get way too long on this, this is my problem with the Tea Party. It takes away from any good ideas on fiscal discipline to be had, and to be honest, shoving it in people's faces constantly rather than trying to fairly "convince" people and never considering even one inch of the other's point of view for even one second is dictatorial and un-American.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Yeah - angry at anyone who doesn't agree with them. I know three people who are TEA Party members, all of whom I work with. They are disgusting, loud-mouthed douchebags who will claim anyone who doesn't agree with them a liberal.

Those three a-holes aside, I'm all for reducing taxes, spending, debt and upholding the constitution, but the TEA party has gone so far right that it goes past that. As I said, these are hypicrites who "favor" reduced government fiscally, but are for increased government socially. It's known that just under HALF of those who identify with the movement are Born Again Christians. This isn't a bad thing, but when they start shoving the "less government for me, more government for you" down our throats, that's when people start to back away and say, wait a minute. And that's exactly what's happening.

With the extremism in this country on both sides, it simply won't work. Again, a great movement in theory, but bad in practice.
Interesting. Honestly it hasn't been my experience. I *think* I get what you are saying about more and less government, but I'm not sure I agree. I'm guessing you are saying they want less government in one way but more regulation in others such as abortion?

I'd also be careful with "studies" that try to pin demographics of the Tea Party. One thing I have found is there is no central "Tea Party". It's not so much an actual organization as much as it's a mindset. I know I tried to find some local "chapters" to see what's up and it's really just a disorganized mess at that level.

And of course you've got special interests trying to claim "Tea Party Central" like FreedomworksTea Party Express etc, and many hard right wing republicans trying to shmooze their way in as well.

We HAVE an extremist in the Whitehouse right now! Why more people don't see that is IMO simply because they are not paying attention.

MikeCT a few posts back said that the right has moved WAY right. I would disagree and say the country has moved way left.

Think back 20 years ago, when Murphy Brown was a big moral issue on TV because she was having a baby without a husband. HA!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I have to agree with you on this wholeheartedly. The problem is, the Tea Party represents a minority of the country (albeit enough of one to make some noise), but still very much a minority. But what I find with friends of that ilk is that if you try to have a debate with one there is absolutely no "hmm, I never thought of it that way" no matter what, just simply what you said that anything that even deviates say 5% from their agenda makes you a "dirty liberal", etc. And unlike those on the "far left" who feel this way (and I grant they certainly don't represent a major slice of the American populace either, probably even a little less of one than the Teabaggers), they will not simply disagree once, but keep going on and on (more later).

Another aspect that I despise is that most of them really take on this kind of "I don't give a damn if I'm the only person around who thinks this way I need to save you all from 'yourselves'" attitude. It's not said in those exact words but it's very obvious and really pisses people off.

The three perfect examples of this I find are on Facebook. My wife has FB friends on both extremes and the 3 or 4 "major lefties" will post something once every day or so, but her 3 or 4 "Tea friends" are posting things almost every hour they are up, literally. And most of their other friends are not of that persuasion and ask them to cut it down as they respect "hearing their voice" and don't want to block all their posts but that it is just too much and they will still not.

I posted on FB an article, I don't remember exactly what it was but it was about the unfair way someone got fired and was not too political (i.e. it wasn't about age discrimination or anything racial), in fact so unpolitical that my "left" friends didn't even jump on it, most outside of "Tea" simply said something like, "a sad sign of the times". My 3 "Tea" friends literally 'hijacked' it; it became a giant debate about everything in the workplace and they even said things like, "there should be no minimum wage at all; everyone would have a job (yeah, like people having jobs at 25c/hour is a good thing for America), especially teens and nonwhites (yes, this was said)". I eventually deleted it because it was just getting too much.

Finally, a childhood neighbor of mine (who also happens to be black, more on why I say this later), posted something simple about Michael Jackson's death (like, "RIP MJ your music touched my soul"). A mutual childhood neighbor of ours, a set of brothers, both very active Tea Partiers, simply went on and on in multiple comments about what an amoral child molester he was (which while possible was never proven) and how dare she post this to them (especially as she was someone who has small kids and they even noted how they think she is 'corrupting' them) and the world and how they wished FB would ban such posts. She had not heard from them in years outside of FB and actually called me in tears over it. Now to be honest, I think MJ was quite out there in his "personal life" and I think there was a lot of overhype after his death, but it doesn't take away his musical contributions and this was completely uncalled for, especially after the first comment on it. I mean Babe Ruth was a drunk and a womanizer, but it doesn't mean he doesn't belong in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Anyway, before I get way too long on this, this is my problem with the Tea Party. It takes away from any good ideas on fiscal discipline to be had, and to be honest, shoving it in people's faces constantly rather than trying to fairly "convince" people and never considering even one inch of the other's point of view for even one second is dictatorial and un-American.
Again, we hear "racist" "angry" "extremist" pretty much all the left talking points attempting to discredit that movement.

I'm not going to sit here and defend the entire thing, I was deleted by the head of a chapter in Naugatuck on FB so I'm not going to pretend there are not aholes in the "movement" but by and large, I don't think that is the norm.

A lot of what you and other may perceive as "dictating" and "over the top" very well may just be a response to what has been happening in this country.

Most people are asleep at the wheel, and frankly need a good wack over the head. For instance, do you think most people have a friggin CLUE what the fed is doing to destroy our economic status? Do you think people even know what quantitative easing is? Do you think most people even know the Federal Reserve is NOT a government agency but a private bank? I mean that's just the tip of the iceberg. I guess no one is concerned that our sitting president had a communist grandfather, communist supporting father, mother and mentor. No really, it's no big deal.

You may see it as "let me save you from yourself" but many people, myself included are doing hard research and bringing to light as much as we can to try and wake the general public up before it's too late. Our country is on the verge of collapse, and if we don't stand up and do something, it will.

Just remember there were many Jews in Germany who believed "It won't get any worse" until they were loaded on rail cars.

Things have gone so far out of wack, anyone trying to put it back together looks like a conspiracy nutjob.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
We HAVE an extremist in the Whitehouse right now! Why more people don't see that is IMO simply because they are not paying attention.

MikeCT a few posts back said that the right has moved WAY right. I would disagree and say the country has moved way left.
Well, clearly someone has been getting their daily dose of Fox News.

Look, Republicans have gone off the deep end in the last few decades and that's a fact. Now they just cling to the same basic beliefs: Government is always too big, taxes are always too high, gun laws are always too tight, and there's nothing on earth that can't be improved by adding either Jesus or bacon.

Interestingly, regarding their stand on taxes, they would do well to recognize the fact that federal taxes are the lowest they've been since 1950. And this, plus two wars, a recession and massive de-regulation are the reasons we're in this economic quagmire. It's not because God is angry over the gay kissing on Glee.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
LOL You guys can't help it can you? I have not had Fox on in...gosh, at least a year. And even then it was just to check something out or maybe watch a Beck episode. Stick a needle in my eye...

Edit: I take that back, I DID watch Becks last broadcast out of curiosity. I guess that makes me a "Faux News" robot.

Quote:
Interestingly, regarding their stand on taxes, they would do well to recognize the fact that federal taxes are the lowest they've been since 1950. And this, plus two wars, a recession and massive de-regulation are the reasons we're in this economic quagmire. It's not because God is angry over the gay kissing on Glee.
And spending has been the highest, we borrowed to make up the gap which is disastrous!

Again, those "Tea Party nutjobs" in the debt debate simple pushed for a balanced budget. I can't for the life of me see how that can be a bad thing.

"You crazy assed extremists want the US to live with a balanced budget. How dare you". LOL

Look, here's the deal with me. Flat tax. Period. No one gets back more than they paid, no one gets away with evasion. (G.E. Hello?) We don't borrow to make up for what we overspend, and we balance the freaking budget.

Wow, what a radical concept.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
To this note, Social Security needs to be phased out. Let those that are still paying into the system opt out. Maybe by opting out, you don't get your money back that you've already invested - that could help pay for the hole it's in - but you also don't have to pay another cent to it out of your paycheck and can invest yourself if so choose.

At my stage of life (late 20's), I would be all over that.
I agree. But the oldsters vote. My parents don't NEED their social security. However, they did pay in to it, and they certainly DESERVE to get back what has been promised to them. I would be okay with making it needs based for anyone my age (37) and younger... I'd much rather invest the money on my own.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:45 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
Quote:

Look, Republicans have gone off the deep end in the last few decades and that's a fact. Now they just cling to the same basic beliefs: Government is always too big, taxes are always too high, gun laws are always too tight, and there's nothing on earth that can't be improved by adding either Jesus or bacon.

The actual reasons we are in this major recession stem from the economic impact of too much government regulation. We had a thing called the SEC that failed to live up to it's government induced laws. The government stepped in and created CRA and made Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac the largest institutions involved with mortgages. CRA was forced lending (bad lending) and we all know the story of FM & FM. All regulated and all became government playgrounds for corruption and theft. The Ponzi schemes you hear talked about all the time. Massive government spending that has not stimulated anything in the economy. The only positive out of all of this is that taxes are low right now which probably means we don't have a complete meltdown.

The Tea Party simply wants to get responsible elected officials into office that aren't out to line their own pockets with people's hard earned money. They also do not want to see folks get screwed out of their life savings or pay into fraud schemes such as Social Security which were raiding grounds for government thugs.

Regardless of how the MSM tries to paint the Tea Party movement, I don't think anyone could argue against electing these kinds of people as mentioned above. The people of CT and every other state would be wise to do so.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Quote:

And spending has been the highest, we borrowed to make up the gap which is disastrous!

Again, those "Tea Party nutjobs" in the debt debate simple pushed for a balanced budget. I can't for the life of me see how that can be a bad thing.

"You crazy assed extremists want the US to live with a balanced budget. How dare you". LOL

Look, here's the deal with me. Flat tax. Period. No one gets back more than they paid, no one gets away with evasion. (G.E. Hello?) We don't borrow to make up for what we overspend, and we balance the freaking budget.

Wow, what a radical concept.
What you speak of is not a radical concept. However, I have yet to hear of any of these teabaggers scream about GE and Skank of America not paying taxes. And thanks to their influence in the Republican party, it looks like they're getting their way. As part of the debt deal we sealed, oil companies continue to get tax subsidies, GE walks away scot free, and those slimy hedge fund managers who earn up to $900 million a year will continue to pay federal tax rates of 15 percent - that's right, 15 percent. Warren Buffet said it was appalling that's he's in the same tax bracket as his secretery who makes a mere $60,000 a year, but I'm guessing the teabaggers have been hush-hush on issues like these.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Again, we hear "racist" "angry" "extremist" pretty much all the left talking points attempting to discredit that movement.
Only because I didn't want my post to get even longer I do want to correct one thing I said that does relate to this part of your post. From what I know of the 2 brothers who went on the Michael Jackson rant, I don't think they were trying to be racist at all, they honestly would've had that same exact rant if MJ was white and doing the same "out of left field stuff" and I know them more than well enough to say that. The reason I pointed out that the friend with the post was black was because she thought from that standpoint they were being insensitive because she too knows they're not racist either and thought they wouldn't go on so much as it would mistakenly make them look so. They way I worded it may sound like I was trying to make it like they were being racist and I don't think they were, I was trying to say they were overly being "moral police".

On the other hand, the earlier comment in my example about a low/no minimum wage "helping minorities" (said by a different FB friend), well, that one goes without saying.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut