Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:35 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,874 times

Advertisements

We just put in an offer on a rental there, as you may know from prior posts we'll be relocating from Long Island. Thanks to all of you we found a great place at a great price in Stratford.

The house has oil. I'd love to hear your recommendations for oil companies.

What do I need to know coming to Stratford?

Recommendations for dry cleaners, gyms, pizza/delivery places etc etc etc.

Talk to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 02:22 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
The Edge in Stratford is a good gym.

I hear Salerno's Apizza is very good. Pepe's in Fairfield (the best there is), Jimmy's Apizza and Papa's Pizza in Milford are also good. You have Gaetano's Deli in Stratford which is IMO the best deli in the region. Bobette's in Milford has great soups, Joey C's for BBQ/tex-mex, Liquid Lunch for sandwiches, Cafe Atlantique for a coffee shop. There's several great restaurants: Biagio's Osteria in Stratford (they also have a food truck for more casual takeout at the Milford train station), Bin 100, Citrus and Bistro Basque, Epernay just to name a few. Danny's Drive-In in Stratford is a good casual fast food joint, Jake's Wayback Burgers aren't bad. There are lots of food options in Stratford, and even more in Milford and Fairfield - so you're covered.

Seems like a lot of people use Santa oil around here. Or Standard.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

I hear Salerno's Apizza is very good.
It isn't bad if you're looking for a "heavy" pizza.

Quote:
Pepe's in Fairfield (the best there is), Jimmy's Apizza and Papa's Pizza in Milford are also good.
Agree. The Vazzy's in Bridgeport, on the Stratford/Trumbull lines, does a decent thin crust as well.

Quote:
You have Gaetano's Deli in Stratford which is IMO the best deli in the region. Danny's Drive-In in Stratford is a good casual fast food joint.
Lots of people love Gaetano's. Their meats are too (italian) seasoned for my tastes though. Red Rooster would be my pick in Stratford. YMMV. Lots of people love Danny's also. I'd rather have Valley Farms in Bridgeport, near the Stratford line. Even better, but a bit further away, is the Merritt Canteen in Bridgeport.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Edge is great. The one in Milford or Fairfield is better but the Stratford one isn't bad.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,061 times
Salernos is great! So is Vazzy's! Different styles but good . I like stellas for the Food, but think the other places have Better pizza .Don't do your food shopping on Sat or Sun.. Both markets are bedlam on the weekend... I actually had a kooky lady plow her cart into my Achilles tendon when I was just walking in. Nights or weekdays are better. The seawall is awesome for relaxing. There a fantastic natural food store over by Burlington. There's a great Chinese place in the same strip mall as the movie theater.
Enjoy it... I miss it

Old 11-21-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It isn't bad if you're looking for a "heavy" pizza.

Agree. The Vazzy's in Bridgeport, on the Stratford/Trumbull lines, does a decent thin crust as well.

Lots of people love Gaetano's. Their meats are too (italian) seasoned for my tastes though. Red Rooster would be my pick in Stratford. YMMV. Lots of people love Danny's also. I'd rather have Valley Farms in Bridgeport, near the Stratford line. Even better, but a bit further away, is the Merritt Canteen in Bridgeport.
I've been told to try the Merritt Canteen for a while now. Gotta give in.

What do you think of Savin Rock? I like the location on the water for the summer, but don't know what to expect food-wise.

Any of the restaurants with water views any good? Mare Bello, Marnick's, etc?

The best food-with-a-view I've found in CT so far has been Dive Bar in West Haven. Great burgers and beer.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Papa's may be the most underrated pizza place in CT. It'a a hole in the wall (take out only) and doesn't look like much, but the pizza is fantastic.

Biagios is great. Never had a bad meal there. Also check out Il Palio in Shelton.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:39 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
I've been told to try the Merritt Canteen for a while now. Gotta give in.

What do you think of Savin Rock? I like the location on the water for the summer, but don't know what to expect food-wise.

Any of the restaurants with water views any good? Mare Bello, Marnick's, etc?

The best food-with-a-view I've found in CT so far has been Dive Bar in West Haven. Great burgers and beer.
I've never even bothered with Savin Rock because the ownership has had financial issues practically from day one. I thought they would have gone under by now. Marnicks is just basically along the lines of a place like Chick's in WH.

I'll probably never try Dive. The problem for me is that it's next to Oyster River Tavern, which for some reason i have a soft spot for.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,874 times
Thanks all!

Keep the suggestions and info coming, I really appreciate it!

you all are an excellent welcome wagon

Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I've never even bothered with Savin Rock because the ownership has had financial issues practically from day one. I thought they would have gone under by now. Marnicks is just basically along the lines of a place like Chick's in WH.

I'll probably never try Dive. The problem for me is that it's next to Oyster River Tavern, which for some reason i have a soft spot for.
Yeah? Oyster River looks nice but I could never find solid reviews for it. I guess I'll try it if you can vouch for it.

Dive Bar's burgers are really some of the best in the area, a notch below Prime 16. And they have some great microbrew beers on tap that rotate constantly. The garage door window they fitted in front that opens the whole place to the water was a brilliant move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut