U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 AM

1,920 posts, read 987,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I don't see why we don't toll people leaving the state. NY does it.

In Greenwich on NY border, 84/91 on Mass border, and 95 on RI border. The only one that is debatable is the Greenwich one, just because so many more people commute via that route than the Mass/RI borders. Those are more proportionally interstate travelers and freight.

There would have to be rules that the money has to be used for transportation and nothing else.

I've been screaming this for a year and a half. 5 tolls in the state: 95 in Greenwich & Stonington, 84 in Danbury & Union and 91 in Enfield. Truckers get a free pass because interstate commerce is vital for the economy, if your a CT resident you don't pay the tolls OR if your an out of state resident, but can prove you work 300+ days a year in CT (i.e someone that lives in Worcester, MA but works 5 days a week in Hartford) then your also eligible for non payment of tolls. You should see the 91 South to 84 East ramp, like basically every car whenever I go by there is out of state.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:15 AM

12,056 posts, read 12,850,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I've been screaming this for a year and a half. 5 tolls in the state: 95 in Greenwich & Stonington, 84 in Danbury & Union and 91 in Enfield. Truckers get a free pass because interstate commerce is vital for the economy, if your a CT resident you don't pay the tolls OR if your an out of state resident, but can prove you work 300+ days a year in CT (i.e someone that lives in Worcester, MA but works 5 days a week in Hartford) then your also eligible for non payment of tolls. You should see the 91 South to 84 East ramp, like basically every car whenever I go by there is out of state.
Funny, driving on 95 by Marsh Hill Road in Orange this weekend, every. last. car. was from NY, MA, NJ, or RI. The $$$ CT would make off of these folks is amazing.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 AM

14,581 posts, read 23,220,939 times
Quote:
The Feds won't allow border tolls on interstate or federally funded highways unless they are on major bridges. It would cause a toll war between states and they will not allow that. They actually do not want tolls on any interstate highway. The ones that do exist were built prior to the Interstate highway program and get reduced federal money. While I-95 was built before the interstate program, it was switched to a non-toll status back in the 80's when the tolls were removed. They are now looking at allowing some limited tolls on interstate highways but they will only be part of a major highway reconstruction project and will only be lalowed for a limited time to pay off bonds for the project. Jay

Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 AM

6,632 posts, read 8,366,175 times
Quote:
Besides, if you work 5 days/week and take 2 weeks vacation that's "only" 250 days

Also, what about teachers who work 180-200 days?

But seriously, it could be done. They make special EZ-Passes that give a discount so long as you keep crossing the toll 20+ times/month, so it could be made to be "free" on the tolls in that situation. But as Jay said, it's not politically/legally possible.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 AM

26,296 posts, read 14,345,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The Feds won't allow border tolls on interstate or federally funded highways unless they are on major bridges. It would cause a toll war between states and they will not allow that. They actually do not want tolls on any interstate highway. The ones that do exist were built prior to the Interstate highway program and get reduced federal money. While I-95 was built before the interstate program, it was switched to a non-toll status back in the 80's when the tolls were removed. They are now looking at allowing some limited tolls on interstate highways but they will only be part of a major highway reconstruction project and will only be lalowed for a limited time to pay off bonds for the project. Jay
They have been fighting to make ammendments to that law and but you can still apply to have tolls on an Interstate which has to be approved by US DOT and/or Congress.

Also - You are allowed to put tolls on Interstates as long as it's for adding lanes. (sounds like an awesome excuse to start making I-95 into 10 lanes, ) Then you can take them down when funds are recouped.

Is USDOT Backing Away From Tolling Programs? | Transportation Issues Daily

Sec LaHood, Mica agree - no tolls on interstates except for extra pavement (COMMENT) | TOLLROADSnews

Old 04-02-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
They have been fighting to make ammendments to that law and but you can still apply to have tolls on an Interstate which has to be approved by US DOT and/or Congress.

Also - You are allowed to put tolls on Interstates as long as it's for adding lanes. (sounds like an awesome excuse to start making I-95 into 10 lanes, ) Then you can take them down when funds are recouped.

Is USDOT Backing Away From Tolling Programs? | Transportation Issues Daily

Sec LaHood, Mica agree - no tolls on interstates except for extra pavement (COMMENT) | TOLLROADSnews
You are right, there has been a fight but with a government that can't even agree on along term transportation funding plan (heck they are having trouble with approving a short term one) you are not going to see tolls being allowed for a long time. If you look at the list of roads where tolling is allowed, they are on facilities where tolls already exist (like the New Jersey Turnpike) or where they constructed separate High Occupancy Vehicle lanes or on brand new separaqte roadways. There are no tolls being added on existing interstate highways. And based on the comments made by LaHood in the other article you attached, it does not look like it will be allowed ever. RI was recently turned down for adding tolls on I-95 near the Connecticut line. Jay

Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 PM

10,692 posts, read 8,085,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Couldn't they be a mile or 2 before the border, like the NY toll on 95 north?

Old 04-03-2012, 04:56 AM

6,632 posts, read 8,366,175 times
Quote:
That one's an "accident of fate" for reasons similar to the NJ Turnpike, NY State Thruway, etc. Remember, I-95 in CT and the Merritt had tolls, but they were removed in the 1980s (partially for safety reasons by the way). In the 1970s and earlier the NY I-95 toll was both ways and political pressure made it become one way around the time that CT removed their tolls completely.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:22 AM

26,296 posts, read 14,345,651 times
Should be cleared by now.

Car in an embankment at Exit 18 I-95 NB-- right lane blocked--

Incident: Motor Vehicle Accident - WESTPORT
Description:Motor Vehicle Accident (1 Vehicle) on I-95 Northbound between Exits 17 and 18. The right lane is closed.
Reported Tuesday, April 3 at 5:02 am.
Estimated Duration:1 hour or less Incident:

Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
That toll in New York was built as part of the New York turnpike system of highways before the interstate highway system was established. It is several miles from the Connecticut border. Even if they put the toll 2 miles from the border, it can be considered a border toll depending on how many exits are between the toll and the border. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut