Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 01:07 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times

Advertisements

Common sense died a long time ago, but I'm not sure this is the best example I can think of of its death. This whole thing sounds like a tempest in a teapot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 01:09 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,061 times
It's only a nightmare when the district, school overstep their authority. For the record I had a teaching license. But had more financial rewards in the Corp world.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:23 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
I can understand the need to use the legal name on official school documents, that's fully understandable. But a child should be allowed to use their nickname in class, as already pointed out that's very common. My own daughter used a nickname all through school, and never had to write her full name. On school records/report cards her full name was used, just not in class.

I do not see this as a state education issue, but a local issue.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:51 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
This whole thing sounds like a tempest in a teapot.
Ha! I haven't heard that great term in a long time.

As for the thread, I can see both sides. A parent's wishes being completely ignored over an issue that really isn't academic. I can see if the parent said "I don't want my kids to learn about X" but being told what your child will be called is a bit much IMO.

For instance, I have family with very Italian names as they were born in the old country. How would "Pat" or "Patsy" feel having all of a sudden to be called Pasquale. A bit strange. What about some Asian kids such as Yeang who's parents call him Ken in the states but still want him to have a proper Asian given name.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Ha! I haven't heard that great term in a long time.

As for the thread, I can see both sides. A parent's wishes being completely ignored over an issue that really isn't academic. I can see if the parent said "I don't want my kids to learn about X" but being told what your child will be called is a bit much IMO.

For instance, I have family with very Italian names as they were born in the old country. How would "Pat" or "Patsy" feel having all of a sudden to be called Pasquale. A bit strange. What about some Asian kids such as Yeang who's parents call him Ken in the states but still want him to have a proper Asian given name.
Thank you 

Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Jay - She does not need to go by it in school. She does not need to go by it anywhere except her drivers license, social security card, and marriage license, or when she buys a home or car. All adult things, NOT things for a 5 year old.

And in case you missed it, I've taught her her legal given name, taught her to write it, taught her to spell it, taught her to type it, taught her to sing it, and INSTRUCTED HER NOT TO USE IT at school. I did my job as a parent. It is NOT the school districts job to NAME or parent my child, or tell me what is more proper for my child. Call her what I tell you to call her and teach her the ABCs & 123s.
I am sorry for your lose and that you have to deal with this alone. Children have to learn certain things and one of them is how to deal with things we do not like or want. This falls into that category. As a parent you need to help her cope with the situation not try and change it. Since this is creating a difficult situation for the child, you may want to talk to the school Pyschologist and get their opinion on the situation. Jay

Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 PM

Thank you for your condolences & Again - they were finally perfectly happy to let it go as long as I re-register her as LUCY, which I did on Friday... Which is why I have a letter in to the superintendent . If that was all it took they should tell parents up front - please fudge your forms - or fill them out right and we'll be pricks, the form in the office is driving their madness- loss of common sense .

I've worn many hats in many different careers over my 30 yrs of working experience, and met many people in different learning institutions while pursuing my MBA degree. Never- except on adult legal forms was "given name" required. She does know it but it should not be required daily at kindergarten. She certainly and any PASQUALE, CHIENSUI, ANNASTACIA, AUSMA, whatever the name should not be forced in kindergarten. Some rules are stupid , all the more so when not evenly enforced, upper elementary kids are not subjected to this.

My first email should be legal indemnification if their responsibility to teach her her given name. And I will add, it is an overstep of their charge.

Look I didn't pitch a fit till I learned it was more than a 1 week thing. She is not signing any legal forms at five.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
It was awful... She couldnt sleep the other night all stressed out, asking if the teachers she kinda likes are actually mean? Didn't they know her name? She said her old friends knew her name, but she was afraid to correct her new friends shes met- cause she didn't want to get yelled at by the teachers for using LUCY. The trauma of being forced to erase her name is hard to shake off
I'm having trouble understanding why it was such a big deal. Using your example (I realize it isn't the actual name) her name -is- Lucille. She is -called- Lucy. Lucy is not her name.

My name (for all intents and purposes of this thread) is AnonChick. I was named AnonChick by my mother, though growing up, she and the family called me Anon. Once I got to school, I was instructed to learn how to spell my full name, and the teachers used it, because that was the name I was given by my mother and I should have respect for that. And out of fondness for me, because I was such a cute little kid, they called me Chickie.

Once I reached Jr. High, I had a teacher whose mother was named AnonChick, and everyone called her Chickadoodle. In memory of his beloved mother, he called me Chickadoodle.

Not once - in my 50 years of existence, have I ever been concerned about my given name. If you didn't want people to know her name was Lucille, you should have named her Lucy. The sooner she learns that her name IS Lucille, and that she needs to accept this and embrace it, regardless of what she's called by others, the better.

What a thoroughly silly thing to get upset about. If her name was Lucille, and the teacher insisted on calling her Immelda, then I could see a problem. But her name is Lucille. And the teacher wants her to know her own name, and not be afraid or intimidated by her own name. If you don't like her name, change it. But that's on you - you're the one who named her Lucille in the first place.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:30 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm having trouble understanding why it was such a big deal. Using your example (I realize it isn't the actual name) her name -is- Lucille. She is -called- Lucy. Lucy is not her name.

My name (for all intents and purposes of this thread) is AnonChick. I was named AnonChick by my mother, though growing up, she and the family called me Anon. Once I got to school, I was instructed to learn how to spell my full name, and the teachers used it, because that was the name I was given by my mother and I should have respect for that. And out of fondness for me, because I was such a cute little kid, they called me Chickie.

Once I reached Jr. High, I had a teacher whose mother was named AnonChick, and everyone called her Chickadoodle. In memory of his beloved mother, he called me Chickadoodle.

Not once - in my 50 years of existence, have I ever been concerned about my given name. If you didn't want people to know her name was Lucille, you should have named her Lucy. The sooner she learns that her name IS Lucille, and that she needs to accept this and embrace it, regardless of what she's called by others, the better.

What a thoroughly silly thing to get upset about. If her name was Lucille, and the teacher insisted on calling her Immelda, then I could see a problem. But her name is Lucille. And the teacher wants her to know her own name, and not be afraid or intimidated by her own name. If you don't like her name, change it. But that's on you - you're the one who named her Lucille in the first place.
Yes.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:29 AM

You missed the point she knows and has learned her name, she answers to given & diminutive. Instruction of name (when & where to use either )is perrogative of parents. The school employees are not her parents. It is not thier job to take her choice away and drill her daily- forcing erasure of diminutive when spelled properly - AT THE AGE OF 5. Do you have kids yet? Or are you talking out your blowhole to support the govt usurping any more of private family rights. They shouldn't step on my rights/ responsibilities to instruct her the things still within parent choice.

I'm not asking they call her a true nickname as:cupcake or chickie or skeeter.

I wanted her forms filled out properly, just not used in the room when she's doing a coloring matching etc etc. I didn't mind a week if it was really necessary, but objected to prolonged dragged out systematically stomping on her daily.

By the way I finally got response from the district, they've apologized to me.
Seems it ISN'T something they needed to force for weeks. So why do it???Vindication- is bittersweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut