U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:22 PM

14 posts, read 31,035 times

Advertisements

Is there a good town right at the center of this commute? I am thinking Hamden.

My wife might get a job in Norwalk and I work in Glastonbury. What are my options? I would be renting.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 PM

804 posts, read 1,380,351 times
I used to do this commute daily until I decided to move to Norwalk. The slowest part of it is from Norwalk to about Bridgeport area on 95 and then from Norwalk to "The Tunnel" somewhere around North Haven on the Merritt. It would take only once for you to do this commute during rush hour to understand. 91 to the Wilber Cross - Merritt is the best route. Find somewhere close to this. I'd say take the connector in Milford to 95 when it's snowy/bad weather/heavy traffic on Merritt.

Hamden looks good geographically but time wise you're in the advantage. You can fly while your wife nudges along in heavier traffic on Merritt or 95, there's no quick way out of that mess for her. I would try Shelton, Orange, or Milford. See if that is fair to both of you; if fair is what you're aiming for.

There was more construction when I was doing that commute, it might have gotten faster.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:19 AM

8,831 posts, read 14,237,793 times
Unfortunately, because of traffic patterns, halfway would be pretty unfair to your wife; you'd be better off living closer to Norwalk and dealing with the longer (distance-wise) commute to Glastonbury.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:23 AM

15,742 posts, read 21,996,197 times
Trumbull, Shelton, Milford or Orange. It's closer to Norwalk but the drive is easier to Glastonbury.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 AM

14,722 posts, read 17,944,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Trumbull, Shelton, Milford or Orange. It's closer to Norwalk but the drive is easier to Glastonbury.
Agreed. Hamden is too far.

Train might be a good option to Norwalk if your office is convenient to it or has a shuttle for bad traffic days.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:27 PM

24,587 posts, read 40,140,661 times
I would suggest loiving closer to Norwalk than Glastonbury. The traffic into Norwalk is terrible so I would live closer to there so that it would minimize the time your wife has to drive (assuming her commeute would be by car). I would look in the Bridgeport Stratford Milford area. Jay

Old 11-02-2011, 12:36 PM

15,742 posts, read 21,996,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would suggest loiving closer to Norwalk than Glastonbury. The traffic into Norwalk is terrible so I would live closer to there so that it would minimize the time your wife has to drive (assuming her commeute would be by car). I would look in the Bridgeport Stratford Milford area. Jay
Lights on? Welcome back.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:42 AM

6,130 posts, read 4,088,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234oj View Post
Is there a good town right at the center of this commute? I am thinking Hamden.

My wife might get a job in Norwalk and I work in Glastonbury. What are my options? I would be renting.

Thanks,

Woodbridge. Avoid Dixwell Ave in Hamden. Your commute to Glastonbury will be a lot better then her's to Norwalk, and the Wilbur Cross after the Milford parkway extension to 95 (exit 54) isn't that backed up and crowded, so the closer you can get to Sikorsky Bridge without going into Fairfield county the better off. The Merritt between the bridge and Stamford is an absolute mess.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 PM

24,587 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Lights on? Welcome back.
Sadly no. I am working out of New Haven and then heading back to the "war zone". It is almost a completely different world. New Haven is like nothing happened and Glastonbury is like still dark. Not fun. Jay

Old 11-15-2011, 07:54 PM

14 posts, read 31,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
I used to do this commute daily until I decided to move to Norwalk. The slowest part of it is from Norwalk to about Bridgeport area on 95 and then from Norwalk to "The Tunnel" somewhere around North Haven on the Merritt. It would take only once for you to do this commute during rush hour to understand. 91 to the Wilber Cross - Merritt is the best route. Find somewhere close to this. I'd say take the connector in Milford to 95 when it's snowy/bad weather/heavy traffic on Merritt.

Hamden looks good geographically but time wise you're in the advantage. You can fly while your wife nudges along in heavier traffic on Merritt or 95, there's no quick way out of that mess for her. I would try Shelton, Orange, or Milford. See if that is fair to both of you; if fair is what you're aiming for.

There was more construction when I was doing that commute, it might have gotten faster.
Thanks for pointing that out the traffic difference.. I would have not known that.
Is Asnonia a good town? seems that there are reasonable amount of rentals on offer. Any specific areas to avoid?
Milford, Shelton, Orange - are there any areas that we should avoid.

thanks in advance!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or