U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-23-2011, 07:22 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,241,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
What does New Hampshire have to do with buying a car when they're moving to CT?
If you like saving a couple thousand dollars it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
New Hampshire has no sales tax and huge car dealerships near the Mass. border. Don't know how it would work with registering the car, though.
Well, basically, the way I've always done it is get the car a plate from the dealer in NH, then come to CT and do a reg transfer. For whatever reason, CT does not levy sales tax, they must think it's just a regi transfer. That may change soon since Malloy is turning over rocks looking for quarters.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 10:47 AM

197 posts, read 521,444 times
JViello,

Hi can you please provide me with some names and numbers of car dealers in NH you have dealt with? Looking to buy a used suv nothing fancy just reliable to hull stuff around.

Thank you and enjoy the holiday.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:38 AM

10,081 posts, read 6,618,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
New Hampshire has no sales tax and huge car dealerships near the Mass. border. Don't know how it would work with registering the car, though.
You pay the difference sales tax of the state you live in, not the state you buy the car in. At least if you live in CT or MA.

I bought a new car in Nashua, I should know.

Quote:
Out of State Purchases - Credit for sales tax paid out-of-state will be granted if the registrant provides supporting documentation (purchase invoice and tax receipt) showing submission of sales tax to the appropriate state agency. If the registrant paid less than 6.35% (or 7% for vehicles over $50,000) sales tax in another state they will be required to pay the additional tax to DMV when the vehicle is registered.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:43 AM

10,081 posts, read 6,618,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well, basically, the way I've always done it is get the car a plate from the dealer in NH, then come to CT and do a reg transfer. For whatever reason, CT does not levy sales tax, they must think it's just a regi transfer. That may change soon since Malloy is turning over rocks looking for quarters.
Is that technically legal?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 8,577 times
Quote:
no its not. You pay tax based on where you register the car. Unless he has a residence in NH and can get the car registered there when he buys it, then he needs to register it in CT and pay CT tax (even if it was purchased in NH).

bottom line... where you buy it is irrelevant for tax purposes. you pay the tax rate for the state where you will register the car. Meaning if you buy in CT and live in NH, you pay no tax. And if you buy in NH and are registering in CT, you'd owe CT tax.

I worked in the car biz for 7 years and did lots of cross-state sales.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:34 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,241,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomet View Post
JViello,

Hi can you please provide me with some names and numbers of car dealers in NH you have dealt with? Looking to buy a used suv nothing fancy just reliable to hull stuff around.

Thank you and enjoy the holiday.
Mitsubishi of Nashua and Toyota of Nashua are the two dealers I have done business with. No particular person.

Quote:
You pay the difference sales tax of the state you live in, not the state you buy the car in. At least if you live in CT or MA.

I bought a new car in Nashua, I should know.
New Hampshire dealers are not responsible to collect sales tax for another state. Are you saying they charged you CT sales tax?

All I did was get a temp tag and then went to the CT DMV when I got here. They didn't ask, I didn't say otherwise.

Quote:
Sure, why not? If I own a car in another state, I am not charged sales tax when I transfer that reg to CT, so what's the difference. It's a gray area, just like MA would LOVE to get people to pay sales tax on things they purchase in NH, they can't. But they try.

But then again, remember you are supposed to report any online sales you make out of state and pay the sales tax to CT...you did that right.

I register my trucks over 10K gross vehicle weight...anything over 10K is emissions exempt. Is it legal? Well, I can tell you it's NOT illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_s View Post
no its not. You pay tax based on where you register the car. Unless he has a residence in NH and can get the car registered there when he buys it, then he needs to register it in CT and pay CT tax (even if it was purchased in NH).

bottom line... where you buy it is irrelevant for tax purposes. you pay the tax rate for the state where you will register the car. Meaning if you buy in CT and live in NH, you pay no tax. And if you buy in NH and are registering in CT, you'd owe CT tax.

I worked in the car biz for 7 years and did lots of cross-state sales.
And I had a dealer's license for 3 years. On out of state transfers you do NOT pay sales tax. It's up to CT dealers to collect sales tax on new purchases, it's not up to MA and NH dealers, nor can they issue CT tags or collect revenue for another state.

It's up to the DMV of CT to determine whether to tax or not, I'd argue they can kiss my olive skinned ass if they think I'm going to pay sales tax on something purchased in another state. Nothing was sold in CT.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:44 PM

657 posts, read 427,886 times
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. It is still quite relevant.

I am on the hunt for a Used Car. I have noticed that the actual pricetag of vehicles (prior to Fees, Taxes and Registration) are much lower in NJ and MA. Why is that? The pricetag seems to be much higher in CT and high'ish in NY. These are pure observations - nothing scientific.

I haven't looked at New Hampshire dealers yet. Should I be focusing my hunt on buying in NJ, MA or NH? My logic is that if I am charged CT Sales Tax regardless of what state I purchase from, then does it really matter what state I buy it from (aside from finding the best deal)?

Also, it sounds like many people escape paying CT Sales Tax by simply transferring the Registration from one state to CT. I feel weird thinking about this "workaround" - wouldn't someone face severe jailtime for essentially defrauding the government?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 PM

13,838 posts, read 21,178,973 times
I can tell you I agree. Prices of used cars here are definitely higher here than in adjacent states. The only reason I see is the lack of competition.

When we were looking for a Certified Used Car, I did a 100 mile search for a vehicle. I found a very low mileage car on Long Island and saved about $4,000 over similar cars that were older and had more miles. When I was looking around here I showed this vehicle plus several others that were available to a couple of local dealers and none were willing to even come close to matching these vehicles. I found the same thing when we were looking at new vehicles in the past. One car I ended up paying about $500 more than a dealer was willing to give me in Rhode Island but another car I also bought in New York to save money. Jay

Old 09-10-2012, 01:13 PM

657 posts, read 427,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I can tell you I agree. Prices of used cars here are definitely higher here than in adjacent states. The only reason I see is the lack of competition.

When we were looking for a Certified Used Car, I did a 100 mile search for a vehicle. I found a very low mileage car on Long Island and saved about $4,000 over similar cars that were older and had more miles. When I was looking around here I showed this vehicle plus several others that were available to a couple of local dealers and none were willing to even come close to matching these vehicles. I found the same thing when we were looking at new vehicles in the past. One car I ended up paying about $500 more than a dealer was willing to give me in Rhode Island but another car I also bought in New York to save money. Jay
Weird how that is. You would think with sellers lined up everywhere all throughout Connecticut (e.g. along the Post Road in Milford) that competition is stiff. I suppose many people don't necessarily take the extra step to shop in MA, NJ, NH, NY, etc. and the CT dealers are able to price it based on their actual Supply and Demand.

JayCT - Did you have to pay Sales Tax in CT after transferring the Registration from CT? It seems like most people successfully dodge it because CT doesn't actually pursue the "entire" sales tax or even the "difference of" in sales tax.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:30 PM

13,838 posts, read 21,178,973 times
The dealer I bought at had places here in Connecticut so they did everything including registering the vehicle. The sales tax I paid was to Connecticut, not New York. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut