Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
How do you know that? What is the basis of your assertion? Can you verify that the power company has an appropriate number of repair crews and is directing them to make repairs as efficiently as possible?
Can you verify that they don't? Listen, there are crews as far away as Vancouver here to help. They're working on it. New York and New Jersey are experiencing the same issues that we are.

Quote:
Look, I didn't do more than express irritation. Yes, it's an inconvenience. People get irritated when they're inconvenienced. If you're not irritated, then I will nominate you for canonization, because you're a calmer man than I.
I understand it sucks. It does. I don't like going to bed every night with no AC, waking up getting ready by candlelight, and hearing my neighbor's loud generator purring at 4am when I'm trying to sleep. But these are all things that were well known before the hurricane hit. Heck, I was watching FoxNews from the cruise ship and they said "prepare for weeks without power". When I told DW that, her eyes widened and mouth dropped. That's when we called our neighbor (at 8 bucks a minute!!!) and asked him to pick up extra supplies for us. So it sucks all around. Just take it in stride. You're not the only one dealing with it.

Looking at the bright side, your electric bill will be less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 PM

468 posts, read 523,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Looking at the bright side, your electric bill will be less.
No, it won't . They'll jack our rates up to pay for their repair costs.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:16 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
No, it won't . They'll jack our rates up to pay for their repair costs.
Hmm, then think of it as an excuse to play board games with the family.

What town are you in?

Old 09-01-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Hmm, then think of it as an excuse to play board games with the family.

What town are you in?
I've got better ways to pass the time than board games....

I'm near UConn... which of course has full power.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:23 PM

220 posts, read 525,133 times
Quote:
I'm near UConn... which of course has full power.
Probably has generators, right? Yale never lost power during the storm even though surrounding neighborhoods did, and I just assumed it was for that reason.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:26 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
If this is any consolation, I work with someone who was told she'd have power back by this Saturday, but she got it back on Tuesday night.
Yep. And that was precisely the point I was trying to make with Blakesq. Giving solid dates is really like hitting a moving target for them.

For instance: They may get to a job, and find a tree is still on the primary. Okay, now they have to get the tree cutting crew out to remove the tree before the repair. So they, move on to another job and have to wait for the tree guys to get there. The tree guys may even get delayed.

Now the the trees are removed, the line team goes back for the repair and finds additional damage to a pole not anticipated so now they make the repair, but have to wait for the outside plant guys to replace the pole before energizing the circuit etc etc

Multiply that by 3000 and you can see how much of a logistical nightmare it is to predict a time and date. They don't just "throw a switch".

Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Just for being sh*tty, I'll leave you with a picture of what I was doing on Sunday night.
Dayum, look at those muscly arms...! You can cook for me anytime fella...

I've watched the requisite number of Man vs Wild episodes to know what to do. We wont get ours back until the 6th as well, however, when i built my house, I prewired the place with a Gen-Tran box which I power with a 7k watt generator from the comfort of my garage. All comfy,cosy and livin large.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inetlom View Post
Probably has generators, right? Yale never lost power during the storm even though surrounding neighborhoods did, and I just assumed it was for that reason.
UConn has a co-gen plant, so they didn't go down during the storm. However, they've had multiple CLP crews working in the immediate area around campus.

That's one of the things I question. I understand JViello's point about trying to maximize the number of customers they get back on line as quickly as possible, but it seems to me that an additional factor is travel time. If crews have to travel to an area multiple times to effect multiple repairs, that could be less efficient in the long run. I don't know.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Who's being sh*tty? You're the one who feels that you have to trumpet your lack of compassion as obnoxiously as possible. That's sh*tty in my book, but I suspect we disagree.
You're suspect is correct. Look, all I'm saying is you b*tching about the power company is pretty obnoxious in itself. If you can't live without power, do something about it instead of complain.

Quote:
BTW, I'm staying with a lady friend of my acquaintance.... want a picture of what I was doing on Sunday night ?
No thanks, I'll pass. ETA, at least I had air conditioning while we... LOL

Quote:
Oh, and finally, has anyone told you that you look a lot like Dannel Malloy?
More Jeff Fox I think, but Dannel's a good looking guy, I'll take that.

Last edited by JViello; 09-01-2011 at 12:46 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
When I told DW that, her eyes widened and mouth dropped. That's when we called our neighbor (at 8 bucks a minute!!!)
My eye's widened and mouth dropped more at the $8 a minute! ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Dayum, look at those muscly arms...! You can cook for me anytime fella...
LOL Didn't even notice till you said something. Some guys go to the office, some guys go to work. Or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I've watched the requisite number of Man vs Wild episodes to know what to do. We wont get ours back until the 6th as well, however, when i built my house, I prewired the place with a Gen-Tran box which I power with a 7k watt generator from the comfort of my garage. All comfy,cosy and livin large.
Amen brother. Just don't go drinking your own p*ss...Bear gets paid good money to do that. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut