U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 AM
 
Location: W Hartford, CT
1,787 posts, read 3,445,507 times
Reputation: 1189

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
I grew up in New Britain... this area is not high crime like Hartford or New Haven and sometime things will come up but it always have related involvement with people that know each other that would heat up the drama. So you should not worried at all.
I'm very familiar with NB and I have mixed feelings about it. Some parts of the city are beautiful and don't deserve the bad reputation it gets. I have a grandparent living in assisted living on Corbin Avenue & I love driving on that street when I go to visit her. It's lined with these gorgeous homes and the parks nearby are nice. My grandparents used to live on Vance Street & that area is still decent. Ther'es nothing dangerous about this area atall. You see neighborhoods like this in Farmington and West Hartford all the time. Same thing with the Stanley Park/CCSU area. But I've driven through NB's east side which personally I find intimidating and further north on Corbin past Main Street same thing - I wouldn't feel safe driving through that area at night. Mount Pleasant and Osgood projects are there and it's rough - same thing if you go on Slater past Jefferson School on Malinowski Circle. Things have calmed down in the last 15 years, but I wouldn't want to live there.

IMO what's hurting NB more than anything is its image. Going though there, you have this sense that this used to be a thriving area that supplied a ton of jobs for people. Now it's pretty much just Stanley Works that's there & the amount of jobs they've supplied has dropped over the years. Manufacturing isn't coming back & I wish they'd do something to get people back to work there. Over by Burritt Street there's warehouses that just sit empty and shuttered & I think this is what comes to mind when people think of NB. The school system has also seen better days. Granted, things are better than when that drive-by shooting took place outside the high school, but they still havea ways to go. That aside, the other public amenities like the libraries, parks, the museum (which is free on saturday mornings ) are great.

So you have the good and the bad. I can see why people would put NB on the bottom of their list, but IMO they should also take a look at some of the things it has to offer. It's also nowhere nearly as dangerous as Hartford or New Haven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2011, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Republic of New England
633 posts, read 1,208,334 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I'm very familiar with NB and I have mixed feelings about it. Some parts of the city are beautiful and don't deserve the bad reputation it gets. I have a grandparent living in assisted living on Corbin Avenue & I love driving on that street when I go to visit her. It's lined with these gorgeous homes and the parks nearby are nice. My grandparents used to live on Vance Street & that area is still decent. Ther'es nothing dangerous about this area atall. You see neighborhoods like this in Farmington and West Hartford all the time. Same thing with the Stanley Park/CCSU area. But I've driven through NB's east side which personally I find intimidating and further north on Corbin past Main Street same thing - I wouldn't feel safe driving through that area at night. Mount Pleasant and Osgood projects are there and it's rough - same thing if you go on Slater past Jefferson School on Malinowski Circle. Things have calmed down in the last 15 years, but I wouldn't want to live there.

IMO what's hurting NB more than anything is its image. Going though there, you have this sense that this used to be a thriving area that supplied a ton of jobs for people. Now it's pretty much just Stanley Works that's there & the amount of jobs they've supplied has dropped over the years. Manufacturing isn't coming back & I wish they'd do something to get people back to work there. Over by Burritt Street there's warehouses that just sit empty and shuttered & I think this is what comes to mind when people think of NB. The school system has also seen better days. Granted, things are better than when that drive-by shooting took place outside the high school, but they still havea ways to go. That aside, the other public amenities like the libraries, parks, the museum (which is free on saturday mornings ) are great.

So you have the good and the bad. I can see why people would put NB on the bottom of their list, but IMO they should also take a look at some of the things it has to offer. It's also nowhere nearly as dangerous as Hartford or New Haven.
Well I am the one that live on the East Side LOL yea I have seen my community gone down over the years. Although I have walk at night with no problem. I seen somethings at night that could be going on, still a low risk on myself, but high risk to witness something.

It is not just Stanley works, we have Guidas and that Ice Cream factory. I think Mayor Timothy has done a good job with New Britain and would hate to see him go. And I do not know what is the update with Costco that wants to add 200 jobs in New Britain, which I support the proposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 AM
 
Location: W Hartford, CT
1,787 posts, read 3,445,507 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
It is not just Stanley works, we have Guidas and that Ice Cream factory. I think Mayor Timothy has done a good job with New Britain and would hate to see him go. And I do not know what is the update with Costco that wants to add 200 jobs in New Britain, which I support the proposal.
And Avery's soda too!. Good stuff.

I would've supported the Costco deal if it didn't involve gobbling up vast amounts of open space that abuts a public golf course. At a time when undisturbed land is growing scarce in this state, we should be preserving it, not Los Angelizing it. The same congestion and craziness that you see with WalMart will now be impacting this area. I would have supported this if they put it in the old WalMart on FarmingtonAve - it would have occupied an area that's sat vacant for years and preserved what little open space remains in NB. I understand the need to provide jobs, especially in this current economic climate, but they could have struck a better deal if they did this and maintained the aesthetic appeal of that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Republic of New England
633 posts, read 1,208,334 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
And Avery's soda too!. Good stuff.

I would've supported the Costco deal if it didn't involve gobbling up vast amounts of open space that abuts a public golf course. At a time when undisturbed land is growing scarce in this state, we should be preserving it, not Los Angelizing it. The same congestion and craziness that you see with WalMart will now be impacting this area. I would have supported this if they put it in the old WalMart on FarmingtonAve - it would have occupied an area that's sat vacant for years and preserved what little open space remains in NB. I understand the need to provide jobs, especially in this current economic climate, but they could have struck a better deal if they did this and maintained the aesthetic appeal of that area.
Yea I can understand that but I dont think farmington ave was a good location for Wal-Mart (might be too small, too) Unless they do it where Shaws used to be on West Main Street . Either way I didnt think Wal-Mart wasnt good for New Britain because I personally believed that it can hurt small business in this town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 AM
 
Location: W Hartford, CT
1,787 posts, read 3,445,507 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
Either way I didnt think Wal-Mart wasnt good for New Britain because I personally believed that it can hurt small business in this town.
And I'm worried that that's what Costco will now do. Here's hoping the little guy still has a chance one this store opens. Maybe three times a year I go to Target if I really need something. Otherwise I'll shop at a smaller, family-owned business with one or a handful of local locations, even if it means paying a bit more for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Republic of New England
633 posts, read 1,208,334 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
And I'm worried that that's what Costco will now do. Here's hoping the little guy still has a chance one this store opens. Maybe three times a year I go to Target if I really need something. Otherwise I'll shop at a smaller, family-owned business with one or a handful of local locations, even if it means paying a bit more for it.
Yea I heard some Concerned about that... but we dont have a lot of Costco in our area though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 AM
 
521 posts, read 971,748 times
Reputation: 227
Default Yes, and E. Hartford has become like that to a large degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
are there any sizeable cities in CT that aren't at least somewhat ghetto? i find that pretty pathetic, for being the most wealthy state. goes to show that people with money don't support the community, besides putting their name on a stadium here or a bridge there.

They were saying too, on the newspaper, that the chief of Police gets $160,000 in the town of E. Hartford. If it's regarded as an unsafe town, then obviously the crime rate is significant!
Also, the mayor, Mayor LeClerc, who is running again for re-election this Tuesday, declared East Hartford, a SAFE town in a newspaper article not long ago!
Obviously that's not so. I wonder why a police chief should be paid so very very high a salary for a town that's thought of as one of the least safest towns to live in, in the state of Connecticut.
I've talked to several people from E. Hartford and they said it was a horrible (as in dangerous) place to live now! It seems like they are living in a ghetto in various parts of the town. They said, even in the nice upscale parts of town, there's lots of crimes being committed that the police just turn their backs on. That's bad news. I'm sorry to hear that Hartford is thought of as such an unsafe town too. That's sad for Hartford. I remember the north end of Hartford was never considered safe, but it used to not be true for the whole town.
That's no longer true now though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 AM
 
521 posts, read 971,748 times
Reputation: 227
Manchester, which once, used to be a very safe town, has really gone downhill in the past few years too.
Why, not sure, but I do know they invited all this whole numbers of Section 8 housing people to the area, and it's just not the same place anymore.

My friend lives in Manchester and he says you cannot safely walk around at night in his neighborhood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,726 posts, read 17,960,947 times
Reputation: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
They were saying too, on the newspaper, that the chief of Police gets $160,000 in the town of E. Hartford. If it's regarded as an unsafe town, then obviously the crime rate is significant!
Also, the mayor, Mayor LeClerc, who is running again for re-election this Tuesday, declared East Hartford, a SAFE town in a newspaper article not long ago!
Obviously that's not so. I wonder why a police chief should be paid so very very high a salary for a town that's thought of as one of the least safest towns to live in, in the state of Connecticut.
I've talked to several people from E. Hartford and they said it was a horrible (as in dangerous) place to live now! It seems like they are living in a ghetto in various parts of the town. They said, even in the nice upscale parts of town, there's lots of crimes being committed that the police just turn their backs on. That's bad news. I'm sorry to hear that Hartford is thought of as such an unsafe town too. That's sad for Hartford. I remember the north end of Hartford was never considered safe, but it used to not be true for the whole town.
That's no longer true now though.
That's not an unusual salary for a police chief. Police chiefs are not paid more in safer towns. If that were the case, NYPD officers in bad precincts would be paid very little, which is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM
 
521 posts, read 971,748 times
Reputation: 227
well, whether it's the case or not, the town itself is not a safe place to live or even visit in many spots, from what I've heard from the natives there.
Considering the unemployment rate is at least 9% in CT now, I don't why people in the town of E. Hartford should have to pay that much for a police chief who is obviously not going a good job to see the town stays safe. I've heard from many natives of that town that was a pretty safe place to live only a few years ago! You ought to get what you pay for, imho.
I do believe too, that in the newspaper article it said he only got about $100,000/year for salary, but then he retired and got hired again and now makes $160,000, or something similar.
the Town Official Susan Knief, or Kniep, I do believe her name is, reported these findings. It's legal for the state residents to know what the town officials make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top