Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 12:19 AM

457 posts, read 904,787 times

Advertisements

Power restored at 12:30AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 03:52 AM

633 posts, read 1,644,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I wouldn't mind even more forests
Lets start planting more trees now I feel like one of those tree huging hippies LOOOL

Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Obama declares CT a disaster area. Its crazy out there. People heatless, powerless...roads closed... gas stations closed, entire towns without power... carbon monoxide reports.. Its sad they have to deal with this.

Obama Declares Connecticut a Disaster Area | NBC Connecticut

I hope everyone is getting generators because thats all you really need to survive through this.

Last edited by Cambium; 11-01-2011 at 07:39 AM..

Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 AM

Cant find any pictures from above.
Goveror Malloy Gets Aerial View of Damage from Snowstorm

Goveror Malloy Gets Aerial View of Damage from Snowstorm - News - The Litchfield County Times

Old 11-01-2011, 07:50 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Perhaps the moron should stop commenting on the snow on people's roof, step out of his helicopter and integrate himself in the community. Stop at shelters. Stop at senior complexes without power. Roll your sleeves up and act like a leader instead of a ruler.

He's perhaps the most elitist narcissist I've seen hold office in CT yet.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Perhaps the moron should stop commenting on the snow on people's roof, step out of his helicopter and integrate himself in the community. Stop at shelters. Stop at senior complexes without power. Roll your sleeves up and act like a leader instead of a ruler.

He's perhaps the most elitist narcissist I've seen hold office in CT yet.
I agree 110%. Snow on roofs? Thanks Dan.

I have to say, love him or hate him, John Rowland went to WTIC 1080 and spent almost 16 hours straight on air helping people with information for shelters, gas, heating centers, handicap/medical access etc and compiled real time reports from people around Hartford calling in with info such as open gas stations etc.

Having met and talked with him personally after the "fall" I can say I really believe he did that just to help as being governor for 12 years you tend to have disaster experience at a level most don't.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
I haven't seen a single truck working on power lines. With Irene I saw numerous trucks out and about afterwards, I can only wonder when our power will be back on. Our town still hasn't been given an estimate. It's very frustrating, and we have no internet/cable/phone, either.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM

I'll post this here since it pretains to this storm and for future lookback...

If anyone wants details of why it happened this should explain it all.

Just in case you cant read it all I'll take a bit from it.

"Basically, the rising motion of air in the atmosphere is what caused the rapid cooling of temperatures from 44 degrees to 33 degrees in a matter of a few hours" warmer air at this level is forced to rise up and over the colder air in place."

This nature of the atmosphere lead an intense mid level lapse rate, which helped to rapidly cool the atmosphere at the surface in a short period of time by six to ten degrees Fahrenheit. How do we know that the instability in the atmosphere existed? Because of the thunder-snow that was reported in New York City at around 3 PM that afternoon. Elevated thunderstorms in these types of storms do not develop unless a strong mid level instability factor is present."

http://www.nynjpaweather.com/2011/10/30/post-mortem-pre-halloween-snow-storm-of-2011/

Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
This is something else ...so what do people think about the timeframe for power to come back.....a week in some places again like august???? This is no joke with no heat
I think it's outrageous - hotels are booked solid, roads are blocked by trees down..even if you could find a hotel room many roads are closed. One week for restoring heat is unacceptable.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I haven't seen a single truck working on power lines. With Irene I saw numerous trucks out and about afterwards, I can only wonder when our power will be back on. Our town still hasn't been given an estimate. It's very frustrating, and we have no internet/cable/phone, either.
Hang in there...I went through it with Irene and some of you know how fed up I was. I seen 20 trucks and guys laughing and lounging around with no urgency.

They "ONLY" have 200 something crews and brought in crews from Ohio and New Orleans. Something has to come out of this and hopefully it helps the tax and high rate payers.(us)

One thing that helped me mentally is knowing that they can fix one issue and a whole neighborhood will go back on.

Keep calling.. try this number... 1-800-286-2000. Outages are dropping...now at 691,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut