Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I know, I know....useless post......but I have to say I really enjoyed last weeks break from the traffic. I hit ZERO traffic last week and this morning due to the holidays and school closing. My commute is from Orange into Westchester, NY.
It was awesome to see no lines of brake lights for a change.Its amazing how much more pleasant your mood becomes without the frustration of traffic. I am really going miss this a lot.
Tomorrow I am guessing will be back to traffic mornings (Exit48-44 nightmare) and traffic nights (Westport area)?
Why cant it be like this everyday and night............
Have you figured out the backroads from Trumbull to Westport yet? When it's really bad, it's a great help.

Also, I find that while the Merritt is better than 95 in the morning, 95 is better at night. You could cut through around Norwalk/Westport and then take the Milford Connector back to Orange.

I have to commend you for doing the Westchester commute. That's a bear. I leave Milford between 8:45-9 every morning and get to my work on the Westport/Norwalk border in 30 minutes usually on the Merritt. The exception is May/June around when school is getting out and September. Traffic really increases then. I think traffic does die down quite a bit starting at 8:30AM. I'm lucky I don't have to be in earlier. At night, I rarely leave before 6 or 7, but when I do - it takes about 35 minutes to get home on 95. My usual leaving at 6:30/7 gets me home in 25 minutes.

Last edited by Stylo; 01-02-2012 at 09:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:06 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I've been doing the ride weekly for over 15 friggin years. I think i know what the hell i'm talking about it. Thanks.
I've done it for years and my wife currently does it, though on 95, not the Merritt. There was never (ever) a full week that was smooth sailing. Doesn't matter how many schools are out.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 01-03-2012 at 05:56 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 05:19 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I know, I know....useless post......but I have to say I really enjoyed last weeks break from the traffic. I hit ZERO traffic last week and this morning due to the holidays and school closing. My commute is from Orange into Westchester, NY.
It was awesome to see no lines of brake lights for a change.Its amazing how much more pleasant your mood becomes without the frustration of traffic. I am really going miss this a lot.
Tomorrow I am guessing will be back to traffic mornings (Exit48-44 nightmare) and traffic nights (Westport area)?
Why cant it be like this everyday and night............
Because so many choose to not live where they work. Think how it stinks for those of us who live & work here to have to deal with it. But, life goes on.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Because so many choose to not live where they work. Think how it stinks for those of us who live & work here to have to deal with it. But, life goes on.
What about those of us that have no choice? You think a Stamford lifestyle is doable on one income?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Let's replace that with, "so many wish/want to live where they work, but in this part of the country even a decent middle class wage can't afford adequate housing for a family, even in unsafe 'ghetto' areas. Part of the reason is "NIMBY" attitudes by those who can afford to live where they work when proposals for more affordable housing to be built come up".

Let's also replace it with, "decent jobs are extremely scarce nowadays and to afford housing, not only do both parents of a family often work f/t and then some, but often to have and keep such jobs they have to work in opposite directions so either one lives near where they work and the other commutes far, or both commute to some degree".

Same thing happens in California. Since I've seen you post things like (not exact wording, but close), "if things stink for you, go look in another part of the country where it's not so bad", well, back at ya.......

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 01-03-2012 at 06:13 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Let's replace that with, "so many wish/want to live where they work, but in this part of the country even a decent middle class wage can't afford adequate housing for a family, even in unsafe 'ghetto' areas. Part of the reason is "NIMBY" attitudes by those who can afford to live where they work when proposals for more affordable housing to be built come up".

Let's also replace it with, "decent jobs are extremely scarce nowadays and to afford housing, not only do both parents of a family often work f/t and then some, but often to have and keep such jobs they have to work in opposite directions so either one lives near where they work and the other commutes far, or both commute to some degree".

Same thing happens in California. Since I've seen you post things like (not exact wording, but close), "if things stink for you, go look in another part of the country where it's not so bad", well, back at ya.......

Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
My dh was loving the reprieve last week, he was able to leave for work a little later in the mornings due to the decrease in traffic. Too bad he can't work closer to home, but he has to go where the money is.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
My husband is a teacher. If Westport or Greenwich is willing to pay him a salary that allows to live in those towns, that would be great. Until then...

Old 01-03-2012, 08:02 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Its not a choice right now. I would love to work where I live. But thats not the case right now. I dont have a job that transfers. I also am not quitting my job as I have been here for a loooong time and I cant lose benefits or be last man in/first one fired, vacation time,seniority and job security,etc.... We moved here from NY a few years ago to be closer to my family. No regrets.
If the economy ever gets better, then we will see....but until then....I am staying put.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Have you figured out the backroads from Trumbull to Westport yet? When it's really bad, it's a great help.

Also, I find that while the Merritt is better than 95 in the morning, 95 is better at night. You could cut through around Norwalk/Westport and then take the Milford Connector back to Orange.

I have to commend you for doing the Westchester commute. That's a bear. I leave Milford between 8:45-9 every morning and get to my work on the Westport/Norwalk border in 30 minutes usually on the Merritt. The exception is May/June around when school is getting out and September. Traffic really increases then. I think traffic does die down quite a bit starting at 8:30AM. I'm lucky I don't have to be in earlier. At night, I rarely leave before 6 or 7, but when I do - it takes about 35 minutes to get home on 95. My usual leaving at 6:30/7 gets me home in 25 minutes.
Yes, I have done that and still do when needed.

Not yet. I dont know the back roads. If I get off, the Nav always directs me back on the Merritt. The commute really is not that bad (only when there is traffic) when its smooth sailing, I dont mind driving. Only complaint would be racking up the mileage on the car. Yes, a job closer to home would be better but until the economy gets better ,I am not looking....especially in my career.
I think hitting the Merritt at 8:45-9 is when the mayhem is in full swing. I hit the Merritt early and if I am not at Exit 48 before 6:30, I am in for a mess from 48-44. Then its smooth sailing all the way to NY. Its just that little part that sucks......but it can tie you up for 20-30 minutes from Exit 48-44 alone. I dont leave work until 6 or so and I usually only hit traffic once I pass Rte 7. That where that annoying sign that says "Delay next _ miles" is lit up. Then its pretty slow from Westport for some reason. But nothing too crazy. Its hit or miss. If its really bad there , I just get off and I know my around from there....for the most part.

Last edited by gmdealerguy; 01-03-2012 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: More info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut