U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:58 PM

2,067 posts, read 2,326,404 times

Advertisements

Agree with Jay. I'm a West Hartford resident who had occasion to spend several nights in downtown Hartford recently...at hotels due to the power outage! I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. While there is still not much open on weekends, there is a good amount of activity in the evenings, especially on Trumbull/Main. Did not feel unsafe walking around. Even enjoyed a nice dinner at City Steam one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM

13 posts, read 12,584 times
Hi JayCT,

Thanks for the info, I also look into Manchester. Do you have any suggestions about where to live there, like apartments and such.

I've been calling around different places. Called two in downtown Hartford,
Bushnell and Main & Temple. Kind of pricey specially since parking is extra.
Are there any nice apartment buildings close enough that are reasonable.

Still looking into West Hartford too.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:52 PM

24,706 posts, read 40,305,911 times
There are a coule of nice complexes in the Buckland Hills area that are nice. The Vintage, Waterford Commons, Aspen Woods and the Pavillons are nice complexes but be aware the area has a lot of traffic particularly during the holiday season.

There is also The Mills which include a couple of different mill buildings converted to apartments near the center of downtown Manchester. These include The Ribbon Mill, the Velvet Mill, the Clocktower Mill and the Lofts. They are very nice and not too expensive. Jay

Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 AM

Hi Everyone,

So a couple of questions.

Work place is pretty close to Bradley International Airport.

So if I live in West Hartford what kind of traffic am I looking at?
I'm kind of flexible with my work hours so when would I have to get
in and out to avoid traffic? Google says around 30 minutes commute without
traffic.

And the same question for Manchester?

Someone was also suggesting South Windsor. Would you recommend living there? And if you have any suggestions, what apartment buildings are nice there.

As for the commute from South Windsor to work. They told me 15 minutes but google says something around 30. I guess it's because most of the way is not highway or anything.

Are any of these commutes really bad in terms of snow not getting cleared up in the winter?

Thanks!!!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Anytime you live far from where you work you have the chance of the commute being long when it snows. There really is no way to quantify how long that commute would be in snow condiitons. Sometimes it will be a few minutes more, sometimes an hour more.

South Windsor is a very nice suburban family-oriented town but it does not have a lot of rental apartment complexes. There are a number of condo complexes but you would need to locate them as they come on the market.

The commute from Manchester to the Bradley area in the morning can get a little slow crossing the Connecticut River on I-291 but once past there it should not be a problem. I can't imagine it taking more than 5 or 10 minutes longer. From the Buckland Hills area to Bradley would take about 20 minutes without traffic, maybe 30 minutes with traffic. If you live in the southenr end of Manchester though, that could 10 moreminutes to your commute. Jay

Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks JayCT!!

Would west hartford be any better?

Also I'm looking at a few apartments in downtown hartford.
I would think that living in downtown hartford I would be going against the traffic so it would be better. What do you think?

Anyone around here can share their experience living in downtown hartford?
For example around the are of Bushnell on the Park apartments or the Park place tower apartments. Thanks!

Last edited by Peyman1; 11-17-2011 at 12:51 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Commuting from downtown Hartford would not be bad at all. I have a coworker that does that (only to Glastonbury) and it is not hard at all. He lives on Bushnell Park and says he loves it.

Please note that Park Place Towers is not downtown. It is over in Parkville and I am not sure that is the best area to consider. It certainly is not the same as downtown for convenience and walkability. JMHO, Jay

Old 11-17-2011, 01:41 PM

When you say not the best area to consider do you also mean in terms
of safety? Or just walkability

Old 11-17-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyman1 View Post
When you say not the best area to consider do you also mean in terms
of safety? Or just walkability
Both. The area is a bit isolated. Jay

Old 11-17-2011, 03:42 PM

2,067 posts, read 2,326,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyman1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

So a couple of questions.

Work place is pretty close to Bradley International Airport.

So if I live in West Hartford what kind of traffic am I looking at?
I'm kind of flexible with my work hours so when would I have to get
in and out to avoid traffic? Google says around 30 minutes commute without
traffic.

And the same question for Manchester?

Someone was also suggesting South Windsor. Would you recommend living there? And if you have any suggestions, what apartment buildings are nice there.

As for the commute from South Windsor to work. They told me 15 minutes but google says something around 30. I guess it's because most of the way is not highway or anything.

Are any of these commutes really bad in terms of snow not getting cleared up in the winter?

Thanks!!!
From West Hartford to near Bradley--20-30 min is a good bet even in rush hour, if you live in the northern half of town. The good thing is you have the choice to avoid I-91 altogether (it's actually 218 to get to I-91 which is slow) by taking 187/189 which are never crowded. I do this quite frequently as I fly every other week (or so it seems)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut