Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:33 PM

17 posts, read 21,817 times

Advertisements

Hi, really need lots of tips and advice please!

we have the opportunity to move to CT for 3 years, my husband will work in Suffield. We have been advised Simsbury is a good area to live in but thats all I know.

we have 2 boys, aged 5 & 7 so schooling is really important to us, we would like ammenties such as shops, groceries, a gym, cafes within easy distance.

I have read that CT is an expensive state to live in, what does this actually mean?!

I also read that Hartford has a lot of crime?!

please can you give us good safe areas to suit a young family relocating from the UK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 01:59 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Yep, Simsbury, Canton, and Avon are good towns. They don't have a huge amount of shops and restaurants though and are more rural. Farmington and West Hartford have much more amenities and also have very good schools. The commute will be a little longer, but not too bad.

Hartford does have a lot of crime, but only concentrated in certain areas. If you live in the aforementioned towns and work in Suffield, you'll never need to go into those areas.

CT is expensive. The Hartford area is not the most expensive part of the state by any means, but is still more expensive than most parts of the US. This goes for taxes, property values and general cost of living.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:37 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Why not live in Suffield itself? Great schools and a nice small town where everyone knows everyone. They have a grocery store, pharmacy, and a few small restaurants in town. The mall in Enfield is only a 10 to 15 minute drive and best of all you would have a very short commute!!

If you are renting you will be able to find a 3 bedroom house for somewhere between $1700 and 2400 a month. You may or may not find this expensive depending on where you are coming from.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:18 PM

156 posts, read 278,045 times
Coming from Europe you should find CT cheap!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Guy View Post
Coming from Europe you should find CT cheap!
My thoughts exactly.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:08 AM

thanks guys for feedback

Old 11-11-2011, 02:26 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
From where in England are you moving? We have dear friends in West Hartford who are moving to near London for father's job for two to three years - they have a very nice house in West Hartford, which is commutable to Suffield and has good schools, great place to live. Maybe you could just trade for three years! They are moving in January.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:28 AM

we're in East Yorkshire, which is near York city Centre about 30 mins away. West Hartford keeps coming up, I'll have to look into it more.
thanks for your response

Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
West Hartford has a large concentration of educated professionals, and is ethnically diverse. More varied and tolerant population than rural towns. Because a lot of it was developed over 50 years ago, much of it is more densely populated than other nearby towns to the west and north. Prices are higher for housing, but you get more town services. The town has many public facilities - a beautiful pool and skating complex, golf course, lots of parks, one with a barn and animals, excellent libraries, good schools, even a "leisure services" department with tons of inexpensive activities offered for kids and adults. If you have young children, all you will have to do is start taking them to town classes and activities, or enroll them in one of the many good nursery schools in town, and you will quickly find a social community. BUT... you have to be careful where you choose to live. The southeast section of the town has become more like Hartford, with inner city issues. If what you are looking for is privacy in a house with acres of land around it, live in Suffield. If what you want is a vibrant town center with all of the stimulating activities of a densely populated, well-educated community, choose West Hartford. It's certainly possible to rent a large private home on a quiet suburban street in WH, but you're going to pay more than in Suffield, for less house.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM

thank you "parentolgist", excellent information I really appreciate it. West Hartford defintley appeals to me so far. My children are 5 & 7 and I want to keep busy with them, I dont want to get in the trap of living somewhere more rural and once having dropped them at school I go back to a lonely house in a quiet community. I will need to throw myself into meeting people and by the sounds of things West Hartford has everything on my tick list. (how far is west hartford from Hartford? when i was researching areas Hartford did flag up concerns about crime and safety etc, which is why i was intially put off and stuck to the more rural locations - thanks v. much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut