U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:38 PM

14,596 posts, read 17,749,590 times

Advertisements

This bad boy has served me well, and folds into a tiny ball:

Patagonia Men's Down Sweater Jacket

The 375 positive reviews speak for themselves. It's amazingly warm for its size, yet works in warmer temps too. It's really versatile.

Uniqlo makes a cheaper version, not sure how it compares: UNIQLO Premium down ultra light jacket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 02:19 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,124,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
An inexpensive and ugly one, if you're intending to venture around Hartford very much.
Was that you I saw on the corner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Agreed.

I wear skirts to work regularly in the winter and just dart in and out of buildings in a normal coat with nothing but tights on my legs. If your calves are that sensitive, get tall, warm Sorel-style boots you can change out of and into coming to/from work.
Of you can just wear these:

Who knows she might get a raise.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:28 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,154,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Was that you I saw on the corner?
What i meant was, don't wear anything expensive in the 'hood. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Of you can just wear these:
Who knows she might get a raise.
I don't know about get, but she gave somebody one.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 11-07-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 07:17 PM

804 posts, read 1,371,445 times
In my opinion, your best bet is to dress in layers (never gets old).

You can buy a 3 system jacket that usually consists of a warm fleece or insulated liner jacket and also a very thin shell/water proof/rain jacket. These two connect to each other through interlocking zippers or you can wear them separately depending on conditions.

I never found a good all in one jacket like that so my system was a North Face fleece with a waterproof shell on top, I think it's Mountain Hardware Gortex.

If you stay in the same brand like North Face, some of their pieces are made to interlock with other pieces.

If you have to dress professionally, a long wool coat, scarf, and sweater will do. This will all be ruined during a blizzard though.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 AM

64,290 posts, read 46,654,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne1551 View Post
I am a southerner who will be working in Hartford for the next few months.

What kind of coat should I buy
None.

After a couple years you'll be immuned and never need one like me. LOL. I can be out in a blizzard and 10 degrees all I need is a T-Shirt, A thin Long sleeve shirt and a Sweatshirt.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:36 AM

1,292 posts, read 2,066,064 times
probably none right now - at least for the next few days. one thing about CT, it is way too prone to 70 flippin degrees in Nov.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 AM

13,262 posts, read 34,298,028 times
I have no fashion advice, because I'm a slob and don't really care what's "in" and what "isn't" and I'm more comfortable in ratty stretched sweatpants than anything else.

But for just general "getting from the car in the garage, out to the street, down two blocks to work, and into my work building" in the winter, my recommendation is this:

Whatever you wear, add a tight sweater over the shirt. Button-down. Then, wrap a scarf around your neck, and let the ends fall flat over your chest. Add to that, a full-zipper hoodie. Add to that, a ski vest or fleece vest. Carry any "business jacket" over your arm; it's useless outside. Wear sweat socks, and make sure you have -warm- boots that cover your ankles. Carry your dress shoes and stuff a pair of dress socks in your hoodie pocket if you need them. Wear a thin pair of gloves (such as thinsulate with spandex), and add a thicker pair of fingerless leather gloves over them.

Once you get to the door of your workplace, shrug off all the outer layers, toss the dress jacket on, change your shoes and socks, and carry that big huge bundle of stuff into the office in a fashionable tote bag.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 AM

17,668 posts, read 16,865,289 times
It doesn't have to be complicated. It's just for a few months and you don't want to go broke. Make sure you have warm gloves. Add a wool or down filled jacket. Boots would be nice but maybe you could get by if you're working inside. A hat is nice to keep your ears warm.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 34,298,028 times
The poster was concerned about his legs being cold. Rather than get a ski-suit, which is pretty much the only thing that'll keep his legs warm and not look like someone in the Flashdance movie, I figure keeping your -feet- warm (with ankle-boots and sweatsocks) is the next best thing. When your feet are toastie, the rest of you doesn't feel nearly as bad as when your feet are cold.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:25 PM

832 posts, read 1,311,184 times
I have shearling boots now, but I went years just wearing sneakers in the winter and it was totally fine. The only time that hasn't worked for me is while shoveling snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or