Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 03:06 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,077,098 times

Advertisements

Glastonbury is a wreck, main street just got power back a few hours ago so now I can go get gas etc.. whole foods has been open for food they have been running on generators. Residntial areas of town are mostly without power...we drove to west faarms mall just to kill the day coming home we drove down through newington, and through wethersfield damage was extensive tons of wires down. I have no eta about power saw just a cox cable truck on my street. That's it...I see crews driving around but don't know where they are going. 96 hours exactly now no power. Thank god I can charge our phones in truck. I doubt I will see power today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 05:10 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,787,169 times
Friendly reminder here to be weary of restaurants and corner stores that have lost power for more than 48 hrs. Generally, 48 hrs is the limit food can be held for in a freezer and\or fridge (if the door(s) are not constantly being opened) and still be good.

With the extent of this power outage the town health\food inspectors won't be able to visit every establishment. Actually, I expect them to issue a blanket directive to all restaurants that all food has to be disposed of. Unless they can show they didn't lose power or had back up generators in use.

I also expect to see small outbreaks of food poisoning after a power outage of this magnitude. I don't expect the media to report on it though.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 PM

83,324 posts, read 74,639,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBergquist View Post
Here are some pictures from our neighborhood in the West End of Hartford... Greater Hartford Real Estate Blog » Surviving the October Storm
Nice blog..Love the dog pic. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Friendly reminder here to be weary of restaurants and corner stores that have lost power for more than 48 hrs. Generally, 48 hrs is the limit food can be held for in a freezer and\or fridge (if the door(s) are not constantly being opened) and still be good.
Good thinking, great advice. The more you think about the aftermath details the crazier this situation is. When someone posted they couldnt find gas that kinda opened up the mind to the true mess.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:02 PM

21,543 posts, read 30,960,631 times
CL-P told my family members in Oxford, Burlington and Simsbury that it would take 2-3 and 4 more days to fix the massive damage in their neighborhoods to restore power, so they've temporarily moved in. We have an air mattress in my living room, couches packed and extra bedroom occupied. Pizza party (and free dog-sitters!).

Again - if anyone needs anything, let me know.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:02 PM

Default October Snow Total Reports on Map

I put this together Using NWS reports only. Here's how it looks on the map.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,930,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
CL-P told my family members in Oxford, Burlington and Simsbury that it would take 2-3 and 4 more days to fix the massive damage in their neighborhoods to restore power, so they've temporarily moved in. We have an air mattress in my living room, couches packed and extra bedroom occupied. Pizza party (and free dog-sitters!).

Again - if anyone needs anything, let me know.
Enjoy the time. Sometimes stuff like this brings families closer...for a certain amount of time, then it gets stressful. lol

That's nice of you to offer folks. They are telling us Sunday, but I'm not expecting it. There are just SO many trees and damage done around here, I can't see it. I just found another neighbor this afternoon a few houses down had his wires ripped off too. I feel bad for a lot of people around me as we are sitting here watching X-Factor showered with hot meals. I'm bleeding cash through this - basically out of business, but screw it, I'm doing all I can to help folks. I've already wired a few generators into the panel around the neighborhood. (Yea yea, talk to me about permits after the clean up.) We've cleaned up as many trees as we could. Not much else left to do, but sit and wait at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I put this together Using NWS reports only. Here's how it looks on the map.
Some of those totals are off IMO...well I suppose where some were taken matters. In Manchester downtown there was not nearly as much as we got up on the Eastern ridge. We measured over 16" at my place.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Some of those totals are off IMO...well I suppose where some were taken matters. In Manchester downtown there was not nearly as much as we got up on the Eastern ridge. We measured over 16" at my place.
Yeah definetly location matters. Just like it can be pouring rain at your house but a mile away its not. It all depends where the heavy bands take place and the geographical setup. Like Stamford shows 3.5 but thats for near I-95. If you went to northern Stamford there was about half foot because there was no mixing. Always subtract a few for downtown locations.

One I did question to NWS was the Greenwich total. They double checked the report with the person and they basically said it must have been the highest elevation in Greenwich. I dont know.

In a perfect world we'll have multiple reports from each town. But I guess this just gives an idea where the swath was. I'm glad to see more reports from DOT, Spotters, and Public.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:20 PM

National Guard arrives in Seymour

National Guard arrives in Seymour | WTNH.com Connecticut

Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 PM

Get this.... CL&P goes on camera saying they werent told the storm would be bad.

CL&P now on my last nerve.. Someone needs to step down a.s.a.p.

Meterologists were doing forecasts pointing out a foot and more and even talking about power outages.

Meteorologists dispute CLP forecast claims - YouTube

Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 PM

26,379 posts, read 46,272,694 times
Extreme weather is becoming the norm as global average temperatures rise. A warmer atmosphere can hold more water vapor so it makes sense. New Hampshire has already had 3 statewide disaster declarations from the weather so far this year. No, these type of storms are not in any way normal. The "once in 100 year" or "once in 500 year" probability odds of seeing a storm of a certain magnitude rule has been thrown completely out the window over the past 10+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut