Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:18 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Because you mentioned TX -- the property taxes are significantly higher there as a percent, and so are the sales taxes. There is no state income tax, but there are tolls on a lot of the roads. I didn't think we got as much for the tax money there. Here we have Metro North...there, the public transportation system is minimal. Our schools and libraries are better, too.
As a percentage, maybe, but that's because they're assessing homes at a fraction of what they're selling for. Basically, a random look showed me that a $260k home in Dallas is only paying 1k in property taxes. Is this a fluke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 07:26 AM

879 posts, read 1,659,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
As a percentage, maybe, but that's because they're assessing homes at a fraction of what they're selling for. Basically, a random look showed me that a $260k home in Dallas is only paying 1k in property taxes. Is this a fluke?
That's not correct. My parents' house would sell for around 200k and they pay around 6k in property taxes and 8.125% sales tax. (Dallas suburb)

Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
That's not correct. My parents' house would sell for around 200k and they pay around 6k in property taxes and 8.125% sales tax. (Dallas suburb)
That's actually pretty high. I'm not sure why Zillow has some homes in the 250 range assessed at 80k and only paying 850 in property taxes. Almost sounds like the way it's done in California - you could be paying 8k while your neighbor with a similar home paying $1500.

Even so, you don't have the nickel and diming taxes we have here. Google "largest tax increase in CT history" and see what's on the list.

My property taxes in Branford could be a mortgage in Texas.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 AM

879 posts, read 1,659,373 times
Quote:
That's actually pretty high. I'm not sure why Zillow has some homes in the 250 range assessed at 80k and only paying 850 in property taxes. Almost sounds like the way it's done in California - you could be paying 8k while your neighbor with a similar home paying $1500.

Even so, you don't have the nickel and diming taxes we have here. Google "largest tax increase in CT history" and see what's on the list.
Yeah, that's really odd. Maybe a really bad part of Dallas?? The ritzy homes in Highland Park that are valued at ~1MM pay around $25k a year in property tax

Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
The ritzy homes in Highland Park that are valued at ~1MM pay around $25k a year in property tax
That makes sense. Highland Park is one of the wealthiest cities in Texas and the country. A house assessed at 700k in West Hartford, CT is paying 28k.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Quote:
"but, but, but, all of those cheap states have hidden fees!"
Yea, like those back breaking $300 a year HOA fees to keep the pool and clubhouse in good shape. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
Hmmmm New York cut services now people dont have toliet pappers in public bathrooms
I'd bet the upper admins pulling down $175K per year for shining a seat didn't give up a dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Again, the teachers' union's frenzied PR to justify their obscene salaries, pensions and perks, while avoiding accountability for results. Look to the numbers. The Washington Post began ranking high schools nationwide this year. The "best" CT high schools rank in the 500s.

National Schools - Ranking America's High Schools 2011 - The Washington Post

US News and World Report also does a HS ranking, and CT fares no better.

This CT hype about "we are the best" is unsubstantiated at best. Taking the CT politicos and public trough-feeders at their word is an abdication of critical thinking, IMHO, and does not serve us well. This goes double for the hype that comes out of Congress.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:51 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Quote:
A cop in Memphis starts at $38,000. Manchester starts at $45,700. That's not a significant difference, and HARDLY enough to account for cost of living difference (you'd have to make over $52,000 in the Hartford area according to CNN's cost of living calculator).
Housing cost difference and property taxes (On vehicle and home) could EASILY be $1K more per month in Manchester over Memphis alone.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,130,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Again, the teachers' union's frenzied PR to justify their obscene salaries, pensions and perks, while avoiding accountability for results. Look to the numbers.
A teacher with 10 years of experience in Connecticut on average makes about $55,000. If you think that is obscene, I'd be interested in hearing what you earn. I think it's obscene that CEO's of unprofitable companies are making 100x what teachers earn and get a multimillion dollar bonus when they get canned.... But hell, we all have our "perspective"

Regarding the quality of education in Connecticut-- We certainly have the respect of the best colleges. (I'm sorry I lost sourcing for this) But Connecticut has the highest percentage of high school graduates in Ivy league schools.

Having gone to high school in Connecticut and college in Texas, I experienced the difference. The very best high schools in Texas compete with the very best in Connecticut--without question. However if you get in to the bottom 90% of high schools in the state, I would think you're really in for a surprise.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,098 times
Car tax is a biggie, I still in 7 years of living here don't understand the rationale of paying taxes on something like a car over and over again..a disincentive to me anyway to buy a new vehicle while living here, right now my vehicle taxes are down to about $250 a year. The new f150 I want would make my taxes jump to $782, I checked with the town tax assessor...are they insane??

But I came from Long Island, want to see some in same property taxes, go there, I think I mentioned on another thread somewhere. My sis lives in an average town, a newer ranch house up the block from her is for sale, or was a few monist ago, I forget the price, about $400k or so, and it is nothing fancy, close to a main street, and backyard borders a schoolyard... 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms on maybe a lot 50x100 maybe a little bigger?? Taxes, $14k. Squashed me moving there, that is for sure. I guess that's why teachers there make 100k after some time, police officers too.

Tolls in the NY/NJ area also absurd, GW bridge going to go to $20 I believe within 2 years. So imagine commuting from NY to Northern NJ for work driving?? $5k a year just for the bridge lol. NJ tpke tolls absurd too..

The tri state area is tax crazy, CT has it faults for sure but it is a nice place to live.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
I guess that's why teachers there make 100k after some time, police officers too.
Or that could be why they're high in the first place. What came first, the chicken or the egg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut