Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times

Advertisements

I was at work in Rocky Hill until we were all called to the conference room where there was a TV. Many who had family in NY and NJ started to leave work to check where that brother, cousin or uncle was. We were let go to allow us to pick up kids from school or daycare.

Joseph Lenihan was the uncle of my son's best friend.

Edward Vanacore was a classmate of a co-worker, I believe out of North Haven.

My manager and I participated in creating the 3000+ block quilt on exhibit in NYC...I picked the name of a lady named Deepa Pakkala, who worked at Marsh & McClennan and lived in NJ. She left behind a 2-yr old daughter. My manager made a quilt block in honor of Edward Vanacore. We heard he was into music and motorcycles.

I went into a depression for two weeks after seeing kids on TV pleading for their dad, showing photos to viewers.

Then there were many fundraisers after that, most notably firefighters in West Hartford, asking for donations using their boots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Then there were many fundraisers after that, most notably firefighters in West Hartford, asking for donations using their boots.
I specifically remember the tele-thon they did on TV to raise money. Many celebrities took part - I think it was a few weeks after the 11th.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I specifically remember the tele-thon they did on TV to raise money. Many celebrities took part - I think it was a few weeks after the 11th.
I remember that telethon as well. Using boots as a collection tool helped soften the blow on kids. They loved dropping bills and coins in those boots, and many times called our attention to "Look, Mom, more boots!". I also remembered that the most popular costume on Halloween that year was those of firemen and policemen.

I also remembered being very upset with a very good friend who worked in NY and lived in NJ. When I finally got hold of her, she was glad she got to stay home to play tennis! I don't think I spoke to her in 6 months after that...I was furious at her! There I was practically wetting my pants from worry over friends in NY and there she was playing tennis! She was an airhead then and to this day, but c'mon!!! I did nothing but cry in my basement those two weeks, lost weight from not eating. I also spoke with the husband of the woman in whose honor I made the quilt block. He asked me how I knew that she was into gardening, because I made a quilt block of 3 tulips in a vase. Things happen in very mysterious ways sometimes...

Old 09-09-2011, 12:36 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I remember that telethon as well. Using boots as a collection tool helped soften the blow on kids. They loved dropping bills and coins in those boots, and many times called our attention to "Look, Mom, more boots!". I also remembered that the most popular costume on Halloween that year was those of firemen and policemen.

I also remembered being very upset with a very good friend who worked in NY and lived in NJ. When I finally got hold of her, she was glad she got to stay home to play tennis! I don't think I spoke to her in 6 months after that...I was furious at her! There I was practically wetting my pants from worry over friends in NY and there she was playing tennis! She was an airhead then and to this day, but c'mon!!! I did nothing but cry in my basement those two weeks, lost weight from not eating. I also spoke with the husband of the woman in whose honor I made the quilt block. He asked me how I knew that she was into gardening, because I made a quilt block of 3 tulips in a vase. Things happen in very mysterious ways sometimes...
This sounds somewhat extreme. Did you contact a therapist or try getting medical help?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:47 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
It is extremely unfortunate that 9/11 occurred and cost thousansd of lives. I hope it never happens again, and let's not forget that one of the biggest driving forces that led to this event is RELIGION!

I don't plan to attend mass or any similar services because I don't believe in gods, devils, angels, demons, heaven, hell or Santa Claus.

Exodus 35:2 says that you shall be put to death if you don't go to sabbath every seventh day of the week. Yet in modern day society, we have millions of people working on Sundays, not going to church at all. And we have millions of people having pre-marital sex, yet they are against gay marriage, abortion, and a host of other things. Modern day American society is laughable when it comes to religion. Most haven't even read the Bible, and most don't even follow 10% of what the Bible teaches. What people have done, is transformed a historically violent, harsh religion into a "peaceful" practice. But that's really not what it was meant to be!

Mark 10:25 states that a rich man will not make it into heaven. The Bible also states that you must sell everything in order to make it into heaven. I guess all those people in Fairfield County are certainly destined for hell. It's in the Bible, period. It's either true or it's false.

There is a crucifix/cross structure that was built on the WTC site. But the WTC site is not a Christian only site. In fact, there is a lawsuit going on now to see that the crucifix be removed from the site. The WTC Cross: Why The Lawsuit Needed To Be Filed « No God Blog (http://atheists.org/blog/2011/09/09/the-wtc-cross-why-the-lawsuit-needed-to-be-filed - broken link)

Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This sounds somewhat extreme. Did you contact a therapist or try getting medical help?
I was wondering the same thing.

bibit- If you did, you wouldn't be alone. A lot of Americans, especially those in the NYC metro, sought therapy after the attacks.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:50 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It is extremely unfortunate that 9/11 occurred and cost thousansd of lives. I hope it never happens again, and let's not forget that one of the biggest driving forces that led to this event is RELIGION!

I don't plan to attend mass or any similar services because I don't believe in gods, devils, angels, demons, heaven, hell or Santa Claus.

Exodus 35:2 says that you shall be put to death if you don't go to sabbath every seventh day of the week. Yet in modern day society, we have millions of people working on Sundays, not going to church at all. Modern day American society is laughable when it comes to religion. Most haven't even read the Bible, and most don't even follow 10% of what the Bible teaches. What people have done, is transformed a historically violent, harsh religion into a "peaceful" practice. But that's really not what it was meant to be!

Mark 10:25 states that a rich man will not make it into heaven. The Bible also states that you must sell everything in order to make it into heaven. I guess all those people in Fairfield County are certainly destined for hell. It's in the Bible, period. It's either true or it's false.

There is a crucifix/cross structure that was built on the WTC site. But the WTC site is not a Christian only site. In fact, there is a lawsuit going on now to see that the crucifix be removed from the site. The WTC Cross: Why The Lawsuit Needed To Be Filed « No God Blog (http://atheists.org/blog/2011/09/09/the-wtc-cross-why-the-lawsuit-needed-to-be-filed - broken link)
Your understanding of scripture is quite stunted. Yet it's somewhat unfortunate this thread sees anti-God diatribe

Old 09-09-2011, 12:54 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Was in my office (Owned a dotcom tech firm) and heard the news about the first plane and thought "that's odd".

My #1 Steve came in to the office and said "a second hit". I knew it wasn't an accident then. I called everyone and said "stay home". Steve and I went over to my house close by and put on the TV.

I then got a text by a good friend who worked across from the WTC is basically said "We are under attack, pray for us". My gut sank.

He then texted me (I was the only one he could get ahold of for some reason) Please call "Candi [his wife] and tell her I love her".

I made the call, and she didn't hear anything about the attacks and thought it was a radio prank. I finally had to say "CANDI, THIS IS JAY...TURN ON THE TV OR RADIO". She responded with "OMG...Is Chris okay?" So I spent the morning relaying messages to her from Chris and being on the phone with a step-brother who lived in Midtown.

I was on the phone with my bro when the first tower came down. I literally went from standing...to my knees...to my forehead on the floor.

I later just broke into tears when they scrolled the victims names and age across the screen and I saw children on the planes. Now being a dad, it still bring a tear to my eye.

The one thing I'll never forget, was seeing our President - love him or hate him, start to choke up on TV when talking about the children and families who were victims and fight it back.

9/13/01 News Coverage: Emotional Moment for George Bush - YouTube
JViello - Was your good friend safe? Jay

Old 09-09-2011, 12:55 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Your understanding of scripture is quite stunted. Yet it's somewhat unfortunate this thread sees anti-God diatribe
How is my understanding of scripture stunted? It is clearly written in the Bible for anyone who reads it. It's either true, or it's false. You can't pick and choose which verses to believe or disbelieve in. And don't tell me that the Bible was meant to be metaphoric. Do you really think an all-powerful god would expect billions of people of varying degrees of intelligence to thoroughly understand this monstrosity of a book in a metaphorical manner? A truly believable book of religion would leave us with undeniable, unanimous agreement that the god exists. His existence would be undeniable and undebatable. But no. Instead we have this collection of 66 books written by primitive men, with thousands of verses that are interpreted differently by different people to this day.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I eventually got over it...no, I didn't go to a therapist. The image of the little girl crying out to God, showing the photo of her dad who worked at Cantor Fitzgerald and asking for God to bring her Dad home was too much for me. I basically reacted the same way with the Oklahoma City bombing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut