U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,101 times

Advertisements

Over the summer the CT legislature evidently voted for an increase in state income tax, making it retroactive to the beginning of the year. Consequently, employers have had to increase the tax withholding to account for the higher rate as well as to make up for the lower rates collected earlier in the year. I am struggling with how this retroactive taxation can be legal, in that, a law is being imposed to affect transactions which have already taken place. Certainly the US constitution protects us from being convicted of violating new laws if they did not exist at the time the act took place (retroactively) and this tax action seems to be a similar situation.

Is the tax action legal or is it jsut consider legal as long as no one challenges it in court?

Sincerely,
Stinging from taxation in CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 11:17 AM

8,950 posts, read 9,810,600 times
What you say is accurate as I have had to increase the withholdings for one of my employees and myself-- although the increase has been minor.

You do raise an interesting question, however... I wonder if the retroactivity would survive a court challenge-- Maybe you should be the one to challenge it?

Last edited by mlassoff; 10-16-2011 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 12:03 PM

1,930 posts, read 3,172,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
What you say is accurate as I have had to increase the withholdings for one of my employees and myself-- although the increase has been minor.

You do raise an interesting question, however... I wonder if the radioactivity would survive a court challenge-- Maybe you should be the one to challenge it?
I believe it was challenged and dismissed by a dem shill judge.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:22 PM

24,566 posts, read 40,120,453 times
Technically income taxes are not paid until you file your income tax forms so it is not illegal for the state to change the tax amount half way through the year. If you dislike htis so much, take it up with your state legislator. Jay

Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 AM

41 posts, read 60,461 times
Thats right, withholding is a collection mechanism, not a "tax". The tax is paid when the return is filed.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:22 PM

164 posts, read 281,841 times
I'd suggest that a better question is, "Why is it legal for the government to force my employer to take taxes out on a paycheck-by-paycheck basis and hold onto my money, well in advance of when it's actually due?"

Old 10-19-2011, 07:25 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,435,858 times
Weicker did it 20 years ago. Tax was imposed for 4 months year 1, but not ready until Oct 1, so withholding was done at 4/3 the base rate for that year.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,810,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
I'd suggest that a better question is, "Why is it legal for the government to force my employer to take taxes out on a paycheck-by-paycheck basis and hold onto my money, well in advance of when it's actually due?"

Actually your employer sends that tax money to the government pretty regularly. I just sent in a few grand of withholding from my employees checks.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 PM

164 posts, read 281,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Actually your employer sends that tax money to the government pretty regularly. I just sent in a few grand of withholding from my employees checks.
Did I say something that contradicted that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or