Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:58 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

6 months and 1 day in FL makes you a full time resident. I'm pretty sure they can't force you to get CT plates if you live there 6 months and 1 day per year. I think proving that is like fighting the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 09:39 AM

327 posts, read 1,119,388 times
I don't see anything wrong with it. It should be an eye opener to the legislators up in Hartford. I would be doing the same if I had property in FL.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:26 AM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
6 months and 1 day in FL makes you a full time resident. I'm pretty sure they can't force you to get CT plates if you live there 6 months and 1 day per year. I think proving that is like fighting the wind.
For out of the mill residents they don't care but if you are a big shot Im sure they care. I remember NY tax department actually hired private investigators to track Rockefeller all year round to prove he has been in NY for more than 6 months and 1 day but Rockerfeller somehow found out (I guess his bodyguards told him) and the NY tax department wasted their $$$ and effort.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:11 PM

34,934 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Several friends own property and/or house in FL. This includes property which they park their RV on. As long as they are property owners in FL, they register the vehicles there and avoid personal property tax in the state where they own a home. Perfectly legal.
Actually no. You have to show that you spend more time in Florida than in Connecticut. I know someone that splits his time between the two and he keeps track of his time in Florida and his time in Connecticut because he knows people that were caught and does not want any problems. Jay

Old 10-02-2011, 10:57 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Would be great if the powers that be realized this is a result of overtaxation more than people trying to get away with something. Its only wrong because a wrong law exists.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:55 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
LOL at this thread. I have a state cop living down the street from me and his cars are regged in Vermont. If the cops won't follow the rules, why should anyone else?

Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,184 times
the state troopers are registering their cars out of state too? pfft.. doesnt surprise me. .
But how do you go about doing that? registering it out of state? You have to own property out of state or something?
Or supposed you just moved here, and are not planning on staying that long.. just temporarily.. can you keep your out of state registration then?

Old 10-05-2011, 05:52 AM

34,934 posts, read 56,945,109 times
You just need an address in the state you are registering the vehicle in.

Someone just told me they know someone who is long retired and registers their vehicles in South Dakota. The taxes there are supposedly very favorable for retirees though I never heard that before. They have a PO box there that forwards all their mail to them here in the warmer months and down south in the colder months. They only have to go to South Dakota every 7 years to renew their drivers license. I can't believe what some people will do to avoid paying taxes. Is the savings really worth it??? Jay

Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
LOL at this thread. I have a state cop living down the street from me and his cars are regged in Vermont. If the cops won't follow the rules, why should anyone else?
I know a small business owner who owns a business in downtown Seymour who registers his car in Vermont. Going by your logic, all small business owners don't follow this law - so why should anyone else?

Report him.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:56 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You just need an address in the state you are registering the vehicle in.

Someone just told me they know someone who is long retired and registers their vehicles in South Dakota. The taxes there are supposedly very favorable for retirees though I never heard that before. They have a PO box there that forwards all their mail to them here in the warmer months and down south in the colder months. They only have to go to South Dakota every 7 years to renew their drivers license. I can't believe what some people will do to avoid paying taxes. Is the savings really worth it??? Jay
You need to live at that address for > 6 months. It's a high tax and is ridiculous, but laws are laws are laws. Follow them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut