Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:19 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Here is a sneak peak:

Quick: NW or NE CT?

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v103/38/86/3419822/n3419822_34808268_1597.jpg (broken link)

If you honestly can't answer, you proved my point.
This one is ME CT.... Meaning...I want this. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
NE CT certainly has its scenic towns, but I agree with the previous poster that NE CT can't hold a candle to the beauty of NW CT.
"hold a candle" is the issue I have. Northeast CT has plenty of beautiful places and is hardly a "cast off" compared to the Northwest. I ignorantly used to think the same way until I moved here almost 10 years ago.

Then I found the still operating dairy farms in Bolton and Coventry, Sharpe Hill Vinyard, Vanilla Bean, and prep school in beautiful Pomfret, the rolling hills and farms in Woodstock, the crystal clear lakes such as Bigelow Hollow , the town green in Lebanon, the Bison farm in Brooklyn...heck, Brooklyn. The antique shops in Putnam, the views from Shenipsit state forest, the covered bridge and ravine along Salmon Brook state part etc etc.

My point is, saying it doesn't hold a candle is just wrong. It's different, more traditional New England but it definetly has it's own beauty and charm. It's not some cast off at the Eastern end of the state. Most people I know who say that are generally from the West or Southwest and have not really experienced the area and I say that knowing that NW CT is one of my favorite places and where I grew up bombing around the backroads. Like I said, I used to think the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
I think most folks have been spot on in is thread though I am pretty ignorant to both regions unfortunately. Ive been both a fair amount of times, western for day trips and eastern cause I was "active"with a gal from ECSU. I agree that NE is more new englandy which regrettably I used to think of as "white trashy" for some idiotic reason, I suppose it was because the first place I went to there was willimantic.
Yep, me too.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
However, I especially agree with the comment made about how the NW seems more kept up as far as landscaping, house maintenance, etc..
It really depends on where you go. I can take you around places in NW CT that are not very well kept so to speak. Places in Morris, Bantam, Goshen, Barkhamsted, Winchester Colebrook, Harwinton, Plymouth etc. That's not getting into the cities such as Torrington, Thomaston, Winsted.

What everyone seems to be focusing on here as the NW is basically the small pocket between RT7 and RT63 East/West and RT202/128 to the North South.

On the flipside, there is more to the NE than Chaplin - arguably the white trash capital of CT.

Take the impeccable Lebanon town green and center, or Columbia lake region or Pomfret and Woodstock, Brooklyn center etc.

Again, I'm not saying the NW is no good, just that they are not worlds apart as many in the state think. That's been my experience anyway.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:06 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,155 times
Quote:
It really depends on where you go. I can take you around places in NW CT that are not very well kept so to speak. Places in Morris, Bantam, Goshen, Barkhamsted, Winchester Colebrook, Harwinton, Plymouth etc. That's not getting into the cities such as Torrington, Thomaston, Winsted.
To me, those places you listed are some of the most scenic places in the state. Route 254 from Thomaston into Litchfield is breathtaking. The Army Corps dams and the state parks in the area are magnificent too.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
To me, those places you listed are some of the most scenic places in the state. Route 254 from Thomaston into Litchfield is breathtaking. The Army Corps dams and the state parks in the area are magnificent too.
Agreed, on 254. It's a hidden gem of a ride. (The windmill, farm, views etc) but you'll find "not so nice homes and property" all over Thomaston. You'll get the same in Eastern CT. You might go by some modest properties but then find a gem of a road to hit like 254.

Honestly, has anyone poo pooing the NE ever been down South Street in Coventry through the Nathan Hale forest? Gorgeous two lane country road winding up and down through farms etc. At the intersection of Wright's mill road you have an old grist mill turned into a residence and doctors office with water wheels, aquaducts, waterfalls etc Just absolutely beautiful. How about Pomfret center?

That's just one example that I would have never known about until I moved here and started exploring.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:02 AM

468 posts, read 523,790 times
Quote:
Agreed, on 254. It's a hidden gem of a ride. (The windmill, farm, views etc) but you'll find "not so nice homes and property" all over Thomaston. You'll get the same in Eastern CT. You might go by some modest properties but then find a gem of a road to hit like 254.

Honestly, has anyone poo pooing the NE ever been down South Street in Coventry through the Nathan Hale forest? Gorgeous two lane country road winding up and down through farms etc. At the intersection of Wright's mill road you have an old grist mill turned into a residence and doctors office with water wheels, aquaducts, waterfalls etc Just absolutely beautiful. How about Pomfret center?

That's just one example that I would have never known about until I moved here and started exploring.
I may disagree with you on a lot of things, but you are spot on about the beauty of NE CT, and South Street in Coventry in particular. I love to drive on that road.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 AM

203 posts, read 496,277 times
I miss northeastern CT. We left for Charlotte, NC (twice) because, even living in the more affordable part of the state, the cost of living was tough. (Utilities, gas, heating your home for the long winter.)

But, with house and land prices coming down quite a bit (a house we sold is $90K less than when we sold it a few years back) it's affordable. The lower housing prices might make the higher costs, overall, a bit easier to swallow.

Woodstock, Pomfret, Brooklyn, CT are nice places to live and raise a family. Decent schools.

Killingly, Putnam, Plainfield (mixed bag) have some issues.

The Quite Corner is not rocking and rolling with things to do IF you consider things to do being commercial establishments. But, if you respect the beauty of nature, down-to-earth people (far less Joneses than other parts of CT or the country) then NE CT could very well work for you.

Living rural AND being within 1/2 hour of Providence and a couple of other okay cities and 1 hour from the beaches ain't a bad thing.

Greg

Old 09-14-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory P View Post
I miss northeastern CT. We left for Charlotte, NC (twice) because, even living in the more affordable part of the state, the cost of living was tough. (Utilities, gas, heating your home for the long winter.)

But, with house and land prices coming down quite a bit (a house we sold is $90K less than when we sold it a few years back) it's affordable. The lower housing prices might make the higher costs, overall, a bit easier to swallow.

Woodstock, Pomfret, Brooklyn, CT are nice places to live and raise a family. Decent schools.

Killingly, Putnam, Plainfield (mixed bag) have some issues.

The Quite Corner is not rocking and rolling with things to do IF you consider things to do being commercial establishments. But, if you respect the beauty of nature, down-to-earth people (far less Joneses than other parts of CT or the country) then NE CT could very well work for you.

Living rural AND being within 1/2 hour of Providence and a couple of other okay cities and 1 hour from the beaches ain't a bad thing.

Greg
I agree with your points. I was amazed at how rural the quiet corner is, while being so close to so many things. I joke that it's in the middle of nowhere but close to everywhere.

And I love being an hour from the beach!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
I agree with your points. I was amazed at how rural the quiet corner is, while being so close to so many things. I joke that it's in the middle of nowhere but close to everywhere.

And I love being an hour from the beach!
x2. I remember heading into Lebanon for the first time and thinking "wow, this is really well kept and nice." And then getting into the country a bit more an thinking "Hey! A REAL working farm, not some 10 acre plot purchased by a retired hedge fund manager selling Chinese made chotchkies and calling it 'Green Meadow Farms' or whatever." lol

Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
x2. I remember heading into Lebanon for the first time and thinking "wow, this is really well kept and nice." And then getting into the country a bit more an thinking "Hey! A REAL working farm, not some 10 acre plot purchased by a retired hedge fund manager selling Chinese made chotchkies and calling it 'Green Meadow Farms' or whatever." lol
REAL rural landscapes are not always "beautiful" in the conventional sense. A working farm can smell pretty bad sometimes, and a gravel pit can look downright ugly... but there's a genuineness to it all that appeals to me.

You know those Tractor Supply commercials? "Out here, we....", well NE CT is as "out here" as you're going to get on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut