Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 AM

428 posts, read 831,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I spent lots of time in downtown Greenwich when I lived there. There is an okay bar scene, but it's muted and toned down. While a good night out, I wouldn't call it lively and entertaining (no bands, no music, not much of a street presence - everyone indoors, sitting down, etc). Downtown Milford is lively and entertaining on the weekends.
I've never been to Milford to be honest. When I was a teen I used to be in a african american boat club based in Stamford and we'd go to Greenwich all the time, as an adult I have visited less, but they have bars that play jazz and other live music. But Greenwich has an excellent symphony orchestra, a great restaurant scene, and it's downtown is ok. You will notice in my original post, I put sometimes in parentheses next to Greenwich, I will agree it isn't consistently lively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:21 AM

209 posts, read 608,033 times
CT is one of the most spectacular states around. There's something to do in every season here. As far as crowded beaches, after living in overcrowded southern california for 15 years, the beaches here aren't crowded, nor is the traffic bad, trust me. There are plenty of things to do here besides shopping in the malls. I loathe the mall and never go there. Just to name a few things we have hiking all year around, boating in the summer, pumpkin and apple picking at local farms in the fall, not to mention cider donuts. We have local christmas trees to chop down at local farms at chriistmas time. We have local ski resorts within an hour of driving, we have snow shoeiing in the winer. Lots of glorious waterfalls and parks to hike and picnic in and/or take your dogs out. Local festivals in the late summer/fall. Not to mention fantastic scenery for weekend drives. Plus we are an hour or so from Manhattan or Boston if you want to get to the city. While I realize CT isn't for everyone but there is so much to do here for all 4 seasons so if one doesn't like the chill in the air or the long cold winters, than perhaps a move to a warmer climate is in the cards for you. We have lots to do all 4 seasons so there's never a dull moment or a lack of stuff to do. Not to mention all the fantastic eateries we have if you have worked up an appetite from hiking, skiing, running or biking.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:59 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post
the beaches here aren't crowded, nor is the traffic bad, trust me.
Tell that to my wife and I'd be bailing her out of jail. As someone who lived northwest of LA, I think I would consider regular 25 mile jams pretty damned bad. I'm tired of people who say "oh, it's not bad, such and such place is worse". Please. It's freaking bad.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 AM

LA is absolutely bad. I lived in southern california for 15 years; was warned about the traffic when we went there and its no joke. My boyfriend got to experience this first hand when we couldn't even get to Malibu or West Hollywood because it sucked so bad. The San Diego freeway could not possibly be any wider and it still doesn't help. Put things in perspective for me here thats for sure. Not that I'd want to move back to LA but If I ever did, I'd have a hard time convincing the boyfriend cause the traffic scared him lol.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
LA is absolutely bad. I lived in southern california for 15 years; was warned about the traffic when we went there and its no joke. My boyfriend got to experience this first hand when we couldn't even get to Malibu or West Hollywood because it sucked so bad. The San Diego freeway could not possibly be any wider and it still doesn't help. Put things in perspective for me here thats for sure. Not that I'd want to move back to LA but If I ever did, I'd have a hard time convincing the boyfriend cause the traffic scared him lol.
I'm not saying LA isn't bad, but honestly, a lot of it is hyped. Sure, it's terrible. But in the short time I lived there, I found numerous back roads to take so I wasn't held hostage by the 405 or the 101. In Connecticut, everyone is funneled through 95 or the Merritt. 8 lanes for a satellite metro of 1+ million = terrible traffic.

Do you commute 95/Merritt daily or are you just going by what you see in Fairfield?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 AM

I am not trying to argue wtih you, just saying my experience there is different. I felt I lived there for 15 years so I experienced it for my entire life I lived there. You are absolutley correct, you live there and you become queen or king of the backroads. This is why I know it there so well, in wall to wall traffic, no worries, time to exit. Its not necessarily "faster" per say but at least you are moving. Yeah the hollywood and san diego freeways are two of the worst. I do agree, the possibilities here are more limited because we have less room to roam on our way to/from work. Also, in LA it so depends on where you live and which direction you are commuting. If you are going against the grain its fine but god help you if you are going with traffic. This is why that scene in LA story is so very funny when its "freeway shooting time" and Steve Martin takes out his gun. Slapsticky and yes a serious manner but this movie is hilarious and makes light of a serious problem. I would often get calls from recruiters with a great paralegal job with a high salary. When they'd tell me the salary, I said let me guess its on the westi side; santa monica, west LA or century city and bingo. Not a dollar amount in this world that would ever make that tempting enough. Back roads won't help you here, a helicopter would lol.

I live in Fairfield and work in greenwich

Old 12-28-2011, 11:42 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:

You should know better than anyone how bad it is, unless you take the train.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
But you're a "Fairfield-Metro parking pass holder", right? So that means you don't regularly commute on the highway. Start doing it - you'll change your tune really fast.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:50 AM

I still don't think its that bad. Until very recently when the new train stop opened and I got my pass I was driving daily. I still drive quite a bit and IMO its very tolerable. The main reason I take the train is to save on gas since its cheaper to get to greenwich by tran than car but I drive more than I take the train. I drove daily from August until a couple weeks ago. Sure its crowded and every once in a while I have a very bad day but overall its about the same time as taking the train, sometimes faster. I think its probably the heaviest commuted area in Connecticut and after what I've experienced in my decade and a half in LA its not as bad. Its not any faster to take the train but its more relaxing cause I can text, play on my tablet or just space out, none of which I can do when I drive However, driving isn't bad at all.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I still don't think its that bad. Until very recently when the new train stop opened and I got my pass I was driving daily. I still drive quite a bit and IMO its very tolerable. The main reason I take the train is to save on gas since its cheaper to get to greenwich by tran than car but I drive more than I take the train. I drove daily from August until a couple weeks ago. Sure its crowded and every once in a while I have a very bad day but overall its about the same time as taking the train, sometimes faster. I think its probably the heaviest commuted area in Connecticut and after what I've experienced in my decade and a half in LA its not as bad. Its not any faster to take the train but its more relaxing cause I can text, play on my tablet or just space out, none of which I can do when I drive However, driving isn't bad at all.
Just as I thought. You have no idea what you're talking about. It just took my wife 2.5 hours to drive 40 miles on 95 last week. Nah - not bad at all...

When I commuted 15 miles on the 405/101 in LA (heading northwest), I'd be home in 15 minutes. I left at 5:15. I do hear you though about heading toward Santa Monica (from 10 to the 110 in Torrance) it would be tough. But that's certainly not 25 miles.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 12-28-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut