U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2011, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Branford
1,128 posts, read 971,575 times
Reputation: 292

Advertisements

First off I feel for anyone who lost power in the recent storm. My mother went a week during Irene and just got her power back from the recent storm. Something is not right when I believe a non-profit electricity provider puts CL&P and U.I to shame.

Wallingford Electric which is run by the town has the cheapest electric rates in New England. Almost half the price of CL&P and U.I. and provide top notch reliable electricity. For most residents paying the highest electric rates in the continental U.S something is just not right.

They are out every spring/summer trimming trees and replacing infasctructure. They just removed 2 entire trees on my property this summer (and left me the wood for my woodstove!) and were trimming any branches they though might be a hazard to lines.

The only time I lost power was because they were replacing a aging line on my street and actually left me a notice on my door letting me know.

The recent storm they had the entire town back up within 48 hours and then offered their crews to CL&P and U.I. to help.

Just found some info online where Wallingford and other municpial electric providers increase spending every year on maintenance. CL&P just cut maintenance from 2008-2010 by 26 percent.

Here is what Wallingford electric charges.


CUSTOMER SERVICE CHARGE: $11.00


ENERGY CHARGE

First 700 kWh Over 700 kWh
Summer
$0.1114 per kWh $0.1177 per kWh
Winter
$0.0979 per kWh $0.0945 per kW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 AM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 17,962,681 times
Reputation: 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
First off I feel for anyone who lost power in the recent storm. My mother went a week during Irene and just got her power back from the recent storm. Something is not right when I believe a non-profit electricity provider puts CL&P and U.I to shame.

Wallingford Electric which is run by the town has the cheapest electric rates in New England. Almost half the price of CL&P and U.I. and provide top notch reliable electricity. For most residents paying the highest electric rates in the continental U.S something is just not right.

They are out every spring/summer trimming trees and replacing infasctructure. They just removed 2 entire trees on my property this summer (and left me the wood for my woodstove!) and were trimming any branches they though might be a hazard to lines.

The only time I lost power was because they were replacing a aging line on my street and actually left me a notice on my door letting me know.

The recent storm they had the entire town back up within 48 hours and then offered their crews to CL&P and U.I. to help.

Just found some info online where Wallingford and other municpial electric providers increase spending every year on maintenance. CL&P just cut maintenance from 2008-2010 by 26 percent.

Here is what Wallingford electric charges.


CUSTOMER SERVICE CHARGE: $11.00


ENERGY CHARGE

First 700 kWh Over 700 kWh
Summer
$0.1114 per kWh $0.1177 per kWh
Winter
$0.0979 per kWh $0.0945 per kW
Few things at play here. (And yes I had a business in Wallingford, and have family pretty high up in the government structure there directly involved with public works.)

First would be scale. Wallingford Electric does not have the extreme areas to service as CLP. They just take care of their town, and that's it.

Second, they are in essence tax payer funded by the residents of Wallignford. So some of your "cheap" electricity is paid through your property taxes. (Employees are in fact town of Wallingford Employees and not Wallingford Electric.)

Third, they work hand in hand with DPW for support which makes things a LOT easier for tree removal etc. (BTW the guys who trimmed the trees were more likely the DPW guys.)

Not forming an opinion either way. Just looking at things from a big picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 AM
 
2,886 posts, read 2,881,397 times
Reputation: 1419
They also benefit from low tree density and lots of big box stores as opposed to picturesque landscapes. Also those prices are not even close to half of what I pay at cl&p. My calculations show an 8% savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Branford
1,128 posts, read 971,575 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Few things at play here. (And yes I had a business in Wallingford, and have family pretty high up in the government structure there directly involved with public works.)

First would be scale. Wallingford Electric does not have the extreme areas to service as CLP. They just take care of their town, and that's it.

Second, they are in essence tax payer funded by the residents of Wallignford. So some of your "cheap" electricity is paid through your property taxes. (Employees are in fact town of Wallingford Employees and not Wallingford Electric.)

Third, they work hand in hand with DPW for support which makes things a LOT easier for tree removal etc. (BTW the guys who trimmed the trees were more likely the DPW guys.)

Not forming an opinion either way. Just looking at things from a big picture.
Thanks. Great response. I believe they are town employees. I dont think its tax based though and the taxes compared to other areas around here are still pretty cheap. There is still a huge business tax base here. The cheap electric rates are a huge boost for the town. A lot of company's have relocated here especially heavy electrical industrial users. I believe they also offer some kind of incentive where new business get reduced power rates for the first year.

Also, Wallingford is part of the CMEEC (Connecticut Municipal Electrical Energy Company) Groton is part of it and Electric Boat and the Navy Subarmine Base are the highest users of it. Electric rates have a huge influence on business. There was recent article in the local paper about a metal company relocating from Meriden. They cut their taxes in half and saved a enormous amount on their power expenses.

My friend is a lineman and he said there is a world of difference though in electical infastructre in town. You can visually see it. Some of the lines/infastructue on CL&P and U.I are so outdated. Some of the infastructure is 50+ years old.

Upon further reasearch I think Wallinford electric is around 33% to 43% percent cheaper. 8% percent? I posted the rates. They show a bar graph compared to CLP&P and U.I. on their quaterly newsletters and it visually looks to be about half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Branford
1,128 posts, read 971,575 times
Reputation: 292
Can't find recent data but this was taken form 2006 and was a state run report.

Per KWH residential.

Wallingford

8. 6 summer, 7. 6 non-summer (as of October 1)

United Illuminating

ELECTRIC UTILITY AND PROPERTY TAX ISSUES

15. 21 (summer) 14. 46 (non-summer)

CL&P

14. 54

My bill is simple.

Customer service charge
Per KWH/Usage
Energy Conservation fund (usually about a dollar)

I looked at my moms CL&P bill. There are so many different charges its crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 10:37 AM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 17,962,681 times
Reputation: 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Thanks. Great response. I believe they are town employees. I dont think its tax based though and the taxes compared to other areas around here are still pretty cheap.
They are indeed town employees and yes, they are indeed paid through town payroll. Trust me, I'm not guessing, I was just having this conversation with the director of public works in Wallingford. One of their guys recently transferred to the "electric division".

That has a huge impact on rates as labor is not having to be 100% factored into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
62,745 posts, read 45,138,119 times
Reputation: 10055
I think Viridian Energy is another option for other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 12:11 PM
 
2,886 posts, read 2,881,397 times
Reputation: 1419
Woah on referencing a 2006 report on prices. Stale and irrelevant data points. Two other comments and corrections. The first being that Wallingford Electric got equally crushed following Irene. I was a bit surprised by their struggles since they are not a rural city/community. My in laws went two additional days without power compared with Wilton following Irene. Also- despite note being a fan of cl&p, your math is flat out wrong. I'm paying 9.48 cents per kwh. All year long- not a seasonal split. So that actually makes cl&p the cheaper energy supplier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,318 posts, read 17,304,337 times
Reputation: 3236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I think Viridian Energy is another option for other areas.
Viridian is expensive. I saved money for a few months until the promotional rate expired. After that, I was paying more than UI's rate. I get my power from Con Edison now and it's a significant savings. Dominion is cheap too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2011, 04:50 AM
 
2,886 posts, read 2,881,397 times
Reputation: 1419
So Wallingford Electric got smoked after Irene and isn't cheaper. Move along....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top