U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 PM
dkv

96 posts, read 109,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
Both areas have several supermarkets within walking or biking distance, and a large new food co-op (based on Whole Foods) is opening in the center of town in a week.
I don't know of a supermarket in Westville. You could bike to the one on Amity, but you probably wouldn't do it more than once. You certainly wouldn't do it with kids.
I also don't know of a supermarket in East Rock. I think State St is a bit far to walk with kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon860 View Post
I suppose if you live right in one of the town centers, it could be different, but almost all the markets (except the small one in downtown Branford) are situated within giant strip malls that would be quite dangerous to walk to even if you lived across the street.
Talk about drinking the kool-aid. I can walk to the Big Y and Walmart in Guilford. Safely. I can also walk to the beach, town hall, train station, and library.

Have you ever been to one of the Shoreline towns on a weekend? Crawling with strollers, runners, and cyclists.

I'm not saying it's better than East Rock, but it's a draw at worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:39 PM

14,325 posts, read 17,309,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkv View Post
Talk about drinking the kool-aid. I can walk to the Big Y and Walmart in Guilford. Safely. I can also walk to the beach, town hall, train station, and library.

Have you ever been to one of the Shoreline towns on a weekend? Crawling with strollers, runners, and cyclists.

I'm not saying it's better than East Rock, but it's a draw at worst.
Agreed. I can and have safely walked from my place to downtown and could easily get to Shop Rite from there. There's plenty of sidewalks and I've noticed people are much more outdoorsy in the sense that they're out and about in neighborhoods along the shoreline towns vs. inland communities.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:38 AM

3 posts, read 2,361 times
Default One more area to throw in the mix

These have been great suggestions. We appreciate everyone's comments. We are going to try to stick with Branford, but there are only two rental houses for us to look at there. In East Haven, we've found a few rentals and we're wondering if this is a "safe" place to live for a few years and start a family. Could someone comment on the area of East Haven by Long Island Sound.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:25 AM

15,292 posts, read 21,408,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglanderToday View Post
These have been great suggestions. We appreciate everyone's comments. We are going to try to stick with Branford, but there are only two rental houses for us to look at there. In East Haven, we've found a few rentals and we're wondering if this is a "safe" place to live for a few years and start a family. Could someone comment on the area of East Haven by Long Island Sound.
East Haven is a safe, lower working class suburb. LOTS of Italians. The mayor is kind of a joke, as is their police department, and I wouldn't send my kids to school there because they underperform and don't offer a broad range of courses in their curriculum from what I've heard. Branford is much nicer IMO, but East Haven is certainly not a crime-ridden area.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:28 AM

13,262 posts, read 33,717,144 times
I'd avoid the area known as "the annex," which is a split area of New Haven and East Haven, all jumbled up. Parts of it are not safe, and other parts are inconvenient during rush hour and holidays (one road in and out to Lighthouse Point - try living there and taking a -left- out of your driveway during rush hour on a beautiful summer morning when all the teachers are bringing their own children to the beach).

The area nearer to Short Beach is lovely, and affordable, and friendly, and has lots of sidewalks or "sides of the road" conducive to walking. Only caveat - the closer you get to the beach, the higher the risk of flooding. The last hurricane caused a heap of damage. So you'll probably want to be several blocks back from the beach.

On the other side of town, there are tons and tons of condos, some of which are designed with families in mind. They're walkable, relatively safe, and they're a couple blocks back from the main Rte 80 strip where you'll find Aldi's, a half dozen fast food joints, CVS, Rite Aid, a Kroeger's convenient store (like a 7-11), banks, Lowe's, entrance to the highway. The caveat for -that- is that Rte 80 itself is a nightmare during rush hour. ESPECIALLY heading toward North Branford away from the highway exit.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:59 AM

23,774 posts, read 39,054,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
East Haven is a safe, lower working class suburb. LOTS of Italians. The mayor is kind of a joke, as is their police department, and I wouldn't send my kids to school there because they underperform and don't offer a broad range of courses in their curriculum from what I've heard. Branford is much nicer IMO, but East Haven is certainly not a crime-ridden area.
It is true that East Haven schools perform under the State averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. If well performing schools are important I would look into Branford, Guilford or Madison. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut