U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-01-2011, 05:17 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,306 posts, read 21,449,211 times
Reputation: 5088

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
LOL I remember last year my sister (at Stevens insitute of Technology down in Ner Jersey) was going up to UNH for a fencing match and the bus got off of 95 and got on the Merritt. When she and a couple other people told the driver he wasn't supposed to be on the road, the driver ignored them and kept driving. THAT'S the worst offender: someone who's oblivious AND doesn't care, smh
How is that possible? He would have hit the bridges if he kept driving.

 
Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Live in NY State, (sometimes) work in CT
8,756 posts, read 13,962,278 times
Reputation: 3212
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
How is that possible? He would have hit the bridges if he kept driving.
Maybe it was one of those small "van buses"?
 
Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
5,813 posts, read 3,865,971 times
Reputation: 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
How is that possible? He would have hit the bridges if he kept driving.
They took route 7 and got on from there. I think the first bridge to hit comming from 7 North to the Merritt East is that bridge that's under construction (the 10"6 one), so they had to pull over and let the police let it back to route 7. Since it didn't happen to me I don't know the whole logistics of it.
 
Old 12-15-2011, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
62,951 posts, read 45,321,577 times
Reputation: 10119
From news12..

"Police are investigating a very serious crash on the NB side of the Merritt Parkway in Greenwich. Police have issued the following detour because of the crash; exit at North St. to North Sandwich St. Go west on North Sandwich to Taconic, then north on Taconic to Farms Rd. Head west on Farms road to Riverbank in Stamford. Go south on Riverbank to the Merritt Parkway"

I have a picture of a mangled car off to the side in the woods..I wont post it here due to graphics but let me know if you want to see it.

Has it blown anyone away yet, the amount of accidents and traffic on these 2 roads? Its mind boggling if you think about it.
 
Old 12-15-2011, 12:28 PM
 
4 posts, read 3,362 times
Reputation: 10
Drove by the Stamford accident heading southbound at around 12:20. I have no idea how anyone survived that...at least so far. The tree was where the driver's seat used to be.
 
Old 12-15-2011, 12:43 PM
 
1,546 posts, read 1,348,451 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
From news12..

"Police are investigating a very serious crash on the NB side of the Merritt Parkway in Greenwich. Police have issued the following detour because of the crash; exit at North St. to North Sandwich St. Go west on North Sandwich to Taconic, then north on Taconic to Farms Rd. Head west on Farms road to Riverbank in Stamford. Go south on Riverbank to the Merritt Parkway"

I have a picture of a mangled car off to the side in the woods..I wont post it here due to graphics but let me know if you want to see it.

Has it blown anyone away yet, the amount of accidents and traffic on these 2 roads? Its mind boggling if you think about it.

Every morning and every night I see reckless drivers....speeding......texting.....talking on the phone....cutting people off......last week,during our commute to NY, my wife and I passed a woman on the Merritt eating cereal or something out of a plastic bowl while driving ans steering with her thumb.......then,another morning, we passed an idiot guy driving with his knees(doing about 65-70) because he was shuffling through a stack of papers with both hands and hardly watching the road!!! What???
Its bad enough to watch out for deer,speeders and falling trees but these kind of people are insane. I see stuff like this EVERY day on the Merritt........
 
Old 12-15-2011, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,336 posts, read 17,358,216 times
Reputation: 3246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Every morning and every night I see reckless drivers....speeding......texting.....talking on the phone....cutting people off......last week,during our commute to NY, my wife and I passed a woman on the Merritt eating cereal or something out of a plastic bowl while driving ans steering with her thumb.......then,another morning, we passed an idiot guy driving with his knees(doing about 65-70) because he was shuffling through a stack of papers with both hands and hardly watching the road!!! What???
Its bad enough to watch out for deer,speeders and falling trees but these kind of people are insane. I see stuff like this EVERY day on the Merritt........
I'll take someone fully alert going 80 over someone that's distracted going 60 ANY DAY. It's not the speed that causes accidents, it's the other idiotic behavior that goes on while driving.
 
Old 12-15-2011, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
5,813 posts, read 3,865,971 times
Reputation: 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
it's the other idiotic behavior that goes on while driving.

It may sound corny, but I like to think of myself "I'm only as good of a driver as the worst idiot on the road at the time I'm driving."

I've never gotten into an accident (unless you count the couple of times I backed into the basketball hoop in my driveway....but I don't), have only gotten 1 ticket, and have only run over 1 rodent, and that wasn't really my fault: it was a squirrell in October or November (when they get crazy), that was indecisive about which direction they wanted to go. I also had a person driving right behind me, and since the squirrell basically darted right in front of my car I more then likely would've been rear-ended had I been able to brake anyway.

So in short I've been driving for about 9 years with an almost spotless record, yet I'm only as good of a driver as the person shaving, eating a bagel, reading the newspaper and driving all at the same time.
 
Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Live in NY State, (sometimes) work in CT
8,756 posts, read 13,962,278 times
Reputation: 3212
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Every morning and every night I see reckless drivers....speeding......texting.....talking on the phone....cutting people off......last week,during our commute to NY, my wife and I passed a woman on the Merritt eating cereal or something out of a plastic bowl while driving ans steering with her thumb.......then,another morning, we passed an idiot guy driving with his knees(doing about 65-70) because he was shuffling through a stack of papers with both hands and hardly watching the road!!! What???
Its bad enough to watch out for deer,speeders and falling trees but these kind of people are insane. I see stuff like this EVERY day on the Merritt........
Me too (and since I'm going opposite from you a lot more of the speeding, etc.)
 
Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,306 posts, read 21,449,211 times
Reputation: 5088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I'll take someone fully alert going 80 over someone that's distracted going 60 ANY DAY.
Me too. I don't usually go 80 (though sometimes on an empty 91, I catch myself hitting 78 or 79), but you can tell who is paying attention and who isn't.

This morning, I was driving south on 91 going about 73ish and there was a jackas$ in the left lane who couldn't be going any faster than 50 or 55. There was nobody in the right lane. His overhead light was on and he was busy doing something. That's pretty infuriating, not to mention extremely dangerous. Man, what it took for me to not blare my horn at him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top