Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:05 PM

87 posts, read 697,591 times

Advertisements

I'd rather deal with an anti-social Californian, than some rude-obnoxious loud mouth New Yorker or North Easterner screaming moderator cut YOU in traffic. East Coast people are some of the rudest fat mouthed people to walk the planet in the country. Talk about rude. North Easterners are known for their horrific nasty attitudes. Californians are 10 times more laid back. Don't even compare the both. That is just Ignorant.

Yes Californians smile at you as they stab you in the back. Come on, be real. There are loud mouths everywhere, even California. Jay

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-22-2007 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: profanity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 09:21 PM

572 posts, read 2,081,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal78 View Post
I'd rather deal with an anti-social Californian, than some rude-obnoxious loud mouth New Yorker or North Easterner screaming F*CK YOU in traffic. East Coast people are some of the rudest fat mouthed people to walk the planet in the country. Talk about rude. North Easterners are known for their horrific nasty attitudes. Californians are 10 times more laid back. Don't even compare the both. That is just Ignorant.
What an intelligent post!

Actually on this thread, we were discussing the opinion that people in CT seemed to be anti-social and reserved - which I disagree with.

I'm sorry that you seem to be mistakenly grouping the Brooklyn, NY stereotype with Connecticut and the rest of the Northeast, as well as the remainder of the eastern seaboard. Last I checked, never once were those from GA, SC, NC and VA stereotyped as 'fat-mouthed.'

Old 08-21-2007, 10:33 PM

572 posts, read 2,081,941 times
Quote:
Read more clearly you dilbert. NORTH EASTERNERS <----- did you miss that? I never said anything about the southern states. CT shouldn't even be considered a state. It is too small to begin with. Every major city in California is bigger than the entire state of CT. Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Orange County, Fresno....WOW! That's 6 major cities that would equal to be 6 times bigger than your bird turd spot on a map you call a state.
Quote:
East Coast people are some of the rudest fat mouthed people to walk the planet in the country.
There ya go

Old 08-22-2007, 05:17 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,960,218 times
Keep discussion civil

Final warning

Skytrekker

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-22-2007 at 05:34 AM..

Old 08-22-2007, 06:22 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,634,887 times
One set of people does not have to be bad for another to be good folks. I have good friends who are from California and are among the nicest people I know. I head back up to New England to visit my family and everyone is so nice there. I think back at my time working in CT and how wonderful and friendly everyone was there and it is far more friendly than the South however, the South has the reputation of being more friendly.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:58 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,311,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Winter in CT is not harsh. But it is long, gray, and damp.

Summer is humid, and often damp.

Fall is usually fine. When it's not damp.

Spring (in the sense people think of it) is very brief. And damp.
Headwest,

Again, just to keep the climate myths in check –

You say damp, this is the humid side of the mainland – what would you expect Arizona style drought? That’s like moving from Madrid to Shanghai, China and saying its always raining in East China (lol). That’s the reason East Asia and the Eastern United States is so green and fertile. Los Angeles receives 18-inches of rain a year – Atlantic City or New Haven receives 45-inches a year. Why do you think the mountains in California look like little brown dirty hills, while in Connecticut or Virginia you can’t even see the ground when you look up a the side of a mountain. HIGH RAINFALL.

As far always gray in winter - ah, another great climatic myth. When you exclude the subtropical parts of the USA (Florida, South Carolina, Arizona, Southern California…etc.) - winters in the Tri-State are actually are MORE SUNNY than many areas of the USA – including the Pacific Northwest all the way down to just north of San Francisco, the Great Lakes, and New England. Of course Connecticut has less winter sun than LA – 75 % of the USA will in winter. Overcast in winter in Connecticut or NYC – go 800 miles north and spend a January in London or Paris (or Vancover, Seattle, or Portland), and CT will seem like Phoenix in winter!

This is just a short list I had to compile for a company a few years back.

WINTER SUN (D/J/F /) %percent possible

Key West, FL 78%

Yuma, AZ 77%

Los Angeles, CA 71%

Miami, FL 69%

San Fran, CA -62 %

Charleston, SC 60%

Norfolk, VA – 56%

New York/New Haven, CT - 54%

Atlanta, GA - 54%

Raleigh, NC – 53%

Burlington, VT 46%

Cleveland, OH 43%

Detriot, MI 44%

Spoke, WA 43%

Portland, OR 39%

Seattle - 35%

As far as damp in summer – If you have ever lived in California you would know what the “June Gloom†is – that’s a damp summer. I’ll take Connecticut’s 88 F and summer thunderstorms over Santa Monica’s 64 F and damp showers any day.

Climates that have lush green vegetation, with no rainfall, that is hot in summer, but warm in winter, with the perfect mix of 75% year round sun, cloudy and rainy at night, no humidity, but that is well watered, but no severe storms….. only exist in heaven (lol).

Old 08-22-2007, 08:18 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,960,218 times
Western sides of continents have a Mediterranean climate from about latitude 30-40 north or south of the equator.

Rainfall is strictly seasonal (dry summer- cool winter with some rain) Rainfall decreases from north to south. Mediterranean Europe extends further north to about 44 north however.

From about 40 degree and further north or south of the equator- the Oceanic Temperate climate kicks in- with dry summers- but cloudy winters with rain and drizzle.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:52 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,062,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Headwest,
You say damp, this is the humid side of the mainland – what would you expect Arizona style drought?

When you exclude the subtropical parts of the USA (Florida, South Carolina, Arizona, Southern California…etc.) - winters in the Tri-State are actually are MORE SUNNY than many areas of the USA – including the Pacific Northwest all the way down to just north of San Francisco, the Great Lakes, and New England.
I was trying to bring the "CT climate is paradise" tone a little closer to reality. I don't expect a dry climate on the east cost.

As a motorcycle rider, weather falls into two categories: days that are nice riding, and days that suck. Too many of the latter here.

As far as gloomy winters go, you are absolutely correct. The places you list are even more depressing than CT in the winter.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:53 PM

34,634 posts, read 56,369,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I am a native Californian and love the East Coast. I find it ironic though that when I went on the NJ and Conn boards to find out about relocating all I found was people from both states wanting to leave.
Are we reading the same Boards??? I do not see this at all here on the CT Boards and I read every post. I believe there are only a few who have posted here their dissatisfaction and desire to move elsewhere. If you really want to see dissatisfied, go to the Florida or California boards.

In reviewing all of the Boards it seems that there is a lot of "the grass is always greener on the other side". Floridians are looking to North Carolina, Californians are looking everywhere. Washingtonians are looking south. It is just people's nature to think things are better somewhere else. Jay

Old 08-23-2007, 03:29 AM

16 posts, read 73,610 times
As a Californian I can honestly say that most of what you say is true however, the problem is not with the Californians, it comes from all the transplants, there are very few Californians here. I don't understand people who want to lump an entire state together. Perhaps it depends on where you are and who you're with. I would love to have a home in Ct, but I will first read and visit to make sure I go to the right area for me. I will keep my home in Ca, don't think I could take Ct summers yet.
WJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut