Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:00 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times

Advertisements

So Borcina is ok, but what he did was NOT ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:27 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
So Borcina is ok, but what he did was NOT ok.
What about the fact that now they are saying on the news that he was NOT a registered "remodeling contractor"???

Old 12-29-2011, 02:28 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
I saw that on the news too. This guy seems be a very questionable contractor. I wonder what the father of the girls is planning to do about this.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,874 times
Such a very tragic event. I can't imagine the pain Ms Badger is experiencing right now.

Here's a look at the house when it was listed before she purchased it.
2267 Shippan Avenue, Stamford CT - Trulia

Old 12-29-2011, 11:24 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Such a very tragic event. I can't imagine the pain Ms Badger is experiencing right now.
Well, I've seen reports that say, regarding how she's dealing with the tragedy, that her friends say she is a very strong person. Perhaps that's what Borcina meant by saying "We are going to be ok"?!

P.S. In the picture #6 linked above, I think I saw part of the fireplace on the left.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:32 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Here's a look at the house when it was listed before she purchased it.
2267 Shippan Avenue, Stamford CT - Trulia
I feel a little "ghoulish" looking at those pictures after the tragedy that occurred, but there's no denying it was a beautiful house. Such a shame for all involved, to say the least.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:07 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I feel a little "ghoulish" looking at those pictures after the tragedy that occurred, but there's no denying it was a beautiful house. Such a shame for all involved, to say the least.
I totally agree. One of the pictures shows a room with many books on the wall shelves. That's probably where the grandfather put one granddaughter on a pile of books. So sad to see the the pictures and imagine what it's like during the fire. What I'd like to see is the container where Borcina put the embers.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:07 AM

672 posts, read 2,113,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
You should ideally leave embers burn out for at least a day before removing them because while they may look gray and harmless, they still pose a significant fire hazard.

If you do dispose of them sooner, put them in a metal container and take 'em outside, away from your home.
Has anyone read about the 2 surviving adults experience with fireplace fires? As we get more "modern", common sense gets less and less common with things like fire. I am guessing very few "modern" people know how to start a fire without accelerant and put it out safely if they need to.

I grew up in a house with a fireplace and have a fireplace now. I have always left the embers in the fireplace (except for once). It was an emergency and I needed to leave but I had a small fire. After dousing the flames with ashes, I put the embers in a metal bucket, took them outside and drown them in the bucket with the garden hose.

I remember a coworker telling me how she put out a fire in her fireplace - a big bucket of cold water which cracked her fireplace.

So I guess I am trying to get at the idea that these folks may have been fireplace fire novices and it cost them dearly.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:34 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
Has anyone read about the 2 surviving adults experience with fireplace fires? As we get more "modern", common sense gets less and less common with things like fire. I am guessing very few "modern" people know how to start a fire without accelerant and put it out safely if they need to.

I grew up in a house with a fireplace and have a fireplace now. I have always left the embers in the fireplace (except for once). It was an emergency and I needed to leave but I had a small fire. After dousing the flames with ashes, I put the embers in a metal bucket, took them outside and drown them in the bucket with the garden hose.

I remember a coworker telling me how she put out a fire in her fireplace - a big bucket of cold water which cracked her fireplace.

So I guess I am trying to get at the idea that these folks may have been fireplace fire novices and it cost them dearly.
I saw a sign outside a local fire department that said, "If you have a fireplace, always remember that you are bringing FIRE inside your home."

I'm in NJ, but this was in the news so much and it haunted me. I once had a house fire when I was renting--lost everything, including our cat, but all the people were safe. (Furnace malfunctioned.) I can't imagine what this woman is going through or how she'll survive.

A few pages back, someone made the statement that these types of threads not only help people process such tragedies but also help us learn things that could prevent future horrors. We had a fire in NJ some years ago. A woman left a candle burning in her bedroom and ran to the supermarket. When she got back her house was engulfed in flames. They found the bodies of her husband and two sons at the top of the stairs. Since I read that story, if I light a candle, I blow it out if I am leaving the room, even if I am just going to use the bathroom or something.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Very sad indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut