Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 AM

337 posts, read 1,023,583 times

Advertisements

I ask this because I drive through the Center every day, and I see a mind-boggling number of people running the red lights (with pedestrians nearby!!) and making left turns against oncoming traffic. Even though there are obviously traffic cameras, everyone still does it. Does WeHa actually use these cameras to issue tickets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 08:05 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
Does WeHa actually use these cameras to issue tickets?
No. The state killed this plan, thank God. The plan originally called for installing cameras in cities with populations above 60,000 people. When the cameras first went up here, they did it in a real surreptitious way, saying it was designed to monitor traffic back-ups and accidents, but I knew even then they were just biding their time inthe hopes that the state would approve them so they could start fining people. But this died in the house and I'm glad it did. I agree people running red lights is a major problem, but IMO cameras are not the solution to this. Other states have taken them down once it became obvious they had less to do with safety, and more to do with trying to extort more money from the public.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:41 AM

I'm actually in support of them because I feel that even if they might increase rear-endings at low speed, they decrease accidents causing significant injuries. I remember seeing some studies supporting this, but don't have time to look it up now. It really makes me angry that people are so selfish that they blatantly ignore traffic laws, particularly in such a pedestrian-dense area.

I figure if you get a big ticket for running a light in the Center, you're not likely to do it again. Some kind of individual review process or timing threshold might be available for people who get caught just as a yellow turns red.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:57 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
It really makes me angry that people are so selfish that they blatantly ignore traffic laws, particularly in such a pedestrian-dense area.

I figure if you get a big ticket for running a light in the Center, you're not likely to do it again. Some kind of individual review process or timing threshold might be available for people who get caught just as a yellow turns red.
You'll get no argument from me there about people rolling thru red lights. I agree 100%. But IMO the red light cameras are becoming popular not because they're a deterrent - it's because municipalities are looking for new ways to draw revenue. Another option to deter speeding and/or running red lights would be to install speed bumps, but they won't consider this since there's no money to be made from doing this.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
You'll get no argument from me there about people rolling thru red lights. I agree 100%. But IMO the red light cameras are becoming popular not because they're a deterrent - it's because municipalities are looking for new ways to draw revenue. Another option to deter speeding and/or running red lights would be to install speed bumps, but they won't consider this since there's no money to be made from doing this.
Maybe a pop-up speed "wall" would stop people from running red lights The Center already has speed bumps from its raised pedestrian crossings, which limit speed but don't stop people from running lights or making illegal left turns. I mean, I'm sure the extra revenues are good for the city, but I think they still help with safety.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
The speed bump idea also wouldn't work because the light changes would need to be lengthened to account for the slower moving cars; there would be outrage at that idea from people who frequent the streets with longer lights and who don't want to wait. There are 2 lights in Stamford I sit at everyday that only allow for 2-3 cars to go through when 5-6 cars are typically waiting. It won't change. It's the issue of bad timing that causes all of these people to run through red; if you didn't have to sit at a light for 10 minutes everyday because cars don't have enough time to move, this would happen a lot less frequently.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:26 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
The cameras you see at the intersections in West Hartford are NOT for catching people runing red lights. They are actually detectors used give the approaches the green light for the correct amount of time they need to clear traffic at the intersection. They replace detectors installed in the pavement. This is the latest technology and few towns are using it right now. I think New Haven and Stamford have them too but ConnDOT is just now starting to accept them. The problem is they are more expensive for upfront costs but when a town wants to repave a street, they do not need to pay for new detectors under the pavement. Jay

Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
An above poster said CT killed that plan. So if I see those cameras does it mean they relaly are NOT cameras? I don't run red lights, I'm not asking for that reason. I'm asking for the same reason OP did. I see people run lights all the time and wondered if those cameras issued tickets.

I always wondered.........

Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
They are cameras but they are not for issuing tickets. They are for monitoring traffic approaching the intersection and adjusting the signal timing to accomodate traffic conditions. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut