Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:56 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonfromseattle View Post
West Hartford is not terrible, but it is not special and it is absolutely not worth a commute just to be in WH. Suburban walking centers with national chains mixed with local upscale shops are becoming a dime a dozen all over the USA.

When my family comes and visits I will take them to Bushnell Park, Jamacian food, downtown nightlife, and a few other places out of town but WH is not great at all.
I see where you are coming from. West Hartford's downtown is a lot more substantial than those of a lot of towns in CT though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonfromseattle View Post
West Hartford is not terrible, but it is not special and it is absolutely not worth a commute just to be in WH. Suburban walking centers with national chains mixed with local upscale shops are becoming a dime a dozen all over the USA.

When my family comes and visits I will take them to Bushnell Park, Jamacian food, downtown nightlife, and a few other places out of town but WH is not great at all.
You must be referring to Blue Back Square. I'm not impressed with it either, but the adjoining area known as the center is way more independent. You bother to drive down Park Road or New Britian Ave? You may be surprised. It's not nearly as high-end because rents are way lower here - and IMO you get more bang for your buck here. No offense, but every time I encounter someone from the Seattle area here they're really snotty. Why is that? Is EVERYONE tuned up on Starbucks out there?

If you live in Hartford long enough the appeal of what you see at local bodegas will probably wane once you see the seedy elements it can draw - and THAT is becoming a dime a dozen everywhere in our cities. I see no appeal in being in a city where panhandlers constantly approach me, where if in a bar I'm constantly looking out the window to make sure nobody steals or vandalizes my car, where areas that only a few years ago used to be decent have declined. Most people see little appeal in living in an area like this and I can't say I blame 'em. And if you think I'm exaggerating or being cynical, it's because I've been here awhile and I've seen and heard about what goes on - it's in the papers and it's impossible to ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut