U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 AM
 
Location: CT - close to coast
24,514 posts, read 12,975,619 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Depends how you integrate it into the towns fabric. CT has a problem of not building alt Transit links to connect into the Rail network thus people drive everywhere in the dense coastal areas. You don't have the option of taking a LRT or Bus like in NJ. CT also have laxed zoning laws and other problems like Broken sidewalks and no bike lanes. The Key is to focus on developing in Urban Connecticut then do the suburbs.
Thats one solution, I was giving one reason. There's always been buses and trains but there's never been 1 million people in Fairfield County alone.

 
Old 07-19-2012, 07:29 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 998,200 times
Reputation: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Depends how you integrate it into the towns fabric. CT has a problem of not building alt Transit links to connect into the Rail network thus people drive everywhere in the dense coastal areas. You don't have the option of taking a LRT or Bus like in NJ. CT also have laxed zoning laws and other problems like Broken sidewalks and no bike lanes. The Key is to focus on developing in Urban Connecticut then do the suburbs.
I think you are over-generalizing. Also FWIW, I can deal with broken sidewalks and no bike lanes. What I can't deal with is NJ taxes (and tolls)! Those fringe benefits aren't worth double or triple what I already pay to the town.
 
Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 AM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,336 posts, read 13,273,059 times
Reputation: 4242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I think you are over-generalizing. Also FWIW, I can deal with broken sidewalks and no bike lanes. What I can't deal with is NJ taxes (and tolls)! Those fringe benefits aren't worth double or triple what I already pay to the town.
No i'm right on the $$$ , and what does NJ taxes and tolls have to do with anything. The Taxes are about the same and the Tolls keep the Gas tax low....hmmmm.... And its the Gas Tax which pays for our Transit network...not property taxes.
 
Old 07-19-2012, 08:01 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 998,200 times
Reputation: 769
There are plenty of CT communities with sidewalks in good condition. So no you aren't right on the [sic] $. If you think RE taxes are comparable between NJ and CT you are on bath salts. RE taxes generally pay for municipal level infrastructure, local roads, sidewalks, gasp even bike lanes.

With respect to higher gas tax vs. tolls, I'd prefer for the former. I'm also okay having slightly more expensive gas due to the absence of polluting refineries. NJ gas is cheap because much of it is refined locally and doesn't need to be transported.

Last edited by Wilton2ParkAve; 07-19-2012 at 08:12 AM..
 
Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
11,886 posts, read 12,280,307 times
Reputation: 3267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
There are plenty of CT communities with sidewalks in good condition. So no you aren't right on the [sic] $. If you think RE taxes are comparable between NJ and CT you are on bath salts. RE taxes generally pay for municipal level infrastructure, local roads, sidewalks, gasp even bike lanes.
Agreed on all. I go running every morning in Branford - our sidewalks are near perfect. When I lived in Shelton, same thing.

RE: Property taxes - no comparison between CT and NJ (mostly northern NJ).
 
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 PM
 
885 posts, read 669,450 times
Reputation: 721
Just left Westport, sat in Traffic till Stamford for MILES!!! Why? two right lanes closed at 10pm...

W-T-F

 
Old 07-20-2012, 05:09 AM
 
Location: CT - close to coast
24,514 posts, read 12,975,619 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Just left Westport, sat in Traffic till Stamford for MILES!!! Why? two right lanes closed at 10pm...

W-T-F
What a mess. There was an accident in Greenwich but before 10pm so not sure.

CTDOT_Statewide Motor Vehicle Accident - GREENWICH I95S 0.09 miles before Exit 2 (LOUDEN ST) at 7/19/2012 6:07:12 PM
 
Old 07-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Status: "NATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
1,698 posts, read 877,021 times
Reputation: 687
95 wad backed up at exit 4 for god knows how many miles yesterday at 1:00 PM. When I got on the Merritt at 4:15 yesterday there was already traffic at exit 33 and went on until at least exit 51. God bless the people that have to sit in this everyday, if that were me, I'd have no hair left because I would have pulled it all out sitting in this traffic everyday.
 
Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 AM
 
885 posts, read 669,450 times
Reputation: 721
merrit north was backed up at 730 pm down in ffc.. so glad i was staying local.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 AM
 
8,241 posts, read 9,356,765 times
Reputation: 4839
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
When I got on the Merritt at 4:15 yesterday there was already traffic at exit 33 and went on until at least exit 51. God bless the people that have to sit in this everyday, if that were me, I'd have no hair left because I would have pulled it all out sitting in this traffic everyday.
I haven't pulled mine out, but i suspect that the traffic is a contributing factor to the grey hairs i'm sprouting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top