Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

The only thing that i could think of would be for them to develop some type of device placed alongside the highways that could make cell conversations very difficult(but not totally impossible). Something that emits a signal like every other second that causes interference with(but doesn't terminate) your call.
As someone that uses hands free calling, that would **** me off.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:57 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I'm not addressing the hands-free or not aspect. I think the issue of not holding the handset while talking is actually overblown.

I'm addressing the aspect of the actual phone conversation. It appears to be too much of a distraction for most drivers.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
For me, even hands-free (earpiece or speaker) doesn't really help. I won't talk on the phone while driving unless it's something really important and there isn't much traffic. It's too distracting and easy to lose focus on what's important - the several thousand pounds of metal you're hurtling down the road at high speed.

Good article on the recent BB outage, causing a significant drop in traffic accidents. BlackBerry Phones Outage: Traffic Accident Levels Fall In Dubai And Abu Dhabi During Period | Technology | Sky News

I agree with SVTJayC - it is way too easy to get a license... and even easier to keep it.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:02 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
IMO, hands free devices are more distracting than actually holding the phone. I talk on my cell when I drive if I happen to get an important phone call - I still drive perfectly fine.

It's the rude and aggressive drivers that are the biggest problem. I agree with having a 711 line to report aggressive drivers.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 AM

I have no problem concentrating on the road while talking. I guess it's different for everyone.

I agree that idiotic road manners are the biggest problem. Some people find the flick of the wrist to engage their turn signal is far too much work.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:16 PM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
If people follow the driving laws (especially the speed limits) and actually drive (not drive and call a friend, ahem); accidents would be a very rare thing.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
If people follow the driving laws (especially the speed limits) and actually drive (not drive and call a friend, ahem); accidents would be a very rare thing.
I don't believe speeding causes accidents on the highway. Rarely.

You can speed safely given the right circumstances.

The things that cause accidents are poor lane discipline (not looking, not blinking, passing on right, etc), following too closely, etc.

Not maintaining a steady speed is far more dangerous than speeding IMO and has a big hand in congestion.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:15 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Focus...thats all... Thats all people need. Even with blind spots...you gotta focus and know wheres what and who next to you. You can be drinking coffee, putting makeup on, on cell phone, writing down a song, eating Chinese, shaving, dancing, playing peekaboo, JJUUSSTT FOCUS!!!!!!!!!

A highway is going straight...no lights...no stop signs...nobody parrallel parking, no oncoming cars within feet of you, nobody making lefts in opposite direction... Its simple straight forward

But you know what KILLS me... Exit 3 in Greenwich going south...
HOW DO THEY HAVE A 100 FOOT RAMP TO THE LIGHT???? CARS GET BACKED UP TO THE 3RD LANE SO NOW YOU HAVE 2 LANES ON THE INTERSTATE DURING RUSH HOUR AND CARS IN THE MIDDLE LANE DOING 60MPH WHILE CARS IN THE RIGHT LANE ARE STOPPED TO GET OFF THE EXIT...

DO THEY NOT SEE THAT? THATS STUPIDTY!!!

No reason for accidents unless the car malfunctions...NO REASON

I think we all need to be in controlled vehicles. Meaning a computer controls where we go and when we get there. It will read how close cars are when to stop and go..or maybe we'll be on a track like a trolly....cause the human mind has obviously had its days.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
A highway is going straight...no stop signs... no oncoming cars within feet of you.. Its simple straight forward

No reason for accidents unless the car malfunctions...NO REASON

I'll keep all of this in mind during my commute on the Parkway.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:30 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,470 times
Im in it morning and night commuting to NY. The merritt south from exit 48-42 in the morning sucks. If I hit it after 6:30 am, forget it. Takes 30-40 minutes. Insane.
I am now leaving work to head back home to CT. The Merritt northbound at this time sucks.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut