U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:06 AM

8,335 posts, read 4,270,255 times

Advertisements

I would assume it be difficult to determine unless they were able to tranquilize the cat and collect data. Then tag and realise the beauty back into the wild.

I am glad if mountain lions are back. Heard the wolf population is starting to come back as well.

Balance man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 09:23 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,208,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I would assume it be difficult to determine unless they were able to tranquilize the cat and collect data. Then tag and realise the beauty back into the wild.

I am glad if mountain lions are back. Heard the wolf population is starting to come back as well.

Balance man.
I think if a large cat was truly spotted in those woods, it would be easy to identify by sight as being a ML by someone with a trained eye. I understand bobcats are most commonly misidentified as a ML, but by someone who knows, it would be very hard to mix the two up. My understanding is bobcat is 35 lb range and a bobbed tail; ML is 100 lbs+, long tail — almost as long as it’s entire body and in the 7-8ft range nose to tail, and solid tan coat
But no details were provided about who reported the sighting. Without seeing a picture, I’d have to know who the spotter was before I deemed it credible. Example if spotter was a biologist, zoologist, or even avid hunter, then I would believe it to be credible. Anyone else though, not so much.
There was that one in Greenwich that was later hit by a car in Milford a number of years ago, so who knows. MAybe the just pass through our state occasionally.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:41 PM

729 posts, read 1,799,353 times
My first assumption is also that people get a bit too excited by seeing a bobcat and want to believe it is a mountain lion. Same deal with coyotes being reported as wolves.

That being said, I think it's true that mistaking a bobcat for a mountain lion is unlikely for someone who knows about them.

Here is a site that shows a few confirmed pieces of evidence from the northeast.
https://www.cougarnet.org/confirmations

Old 12-09-2018, 07:20 AM

1,876 posts, read 1,604,690 times
Mistaking a bobcat for a mountain lion is like mistaking a raccoon for a bear.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:58 AM

8,335 posts, read 4,270,255 times
Saw a Lynx on my run once or thought was a Lynx

That was pretty cool

Old 12-09-2018, 11:26 AM

24,927 posts, read 40,559,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Saw a Lynx on my run once or thought was a Lynx

That was pretty cool
A lynx is more commonly called a Bobcat. They are common in our state. Here is more information from Connecticut DEEP on them. Jay

https://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?q=325974

Old 12-09-2018, 01:20 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,208,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A lynx is more commonly called a Bobcat. They are common in our state. Here is more information from Connecticut DEEP on them. Jay

I actually think of a lynx as something a bit different than bobcat. I saw a lynx once in mid-eastern Vermont (a little north of White River Junction in a town called Fairlee — about 5-10 miles west of the New Hampshire border). I think lynx are native to Canada and not to our area . They have quite longer legs than the bobcats that we see in southern New England. Much pointier ears too and more “thick” tufts of hair framing their faces - a lot more “feathering” for lack of better word?
The one I saw in VT had a coat much different than the bobcats that I’ve seen around here also. Much less “tabby striping” if that makes sense? I’ve personally seen bobcat around here on fewer ocassions than I can count on one hand, so i’m no expert - but I did once in Danbury in our friend’s backyard; twice in Sherman (both times on Route 37), and once here in New Fairfield on Warwick Road, next to a swampy area that abutts Route 37 also.
The cat I saw in VT was very much different.

Last edited by Lalalally; 12-09-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 04:48 PM

3,300 posts, read 1,920,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I actually think of a lynx as something a bit different than bobcat. I saw a lynx once in mid-eastern Vermont (a little north of White River Junction in a town called Fairlee — about 5-10 miles west of the New Hampshire border). I think lynx are native to Canada and not to our area . They have quite longer legs than the bobcats that we see in southern New England. Much pointier ears too and more “thick” tufts of hair framing their faces - a lot more “feathering” for lack of better word?
The one I saw in VT had a coat much different than the bobcats that I’ve seen around here also. Much less “tabby striping” if that makes sense? I’ve personally seen bobcat around here on fewer ocassions than I can count on one hand, so i’m no expert - but I did once in Danbury in our friend’s backyard; twice in Sherman (both times on Route 37), and once here in New Fairfield on Warwick Road, next to a swampy area that abutts Route 37 also.
The cat I saw in VT was very much different.
You are right, they are different. Their ears are different and the lynx has a shorter tail.

I saw a bobcat in Glastonbury this summer, there was no question about it being a mountain lion (and I was driving unlike some of these people who actually take (blurry) video and still insist ML)

https://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/lynx-and-bobcat

Old 12-11-2018, 09:58 PM

313 posts, read 101,888 times
Saw a bobcat in the backyard of a friend in Orange.
Never saw one before, but was certain what it was very distinctive look about it. Cant fathom how anyone could confuse it for a mountain lion!

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

350 posts, read 310,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

No it's not. A lynx is a lynx and a bobcat is a bobcat. Same genus, different animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut