Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 AM

13 posts, read 30,647 times

Advertisements

My wife wants to start an online/specialty bakery. There are many restrictions here in CT and a certified kitchen which has to meet many requirements is needed. This can not be simply ran out of our house. We are looking for alternative methods such as renting time at a place that already has a certified kitchen. We are located in Deep River, so anywhere within a 1/2 hour drive would work. This is a small business that would be just starting up so I cannot imagine needing all that much time to begin. Any suggestions or help are appreciated.

Thanks

Chad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 12:23 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,817,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad whelan View Post
My wife wants to start an online/specialty bakery. There are many restrictions here in CT and a certified kitchen which has to meet many requirements is needed. This can not be simply ran out of our house. We are looking for alternative methods such as renting time at a place that already has a certified kitchen. We are located in Deep River, so anywhere within a 1/2 hour drive would work. This is a small business that would be just starting up so I cannot imagine needing all that much time to begin. Any suggestions or help are appreciated.

Thanks

Chad
I've never run a business like this. However, I would imagine churches are good place to start. You could also try lodges like elks lodge, VFW, etc.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,784,348 times
Check with your church or other churches nearby.
I've personally known two different small caterer's use this approach at the start.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:30 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,405,836 times
Anywhere that serves food to the public could rent you space. You may want to try a local restaurant that opens only in the afternoons and leaves their kitchen unused in the mornings. A friend of mine does this in NY for her chocolate business and it works out well for all parties. She gets her space and the restaurant makes money off of down time.

I for one am glad CT (and many other states) have such laws. I really wouldn't want to be subjected to food cooked in a stranger's home where you have no clue about the cleanliness, airborne cat hair, their toddler jamming their dirty fingers in the cookie batter, etc. At least commercial kitchens have the threat of being inspected and have to have some semblance of cleanliness!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Thanks, we are making some calls, all good ideas.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,770 times
Default Deep River baking location

Chad,

Did you and your wife ever find a commercial kitchen for rent in the Deep River area? I live in Deep River too and would love to find such a kitchen.

Audrey

Old 09-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Hi Audry

We did find a few places, not in Deep River, but within a 1/2 hour I think. My wife would know better where exactly. We did not end up using them because of the cost, they were not cheap. If I remember correctly it was in the $500 range for a full day. We have decided to go another direction with the business until we find something that works. If you come across any reasonable deals please let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut