U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 02:02 AM

51 posts, read 267,597 times
Default Racism in Greenwich, ct?

Hello, I am thinking about building an estate and I was considering residing Greenwich. I've recently been turned off due to talks of racism againt blacks and jews in the "old money" enclave. I need to live in a place where I can be myself and live my life without people ruining my day with nasty comments or black listing from "elite" country clubs and etc... Does Greenwich really have as many issues with racism? Are there any sites in specific where I can find out more about the towns culture?

Old 08-18-2007, 04:18 AM

822 posts, read 1,004,153 times
Want to talk about moderator cut racism? Didn't think so. Moderator cut bring down property values, it's a fact

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-18-2007 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: inflammatory remarks

Old 08-18-2007, 04:18 AM

4,455 posts, read 2,155,535 times
Former red sox pitcher Pedro Martinez lives in Greenwich- he is a Latino of color
Jews are certainly visible as well from Wall street, banking and entertainment-
so its rather hard to fathom racism as a big problem- there might be prejudice on the size of your bank account or assets. especially in Greenwich- if you can build an estate- I hardly think they would treat you badly because of your color- what counts is $$$

To be sure there are old WASP clicks and country clubs-Sadly racism and antisemitism exist everywhere- so to pick Greenwich out alone would be unfair.

In the end the money and prestige will do the talking.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-18-2007 at 05:47 AM..

Old 08-18-2007, 06:52 AM

14,049 posts, read 21,781,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Former red sox pitcher Pedro Martinez lives in Greenwich- he is a Latino of color
Jews are certainly visible as well from Wall street, banking and entertainment-
so its rather hard to fathom racism as a big problem- there might be prejudice on the size of your bank account or assets. especially in Greenwich- if you can build an estate- I hardly think they would treat you badly because of your color- what counts is $$$

To be sure there are old WASP clicks and country clubs-Sadly racism and antisemitism exist everywhere- so to pick Greenwich out alone would be unfair.

In the end the money and prestige will do the talking.
Skytrekker is correct. Greenwich is a large (over 62,000 people), wealthy diverse community. There are people of all cultures and religions. As long as you don't step on anyone's toes or are loudly flanting something that some would find offensive, I would not worry about it. I will also point out that I would not expect to be welcomed into the finest country clubs either just because you moved ot town. Like anywhere it will take time and effort to get to know people and become part of the community. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-18-2007, 07:37 AM

73 posts, read 275,797 times
Look, Walter Williams once said that he rejects this whole idea of organized racism. He said.."Do you honestly believe white people get up each morning thinking, how am I going to harm the back man? Or vice versa"? Of course not. We get up each morning, plan our days, struggle to make a decent life for our families, and deal with a--holes as they come before us. But a "racist" town with racist" attitudes is so 1950's. These forums have devolved from "snooty" to "racist" What crap. I'm so tired of seeing these "edgy" questions from people just looking to stir up emotions.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:31 AM

And jumper....i'm not trying to stir up bad emotions. Racism is not "1950's" because it still exists today...

Old 08-18-2007, 09:16 AM

73 posts, read 275,797 times
Horse spit! It's all in the eye of the beholder...no one I know has any time for that kind of crap... You treat me well. I treat you well.Case closed..when you start looking for fly sh-- in pepper, you have a real problem..

Old 08-18-2007, 09:46 AM

17 posts, read 39,052 times
Racism happens the other way around too. I was recently in a mcdonalds on what use to be a really nice street in new orleans and me and my boyfriend and like 1 other guy were the other white people in there. We were standing in line when this girl OBVIOUSLY cut in front of me then turned around and stared me down FOR NO REASON! She wanted me to say something so she could have a reason to pick a fight with me. I have NEVER been in a place that was prodominately white and seen a white person treat a minority like that. So no matter where you go or what color you are, you are still going to experience racism.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:20 PM

I remember going to an upper class old money restaurant and being glared at by some fellow diners (white, i'm black). It was very uncomfortable, and makes me never want to dine there again. One woman, after I looked at her back, said to her husband "did you see that, he just looked right at me". She was starring at me hard and in a disgusted way almost the entire time while I was dining. She tarnished my experience...

Old 08-18-2007, 01:27 PM

4,455 posts, read 2,155,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGuy987 View Post
I remember going to an upper class old money restaurant and being glared at by some fellow diners (white, i'm black). It was very uncomfortable, and makes me never want to dine there again. One woman, after I looked at her back, said to her husband "did you see that, he just looked right at me". She was starring at me hard and in a disgusted way almost the entire time while I was dining. She tarnished my experience...
Where was this? In Greenwich?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut